MANDATORY VOTING

andy31

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 06:29 pm
@Linkat,
You hit the nail! I agree! At least someone here has common sense!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 06:39 pm
@andy31,
andy31 wrote:

dump ass.

What is a dump ass? Is that some new Gay slang I haven't heard of? Cool
0 Replies

andy31

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 07:21 pm
@Real Music,
I do see your point and I would agree with you under condition that we would promote some incentives for those who vote and not punished people who decides not to. You didn't vote - you not eligible for A,B and C. I would still make people exactly aware and understand what they vote for. Example: candidates should have some kind of short info with their name saying what they stand for. And if voter can't named current senators in his state and at least 3 past presidents, he has no business voting.

I'm not acusing you for "stilling" this idea. Perhaps current administration is planning to make voting mandatory for totally different reasons. This can easily get out of control without all of us being involved and vigilant. When improperly implemented, this actually can very easily manipulate the system benefiting only one political party and not the other.
roger

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 07:53 pm
@andy31,
Don't agree. Some take voting from their union leaders; some from religious leaders. Some from who knows where. That's their right. Oh, some prefer not to bother with the whole thing. By staying home, they have essentially cast a vote - which is their right.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 09:00 pm
I would rather someone not vote at all if they're just going to show up and pick somebody at random, just to fulfill their obligation and avoid a fine. I can't think of any way to force someone to make an informed choice.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 09:08 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I would rather someone not vote at all if they're just going to show up and pick somebody at random, just to fulfill their obligation and avoid a fine. I can't think of any way to force someone to make an informed choice.

voting based upon whos commercials you liked the best is basically the same thing, so what we would be doing is further diluting the responsible choosing,
FBM

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 09:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Can't argue with that. Being a professional politician isn't that different from a career in acting, as far as I can tell. We should pay them all minimum wage and then see who volunteers for the job.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 11:00 pm
Everyone has the right to choose not to vote. That still doesn't make not voting the right thing. Voting is each and everyone of our civic duty. Voting is the ultimate act of American patriotism.
roger

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 11:52 pm
@Real Music,
Oh, good. I must have misread your OP.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 11:56 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Everyone has the right to choose not to vote. That still doesn't make not voting the right thing. Voting is each and everyone of our civic duty. Voting is the ultimate act of American patriotism.

when 2 parties collude to keep everyone else out
when 2 parties both collude with the elite against the common man
when 2 parties allow themselves to be bought by the holders of wealth
when 2 parties act with incompetence
when 2 parties act with malice and forethought to abuse the citizens

Then I think not casting a vote for either party might by called for, and it may be the most patriotic act available.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 05:53 pm
@FBM,
Who knows? If voting was mandatory citizens might look into the history of the politicians running in their district and pick the best of a bad lot. They might even find one who is honest rather than one bought by the Koche brothers.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 06:03 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Who knows? If voting was mandatory citizens might look into the history of the politicians running in their district and pick the best of a bad lot. They might even find one who is honest rather than one bought by the Koche brothers.

Likewise if I walk up the the liquor store and buy a scratch lottery ticket I might win $1,000,000
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 06:26 pm
@Real Music,
Mandatory voting?yeah, Right. I like to see that one. You can't force people to vote. Second, a decision under duress isn't a choose nor will it ever work.
argome321

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 06:31 pm
@andy31,
Quote:
In my humble opinion, the country would be much better off if the only eligible voters would be those who would pass a simple civic test. Otherwise they don't know what they vote for.
Making it mandatory equals loosing our liberty. I should have the right to choose not to vote.

You really need to read American history and learn our laws? The only eligibility required is that you are a citizen. And part of being a citizen is exercising your RIGHT to vote or abstain.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 06:31 pm
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:

Mandatory voting?yeah, Right. I like to see that one. You can't force people to vote. Second, a decision under duress isn't a choose nor will it ever work.

So then why is the The Professor yakking about it?
argome321

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 06:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
So then why is the The Professor yakking about it?

He can yak all he wants, That's his right and we should respect it. You have a right to disagree. The right to vote cannot be denied, that doesn't mean that I have to cast it. I have never voted in my life. No one can make me vote and conversely If i do choose to vote I can't be denied. Those are my rights. How I exercise them Is my business and no one else.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 07:57 pm
Mandatory voting??? nah...we have enough dumb asses voting now...they're called democrats
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 11:58 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

That's what I would hope for, but I don't want to underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. (Carlin)

Also, has anyone considered womandatory voting? It would probably work better...

OK, I'll just get me hat....
argome321

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 05:44 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Also, has anyone considered womandatory voting? It would probably work better...

Women out number men....you think that's a good thing? There's gerrymandering Very Happy
FBM

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 06:48 am
@argome321,
I'm trying to think what to do with that...gerimandering? Carriemandering? Girliemandering? Gerrywomandering?

Anyway, I'm perfectly OK with having women decide who gets in office. Then we could blame all our troubles on them. Wink