izzythepush

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 03:27 pm
@Patches,
You're the one hearing voices, that sounds pretty delusional to me.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 04:02 pm
@Patches,
but Patches, at no point in that scripture does it speak of or describe a halo.
Patches

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 05:06 pm
@Smileyrius,
The Halo is found in scripture as the Spirit of God alighting and remaining upon Jesus. Look again.

http://www.hauntedhovel.com/images/orb9.jpghttp://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/files/2014/01/halo.jpg

Romans 10:9-10. that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Smileyrius

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:19 pm
@Patches,
We have come full circle here Patches (no pun intended), there is no support in scripture that I have seen for a halo. I have explained that your translation has mistranslated the word erchomai as "alightened", but it is a poor representation of what was actually written.

I also have no doubt that in much of Catholic imagery and architecture, since the conversion of the Romans has included halos, depictions of the sun, solar blazes, crescents, orbs, solar wheels etc but their adoption by the catholic faith makes them no less pagan, no more Christian, and still without scriptural backing
FBM

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:50 pm
Just another symbol stolen from pre-existing mythology:

Quote:
With it not being found in the Bible, the halo is both pagan and non-Christian in its origin. Many centuries before Christ, natives decorated their heads with a crown of feathers to represent their relationship with the sun god. The halo of feathers upon their heads symbolized the circle of light that distinguished the shining divinity or god in the sky. As a result, these people came to believe that adopting such a nimbus or halo transformed them into a kind of divine being.

However, interestingly enough, before the time of Christ, this symbol had already been used by not only the Hellenistic Greeks in 300 B.C., but also by the Buddhists as early as the first century A.D. In Hellenistic and Roman art, the sun-god, Helios, and Roman emperors often appear with a crown of rays. Because of its pagan origin, the form was avoided in early Christian art, but a simple circular nimbus was adopted by Christian emperors for their official portraits.

From the middle of the fourth century, Christ was portrayed with this imperial attribute, and depictions of His symbol, the Lamb of God, also displayed halos. In the fifth century, halos were sometimes given to angels, but it was not until the sixth century that the halo became customary for the Virgin Mary and other saints. For a period during the fifth century, living persons of eminence were depicted with a square nimbus.

Then, throughout the Middle Ages, the halo was used regularly in representations of Christ, the angels, and the saints. Often, Christ’s halo is quartered by the lines of a cross or inscribed with three bands, interpreted to signify His position in the Trinity. Round halos are typically used to signify saints, meaning those people considered as spiritually gifted. A cross within a halo is most often used to represent Jesus. Triangular halos are used for representations of the Trinity. Square halos are used to depict unusually saintly living personages.

As we’ve stated at the outset, the halo was in use long before the Christian era. It was an invention of the Hellenists in 300 B.C. and is not found anywhere in the Scriptures. In fact, the Bible gives us no example for the bestowal of a halo upon anyone. If anything, the halo has been derived from the profane art forms of ancient secular art traditions.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-halos.html#ixzz3VXi2PMVR
neologist

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:01 pm
@Patches,
But Squeaky;
All 4 Gospel writers describe the holy spirit in the shape of a dove. In fact, the word for halo, nimbus, does not appear in the Bible, putting the halo in a class with other unscriptural teachings such as:
Trinity
Transubstantiation
Hellfire
Rapture
Unknown tongue

Should I go on?

The one bright spot here is your apparent zeal.
So, like Paul, there is hope for your adjustment.
Patches

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:10 pm
@Smileyrius,
According to Catholic Information, "the Halo is symbolic of divinity and supreme power." Divinity means, of, or pertaining to God. The Holly Spirit is God, the third person of the Holy Trinity.
neologist

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:11 pm
@FBM,
A good read, identifying the pagan origins of nominal christianity is The Two Babylons, by Alexander Hyslop.

One of the things he pointed out is the parallel etymology of the words satan and titan.
Had their preachers been awake at pulpit, how many folks would have booked passage on the R.M.S. Satanic?
neologist

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:13 pm
@Patches,
Patches wrote:
According to Catholic Information, "the Halo is symbolic of divinity and supreme power." Divinity means, of, or pertaining to God. The Holly Spirit is God, the third person of the Holy Trinity.
And we should accept Catholic information because? . . .
0 Replies

Patches

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:13 pm
@FBM,
Garbage. Throw it out. Read my opening post again. And start all over.
Patches

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:15 pm
@neologist,
The Holy Spirit "descends like a dove." He is not in the form of a dove.
neologist

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:21 pm
@Patches,
Patches wrote:
And we should accept the arguments of your opening post because? . . .

BTW, I was born and raised Catholic, faithful until I learned of characters like Eymerico and Pacelli.

I was never taught the holy spirit was photogenic.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:25 pm
@Patches,
Patches, interestingly in Luke 3:22, it uses the word "Somatikos" when describing the holy spirit as a dove, you might find it interesting to look it up. Strong's reference G4984
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:26 pm
@Patches,
Hmm. I believe it was Luke who mentioned "in form like a dove", but notwithstanding . . . None of them mentioned in the form of a nimbus.
Patches

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:28 pm
@neologist,
You would believe Alexander Hyslop over the Holy Roman Catholic Church? You must be out of your mind.
Patches

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:33 pm
@neologist,
"in bodily form, descending as a dove" is more like it.

Here is a picture of His bodily form.

http://www.hauntedhovel.com/images/orb9.jpg
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:42 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

A good read, identifying the pagan origins of nominal christianity is The Two Babylons, by Alexander Hyslop.

One of the things he pointed out is the parallel etymology of the words satan and titan.
Had their preachers been awake at pulpit, how many folks would have booked passage on the R.M.S. Satanic?

Laughing
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:46 pm
@Patches,
Patches wrote:

I've already read your OP and found all sorts of illogical non sequiturs in it:

Quote:
John 1:32. John testified saying, "I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him.

The Spirit of God alighting and remaining upon Jesus appeared as a Halo.

That passage says nothing about a halo. Somebody made that idea up, or yet, stole it from another religion, and foisted it off on the gullible. It doesn't matter how much you want it to be true. If you don't have the evidence, you don't have anything. Anybody can make the sort of photographs you're claiming to be halos and spirits. If I get time this weekend, I'll make a few for you.
neologist

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 07:47 pm
@Patches,
Actually, I believe the Bible over the "Holy" Roman Catholic Church. Hyslop, after tracing the disgusting history of the trinity doctrine, still believed it. He happened to be a Lutheran minister, BTW.

But his research and reasoning is very good. I suggest an eyes open analysis, in the tradition of the Bereoans.

Study and decide for yourself. The Catholic Church has been inundated with the blood of innocents.
0 Replies

Patches

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:03 pm
@FBM,
The minds reach goes as far as one can see with it.