I am a trans woman, I'd like to talk about it

fbaezer

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 08:01 am
Pantos, this is unexpected news for me!
I had no idea.
I am happy that you are happy with your transition.
Making the right choice is not easy when the choice is tough. So I congratulate you.

Certainly, Mexico City is an OK place to be for transgender people. You have all the legal rights and much more acceptance than in other places (most of the US included, in my opinion).

Pantalones

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 02:17 pm
@fbaezer,
I think I did a pretty good job of hiding all of this, this was unexpected news for almost everyone who knows me. My transition has been fairly smooth, I'm still scared of facing my extended family with whom I've had no contact the past year and a half but most of my "problems" lately have been of the 'cellphone carrier doesn't want to change the name on my contract' variety.

Mexico City has been great, at least the poshy Del Valle, NĂ¡poles, Condesa, Centro parts in which I spend most of my time. No one has been openly rude to me and from what I've seen I agree that I have it much better than most of the US trans people.

It's great to say hello Pancho Smile
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 02:44 pm
@Pantalones,
I often work with little kids who express gender dysphoria. I'd be very interested to hear anything you would like to say about your experiences.

Pantalones

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 05:07 pm
@dlowan,
My early experience would've been so much better if an adult told me that those feelings are not bad, that there are more people like me with lots of different stories and that transitioning is an valid and viable option. I'm not saying that all the children that show gender dysphoria would like to or benefit from transitioning but I think it would've helped me deal with this a lot sooner.

I took a long time to recognize my trans idenetity for many years because of the negative representation of trans people I saw in the media: Ace Ventura, Jerry Springer. When there was a serious discussion it was always "I knew since I was 3", "I never liked any sports or videogames", "no one was surprised when I came out" and I couldn't identify with any of it. I was confused for so long it was only until I saw an trans internet forum where I read so many happy people that had a similar story to mine that I started to realize it really was an option for me.

Times have changed and there a lot more positive examples of trans people in the media. Jazz Jennings is the first name that comes to mind that could speak to a pretty young trans audience, she has a show called "I am Jazz".
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 06:08 pm
@Pantalones,
I think that experiences are changing for the better for kids who are unhappy or confused re gender. I agree, not all of them will continue with these feelings, or be transgender...statistically they're more likely to be gay, anyway.

A lot of parents I see seem to be ok with it all and kids certainly don't get "bad" messages if I can help it!

Other kids when they get older seem to be the main drama, though I imagine lots of kids are still struggling alone or with families who are hostile. Sigh.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2016 06:14 pm
@Pantalones,
Just putting in a word. I am proud for you.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 11:56 am
@dlowan,
Definitely the worst part is struggling alone and not knowing who you can confide in.

One of my friends posted this on facebook today https://vimeo.com/147551380 which might be better than I am Jazz for this particular question. It's a short film about a gender non-conforming kid, it's really sweet.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 12:07 pm
@Pantalones,
I forgot now, you're living in Mexico City and no longer in TJ?

Pantalones

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 01:32 pm
@CalamityJane,
That is correct. I moved over here on Sept '14, I still visit Tijuana (and San Diego for that matter) every 3 months or so.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 09:55 pm
well, to be straight about it, Diana and I have long talked. None of your beeswax.
0 Replies

TooFriendly112

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 04:17 pm
Hi

I live in an experimental community and transpeople has always been a part of our everyday lives. I also have a big sister who is transsexual and they have worked as suppleants for us in school and on field trips.

/ TooFriendly112
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 10:08 am
@TooFriendly112,
TooFriendly112 wrote:

I also have a big sister who is transsexual

This is a big red flag. Everyone I know connected to the trans community would never use that word. They either say transgender or trans.

You do not sound genuine at all.
0 Replies

TooFriendly112

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 10:23 am
@Pantalones,
Hi

Thanks for reaching out, I live where things may not be as they seem. There's a lot of gay people and trans people here. But I must say that I don't thinks its disturbing or brings any problems. There's also a lot of drugs and human trafficking. Any ways I hope things will change but right now it's though. Keep a positive attitude is my advice. Very intresting. I think we can learn a lot from other people.

/TooFriendly112
0 Replies