Cognitive Dissonance and George W. Bush

PDiddie

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:42 pm
I've always enjoyed the phrase 'cognitive dissonance'.

It's quite often used to refer to the feeling one gets right after they have bought a new car, and essentially goes like this:

"Oh my God, is this right?" Also known as: "Did I make the wrong choice?"

But cognitive dissonance is actually a much more complex state of mind, and to apply its definition only to pre-purchase or post-purchase anxiety does not do the application of understanding the psychology a favor.

Consider the more clinical definitions:

Quote:
The realization of contradictions in one's own attitudes and behaviors.

Quote:
The anxiety that occurs when there is a discrepancy between a person's knowledge and beliefs.

Quote:
An unpleasant emotional state that is felt when there is a logical inconsistency among cognitive elements.

Quote:
The cognitive process whereby an individual's values and beliefs are challenged. The challenging process is necessary in moral reasoning to wrestle with moral dilemmas.

So the experience of cognitive dissonance occurs anytime there is a contradiction between one's knowledge, usually newly acquired, and one's belief system, rationalizations and justifications.

I bring all of this up because it has become obvious to me that there are scores of thousands of Republicans experiencing cognitive dissonance associated with voting for George W. Bush in November.

Those of us with open minds and who have been paying attention know that Bush has, shall we kindly say, been less than forthright about a great many of his assertions, and not just the ones regarding Iraq and the war.

We know Cheney is full of it.

So why the dissonance, exactly? Why do so many Republicans simply refuse to be enlightened?

Here's a handy explanation from a social psychologist writing in Newsday:

Quote:
...With a middle ground made less likely, it forces us as the recipients of both positions to make a choice. In a rational world, people can make an assessment about the motives of a member of the administration in a re-election year versus a bipartisan commission that is not involved in the election. In a rational world, the credibility of the commission on this point would be virtually unassailable.

As we know, though, people are not always rational. The need to reduce our dissonance is one of the forces that compromise our rationality. People who identify with Bush and Cheney for any number of reasons will have difficulty resolving dissonance by dismissing their position.

Maybe this could explain the Harris poll numbers:

Quote:
Many Americans believe al-Qaeda may have worked alongside the regime of Saddam Hussein, according to a poll by Harris Interactive. 69 per cent of respondents believe the deposed Iraqi leader supported the terrorist network, while 22 per cent disagree.

In the end, those that can't take the dissonance will tune out the facts -- or they will stop voting for the Republicans.

Bush's -- and Cheney's and Rice's and all of the rest of the prevaricators' -- behavior puts the latter option in play. Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 882 • Replies: 12
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:30 pm
*sigh* No one wants to fight with me over this? :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:42 pm
Let's let these guys fight it out ...

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

from http://www.cbc.ca/news/iraq/issues_analysis/quotes.html

(lots of cool stuff at that site - almost makes some of this too easy :wink: )
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:27 pm
ehB, has your Setantaman given up the site for good?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:31 pm
Can't argue with ole pdiddie, not on this one anyhow.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:35 pm
Sounds like how the DNC feels about nominating Kerry.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 05:23 am
Looks that way, PDiddie.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:08 am
ehBeth wrote:
Looks that way, PDiddie.

*heavy sigh* Well, tell him we miss him...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:17 am
Yeah, too bad about Set, miss his posts.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:21 am
there actually were times I agreed with Set and that always makes me nervous.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:23 am
set was often the high point of my day.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:59 pm
Back on topic:

RUMSFELD - 14 March 2004 - Face the Nation:

Quote:
Sec. RUMSFELD: Well, you're the ... only people I've heard use the phrase `immediate threat.' I didn't. [...] if you have any citations, I'd like to see 'em.
Mr. FRIEDMAN: We have one here. [...] `No terrorist state poses a greater or more immediate threat to the security of our people and the stability of the world and the regime of Saddam Hussein in Iraq.'

CHENEY - 17 June 2004 - Capitol Report:

Quote:
Gloria Borger: "Well, let's get to Mohammed Atta for a minute, because you mentioned him as well. You have said in the past that it was quote, 'pretty well confirmed.'"

Vice President Cheney: "No, I never said that."

CHENEY - 8 December 2001 - Meet the Press:

Quote:
Vice-President Cheney: "It's been pretty well confirmed that he did go to Prague and he did meet with a senior official of the Iraqi intelligence service in Czechoslovakia last April."

Mr. Secretary, Mr. Vice-President:

Your pants are on fire.
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:50 pm
lol that was from Jon Stewart on The Daily Show the other night. lmao, luv Stewart.
0 Replies