Does "took the religious to task" mean "challenged the religious (things or people)"?

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 02:34 am

Context:

Review of Christopher Hitchens' God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

Christopher Hitchens, the powerhouse intellectual who died in December of 2011, was known throughout his career and life as a brilliant contrarian. Obituaries celebrated him as "the incomparable critic, masterful rhetorician, fiery wit, and fearless bon vivant" and as "a slashing polemicist." He was also, famously, an atheist. Even when he was diagnosed with cancer in 2010, he did not turn to gods, prayers, or religion. Indeed, in an article written for Vanity Fair a few months after his diagnosis, Hitchens took the religious to task. September 20th had been chosen as "Everybody Pray for Hitchens Day" which led him to comment, in typical Hitchens fashion,

Suppose I ditch the principles I have held for a lifetime, in the hope of gaining
favor at the last minute? I hope and trust that no serious person would be at all impressed by such a hucksterish choice... I don't mean to be churlish about any kind intentions, but when September 20th comes, please do not trouble deaf heaven with your bootless cries. Unless, of course, it makes you feel better.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 431 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
FBM
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 02:45 am
@oristarA,
Yes, to 'take someone to task' is to give them a very strong challenge that they probably can't overcome.
oristarA

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 03:01 am
@FBM,
Cool.
Thanks.
FBM

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 06:32 am
@oristarA,
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/tiphat.gif
0 Replies