• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,918 • Replies: 82

raprap

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:09 am
@gungasnake,
Really! Conserva--f**king---pedia.

How about these 'social' effects--An explosion in the application of the 'Theory of Evolution" in medicine and agriculture that has increased the food supply and general health increasing the average life expectancy by at least 25 years..

Unfortunately this social effect has resulted in an explosion of GanjaSnaKKKes that actually consider the claptrap Conserva--f**king--pedia a credible sociapolitical reference.

Rap
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:25 am
@raprap,
Quote:
An explosion in the application of the 'Theory of Evolution" in medicine and agriculture
How so ? Can you name some ?
raprap

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:40 am
@Ionus,
DNA, Genetics, Bioengineering, Agricultural Engineering, Bacteriology, Geology
maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:48 am
I love Conservapedia! They have their own version of the Bible, where they change the parts of the Bible that they don't think are Conservative enough.

It's hilarious.
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:59 am
@raprap,
No, I want to know a specific discovery not a brief list of words you looked up . Like the discovery of x-rays, or penicillin . That sort of thing .
raprap

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:14 am
@Ionus,
Buckaroo! Those were the first few ones off the top of my head--if I wanted to look something up I would have exceeded the page limit.

If you want specific examples, go to a library and pick up a high school textbook printed in the last half century.

I know, I know, but this time follow the references----they'll be long and deep.

Rap

raprap

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:19 am
@maxdancona,
HaW! An anti-Jefferson Bible.

THE
Jefferson Bible
The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth
Extracted Textually from the Gospels

Compiled by Thomas Jefferson

Rap
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:07 am
@raprap,
I have heard that claim made many times about evolution and I have yet to see a specific scientific advancement that needed it . Surely you can name one ? What you named are areas of science and they were not dependent on evolution for advances .
gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:10 am
@Ionus,
Ruprup is a blowhard. I have him on ignore, as should you.
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:14 am
@raprap,
Quote:
DNA, Genetics, Bioengineering,
These are all the same really but tell me how they needed evolution to make advances ?
Quote:
Agricultural Engineering
??? Do you mean like a better plough ?
Quote:
Bacteriology,
To study germs we needed to understand evolution ? The germ theory was proposed in the mid-16th century and validated in the next century...way before Darwin .
Quote:
Geology
Does not need evolution, it needs plate Tectonic Theory .
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:16 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
I have him on ignore, as should you.
I refuse to have anyone on ignore...that is always the first step for Nazis, Islamists...some of the nastiest movements start of that way . We should always be open .
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:37 am
@Ionus,
gungsnake puts almost everyone on ignore when he cant ccept their views.

"Directed Evolution" has become a biotech industry term that is common lunchtime talk daily.
I don't know whether you are kidding or are serious about doubting the the developments in many technologies that are evolutionary theory based.

One teeny area I use daily is the genetically developed enzyme that is based upon the response that one bacterium has to rare earth e;ements. The enzyme, developed from the trans RNA of a specific bacterium, allows me to sample streams and see whether theres ny Lanthanide elements in the water coming from upstream. Its a technology that has blossomed in everything from medicine to forensic sciences and is only about 15 years old. (remember how pregnancy testing involved using rabbits and urine?) This was one of the first areas of applied "directed evolution which later became a tool to develop whole batches of enzymes that have utility in so many areas that you probably use one and don't even know it.

Many sensors in car electronic systems use emzymes that respond by developing a color that can be sensed by a kind of laser which transmits the sensor iformation as a color change and lets you know that your oil is getting crappy..

There are hundreds of mdicines that require pplication of macro evolution to develop. There are also bacterial and Advanced plant resistances to enzymes, antibacterials , and ag chemicals like GLYPHOSATE. (Not all information on applied evolution is GOOD NEWS you know)

