Patches

Sat 16 May, 2015 08:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
It is not I who is in Satan's clutches Frank.
0 Replies

Patches

Sat 16 May, 2015 08:43 am
@izzythepush,
Jesus is the truth.

John 14:6. Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
FBM

Sat 16 May, 2015 09:01 am
@Patches,
Ishtar is the truth. The "evidence" for Ishtar is much older than that for your Bronze Age myth, you evil infidel! Repent or suffer Ishtar's wrath!

neologist

Sat 16 May, 2015 09:04 am
@FBM,
Catholics already worship Ishtar the week after Palm Sunday.
FBM

Sat 16 May, 2015 09:06 am
@neologist,
Good point. Although they deny it...
Patches

Sat 16 May, 2015 09:23 am
@FBM,
Why don't you show some respect and stop trolling on the Christian threads that I have started.
FBM

Sat 16 May, 2015 09:30 am
@Patches,
Are those the words that your Jesus would speak? Shall I quote your scripture about loving those who disparage you? Who's the fakir here? Laughing

Where's your proof? Where are the kangaroo fossils?

Edit: I see that you dishonestly edited your original post. Nice work, charlatan. From here on out, I'll be sure to quote you, rather than take you on good "faith."
izzythepush

Sat 16 May, 2015 10:57 am
@Patches,
That's proof of something said in a revised Gospel.

Quote:
According to some, the Gospel of John developed over a period of time in various stages, summarized by Raymond E. Brown as follows:
1.An initial version based on personal experience of Jesus;
2.A structured literary creation by the evangelist which draws upon additional sources;
3.The final harmony that presently exists in the New Testament canon, around 85–90 AD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_John

So that line could easily have been added by an enthusiastic editor some 50 odd years after the event happened. The canonical Gospels are mostly third, fourth, fifth or even higher accounts of something that happened. There is a hope amongst the believers that there may be a witness somewhere at the beginning, but it's just a hope.

Even so there's always Chinese whispers. Jesus may have been saying, 'I am gay, strewth, strike a light, no one uses a barber for free' in a heated argument about hairstyles and sexuality.

You're like the Medieval congregation happy to have the Bible remain in Latin so priests can tell them what's in it and what they have to think. You may be able to read it in English, but you're still unthinking, happy to let politicians from hundreds of years ago decide what you hear about Jesus, and what you don't. It's about as reliable as Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur in terms of who said what, what actually happened, and who even existed.
Patches

Sat 16 May, 2015 11:46 am
@izzythepush,
That fact that it is in the Holy Bible as legitimate scripture is all that needs to be said.
neologist

Sat 16 May, 2015 12:06 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
. . . Where are the kangaroo fossils?
I'm not 100% sure because I did not have my camera with me then. But I believe it's possible kangaroo ancestors walked off the ark.

But, even if that had been the case, there are many more seemingly unexplained scatterings of animal species for whch we have only speculation. And how did that box even float? We could ruminate endlessly over the list.

So why believe the flood account? I have a number of reasons. One that I find intriguing is the similarity between the "sons of the true God" marrying women, the traits of their offspring, and the religions of Greece and Rome. Coincidence? Post hoc transcription? Maybe. The words 'satan' and 'titan' both essentially mean 'rebel'.

Lots of other things - the universality of flood stories among diverse socioethnic groups is another. I could go on until your eyes glaze over.

The bottom line is partly in the object lessons for us:
Noah obeyed to the letter.
The folks who died knew of the demonic violence in which they lived, but were more concerned with ordinary life than with Noah's clear warning.
Whatever Noah may have lacked, God certainly had the power to provide.
izzythepush

Sat 16 May, 2015 03:29 pm
@Patches,
Why is that legitimate? Why are you so desperate to have other people do your thinking for you?
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 16 May, 2015 03:51 pm
@Patches,
I mean no offense, Patch; but your inability to make a defense of your faith belies its validity. Simply stating "it's true because I know it's true" may be sufficient for a blog, but has no merit in a debate.
0 Replies

FBM

Sat 16 May, 2015 05:45 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
. . . Where are the kangaroo fossils?
I'm not 100% sure because I did not have my camera with me then. But I believe it's possible kangaroo ancestors walked off the ark.

And then all the way to Australia? Across the water? The average lifespan of a kangaroo in the wild is 6 years. It would've taken quite a few kangaroo generations for them to hop from the Middle East to Australia, even if there had been a land bridge, which there wasn't. Those that died along the way would've left their bones behind, unless you want to posit that the living roos somehow decided to stuff the bones in their pouches and haul them all to Ozzieland. So I ask: Where did all the kangaroo bones go? Of course, I'm not even specifically talking about kangaroos. I could pick the jaguar or polar bear or any species not native to the Middle East. There is no fossil trail of any of them leading out of the Middle East, back to their original habitats. Why?

Quote:
But, even if that had been the case, there are many more seemingly unexplained scatterings of animal species for whch we have only speculation.

Such as?

Quote:
And how did that box even float?

We haven't even established yet that it ever existed, so I think this is jumping the gun a bit.

Quote:
We could ruminate endlessly over the list.

So why believe the flood account? I have a number of reasons. One that I find intriguing is the similarity between the "sons of the true God" marrying women, the traits of their offspring, and the religions of Greece and Rome. Coincidence? Post hoc transcription? Maybe. The words 'satan' and 'titan' both essentially mean 'rebel'.

Lots of other things - the universality of flood stories among diverse socioethnic groups is another. I could go on until your eyes glaze over.

The bottom line is partly in the object lessons for us:
Noah obeyed to the letter.
The folks who died knew of the demonic violence in which they lived, but were more concerned with ordinary life than with Noah's clear warning.
Whatever Noah may have lacked, God certainly had the power to provide.

With all due respect, this is all claim (some of which even your fellow believers dispute) and no evidence. You start with a 'why' question, but then go on to simply report further speculation on the claim. What I'm looking for is evidence. Lots of people claim contradictory things. How is a rational person to sort through the false claims if not by examining the evidence?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 17 May, 2015 10:51 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

So why believe the flood account?

The universality of flood stories among diverse socioethnic groups is another. I could go on until your eyes glaze over.

There have been devastating floods in different areas of the world throughout the millennia. There was one along the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers a couple of decades ago. There is no scientific proof of a single world wide flood during human beings' habitation on earth.
0 Replies

timur

Sat 23 May, 2015 07:06 am
Photograph of the holy spirit:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/dawn/20150520/pia19559-16.jpg
neologist

Sat 23 May, 2015 08:55 am
@timur,
As uno hoo would say. Laughing
Your guess is as good as any.

I sure ain't gunna go up there to find out.
0 Replies

GorDie

Fri 26 Jun, 2015 06:53 pm
@Patches,
That photographs are not mysterious at all. The lens is out of focus. I see the same Circles through the wholes in my Hat, through my hair, when I squint through my eyelashes.

I am a Christian hindu Islamic mythologist.

srry I never read the article. With such a ridiculous catch phrase to start of the topic. I just go straight to the point.

however, (technically) I agree XD based on the premise. Jesus IS the Light of the World. way to defend your ignorant self with Faith in the Word of God.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Wed 5 Aug, 2015 09:09 am
@Patches,
I've seen photos of flying saucers, aliens, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness Monster. Am I suppose to believe in these because of a photo?
0 Replies