Geologists use evolution to help us pinpoint energy supplies. We use conodonts and foraminiferans of specific species that occur in several development clades
We know that these critters have an affinity for the original organic "mattes" that developed the oil and gas reserves (as well as the migration sediments). When we drill, we usually NEVER hit the exacat horizons o but we can hone in on the optimal zones by knowing the evolutionary sequences of these forams and conodonts. (Its a tool).
We use fossil genes to track the development of characteristics of living species (like Arctic fish or mammals). We can tell where their populations originate ,just as we can trace our own ancestral migrations by the "fossil" genes in our own species.
The problem with thi type of inquiry ("of what use is evolution" is that there is a broad based perceived irrelevance of what evolution is about.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:59 am
@Ionus,
Plate tectonics was , in part, discovered to be a valid construct by the theory of evolution by nat selection. All theDevonian deposists that surround the Atlantic Ocean basin were shown to have been separated Africa/Eurasia, from N/S America in a temporal sequence that ollows a "suture" that started in the South and moved northward. The evolving species that continued to migrate freely (until their section of Gondwana/Laurasia was separated from the Americas) follow perfectly, the time sequence in which these various species lived (It was mostly during the time of dicosaurs and explains (lso perfectly) the many related (but separated species) that lived in South and North America and in Africa and Europe.

Plate Tectonics helps map the path of evolution of the dinosaurs and the megafauna of the Cenozoic.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 04:46 pm
Some of the individual items in the OP are interesting to say the least...

Quote:
There have been many social effects of evolution in regards to its acceptance by various individuals in the course of history. The theory of evolution has been influential in regards to Social Darwinism, Nazism, Communism, and racism.[1][2][3][4][5]

Adolph Hitler
‎The staunch evolutionist Stephen Gould admitted the following:

“ Haeckel was the chief apostle of evolution in Germany.... His evolutionary racism; his call to the German people for racial purity and unflinching devotion to a "just" state; his belief that harsh, inexorable laws of evolution ruled human civilization and nature alike, conferring upon favored races the right to dominate others; the irrational mysticism that had always stood in strange communion with his brave words about objective science - all contributed to the rise of Nazism. - Stephen J. Gould, "Ontogeny and Phylogeny," Belknap Press: Cambridge MA, 1977, pp.77-78). [6]
gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 04:46 pm
Quote:
Robert E.D. Clark in his work Darwin: Before and After wrote concerning Hitler's evolutionary racism:

“ The Germans were the higher race, destined for a glorious evolutionary future. For this reason it was essential that the Jews should be segregated, otherwise mixed marriages would take place. Were this to happen, all nature’s efforts 'to establish an evolutionary higher stage of being may thus be rendered futile' (Mein Kampf). [7]
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 04:47 pm
Quote:
Dr. Clark also wrote “Adolf Hitler’s mind was captivated by evolutionary teaching — probably since the time he was a boy. Evolutionary ideas — quite undisguised — lie at the basis of all that is worst in Mein Kampf — and in his public speeches”.[8]

Richard Hickman in his work Biocreation concurs and wrote the following:

“ It is perhaps no coincidence that Adolf Hitler was a firm believer in and preacher of evolutionism. Whatever the deeper, profound, complexities of his psychosis, it is certain that [the concept of struggle was important for]. . . his book, Mein Kampf clearly set forth a number of evolutionary ideas, particularly those emphasizing struggle, survival of the fittest and extermination of the weak to produce a better society. [9]
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 04:48 pm
Quote:
Noted evolutionary anthropologists Sir Arthur Keith conceded the following in regards to Hitler:

“The German Fuhrer, as I have consistently maintained, is an evolutionist; he has consciously sought to make the practices of Germany conform to the theory of evolution”.[10]
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 04:49 pm
Quote:
B. Wilder-Smith wrote the following regarding Nazism and the theory of evolution:

“ One of the central planks in Nazi theory and doctrine was …evolutionary theory [and] … that all biology had evolved … upward, and that … less evolved types … should be actively eradicated [and] … that natural selection could and should be actively aided, and therefore [the Nazis] instituted political measures to eradicate … Jews, and … blacks, whom they considered as “underdeveloped”.’ [11]
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 05:05 pm
@gungasnake,
That's A E Wilder Smith, gunga. He believed that the Paluxey footprints that apprentlyshowed dinosaurs nd humans together in the shale river bottom PROVED that men and dinosaurs lived together.

Sarwin's theory was purely biological , ascribing these wackadoo attachements to Nazism, and eugenics is purely not part of Darwins work.