The rationalization of our own Belief Systems

alikimr

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 01:01 pm
It is always a disquieting puzzlement that on the very same evidence and argument different conclusions by some ofthe various observers and participants.It is not uncommon to hear the reason for this is caused by the "fact" that the cleverness and intelligence of some of the people involved was not able to properly evaluate all the implications and possibilities........or access to the complete set of facts was not available to some....etc., etc.
Although the above explanations may serve as an accurate representation on many issues, particularlyin those instances dealing with everyday occurances,it would be foolhardy to assume that on major issues of substance, when participants in a "learned" discussion have equally sound academic backgrounds. equally sound world knowledge,....that their differring conclusions were arrived at because of the simplistic reasons noted earlier above.
The problem could be that perhaps we give too much credibility to the thinking process itself...that is, that thinking "rationally"
about the facts on any subject one could, and would eventually arrive at the "truth".
Our brain evolved by using it to solve the "how" portion of our basic survival problems, and it was not necessary to use the "why"
questioning mode during our early evolutionary history.In our more recent human history, however, it would appear that the "why" portion of the questions raised by our brain matter are being answered by our
emotional and cultural needs....which in themselves are survival mechanisms. In the last analysis, we use "reason" to support our
beliefs....in short, we each "rationalize" the belief system we have adopted,by choice or by chance.
This can be one of humanity's major problems---our subjectivity----resulting by the "necessity" inherent in our Human Neurological Condition.
What are the thoughts of my confreres in A2K on this subject? I would appreciate receiving your bekiefs and/or rationalizations
on this aspect of our thinking process.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,277 • Replies: 57
No top replies

alikimr

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 01:15 pm
Whenever the above topic comes up I am reminded by Woody Allen's remark that rationalization is even more important than sex.
His supporting argument for this position was ...."how many days can you go without rationalizing?:
I must tell my A2K friends here that this same question was posed a few years ago by me in an other Philosophy Forum and I am repeating it here because I truly expect that some
interesting positions will be offered herein.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:03 am
Whether our belief systems were adopted by deliberate choice or by osmosis, challenges to them make us uncomfortable. We rely on beliefs to give meaning and stability to our lives in the face of uncertainty.

How open you are to conflicting ideas may be determined by how much you have invested in your existing beliefs. You might not care if the speed of light was found to vary, but you would be very upset if the "facts" regarding the existence of a god to whom you had devoted your life, heart and immortal soul (and 10% of your assets) were challenged. If your belief system is inflexible, any data that conflicts with it must be discounted or rationalized away.

It is not surprising that different people reach widely different conclusions from the same "set of facts" since each mind that processes them has unique experiences, skills, and biases. We tend to pick out a few facts (usually those that support our position) and ignore the rest. We assign greater weight to data from trusted sources (those on "our side") if we believe that opposing sources are inherently biased or fraudulent. We see patterns and correlations where none actually exist. We devise seemingly logical arguments to convince ourselves that we are right.

Given the fuzzy logic system that we use, I doubt if we will ever agree on fundamental truths. But as long as a belief system enables its followers to live a satisfactory life without harming others, it may not matter how illogical some of the beliefs are.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:28 am
Excellent post, Terry. I am in complete agreement.

If I may, I'd like to comment on one point you make:
Terry wrote:
How open you are to conflicting ideas may be determined by how much you have invested in your existing beliefs.

Investment often involves "due diligence". That is, we believe in a stock, but we scrutinize the financial statements, assess the competition, and analyze the market before we make a call to the broker. And if we are clever, no matter how good the equity looks on the face of it, we do not bet our life savings initially: we continue to investigate the company and monitor its progress.

If the broker pedals another stock, we take it under consideration (i.e., "we are open to conflicting ideas") but we require at least as much depth of knowledge in the competition as we have invested in our existing portfolio. Until then, we remain skeptical of the conflicting idea, of course. Unfortunately, it is often the case that the broker's understanding of the competition is considerably less than our own understanding of the stock of our choice.

But there is no question that we do, indeed, "rationalize the belief system we have adopted".
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:49 am
Hey now! I don't like this! :p
You're attacking the basics with which we hope to come to a general truth, which we all want to do here. The premise being that by rational thought uttered in words we can come to new and more accurate conclusions. Now, I was kidding, you're not attacking the basics of course. We're here to find both how and why.

Because they are interlinked and in some way, imo, the same thing. But if you want to differentiate their meaning, fine. Let's get back to the basics of how we're doing what and why(ok, not why, but this was a how and why discussion so I felt obliged to say why Smile. So, you feel why is a potentially more import question than how.

Fine, let's see what other basic (grammatically speaking) questions we have. A list: Why, how, when, where, who and what. Ok, so why is when not important? Because time may not exist? Because it's relative? Excluding therefor on grammatical basis? Why(hihi) can't we do the same with why then? Which also refers to reason, just as much if not more(or less, WHATEVER. I DON'T KNOW) then how.

Next in line(yes, I'm not one to even obey my own order. I'm one chaotic mind): Who? Ok, we can't say, who does it work. But we can go over to the thread about consciousness or about god. Who being the question of entity. Perhaps this holds all answers. Perhaps not. Perhaps it's a part of the bigger picture (perhaps it also includes the full understanding when one makes an analogy).

What? I think this is the question we're all really asking ourselves. Unless you just look at what as matter and energy (and so on? If you must use other scientific concepts to explain everything)

Where? Time-Space continuum. Space problem as When. Want me to use hard words to make my point? I'm sure somebody will come along shortly with terms such as flux. The point it, they are dependant when used as concepts to measure our reality on a grander scale.

I'll stop right here for now, waiting for you all to correct and/or stop me Wink
(Spellcheck didn't find anything and I don't want to reread everything, please contact me if I made some basic mistakes regarding the english language)
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:14 am
Re: The rationalization of our own Belief Systems
alikimr wrote:
Our brain evolved by using it to solve the "how" portion of our basic survival problems, and it was not necessary to use the "why"
questioning mode during our early evolutionary history.
One might be hard pressed to make a case for any selective advantage provided by 'the "why" questioning mode' at all!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:16 am
I suspect - and this is all fascinating, by the way, great topic - that evolution, as applying to the thought process, dropped off the map when the first 'why?s' began to become popular.

"the 'birth' of rationalization"!

the 'why' was a new kind of question; and the strangest thing about it was that even the most powerful and oldest of the tribe could not devise the answers.

here deception (back to evolutionary survival techniques) came into play - the answers must be 'invented'!

and one by one, there was a myth for every why!

true rational thought involves discarding every concept, idea, or even axiom, that is 'resident in memory', and starting from scratch, wresting reliable evidence from every 'how' available to be applied to the growing backlog of the 'why's.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:23 am
BoGoWo wrote:
true rational thought
A myth if ever there was one! Wink
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:36 am
touche, eh!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:59 am
Terry said it best; there will always exist differences of opinion, and that's okay as long as we do no harm on the basis of what we believe.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:34 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
there will always exist differences of opinion, and that's okay as long as we do no harm on the basis of what we believe.
unfortunately, there will likely be differences of opinion about whether or not we are doing harm.

An oft-mentioned example of "harm done on the basis of belief" is that of missionaries to primitive peoples. However, if you weight the testimony of those primitive peoples higher than that of (say) James Michener, who has his own collection of axes to grind, you might discover that many primitive peoples are actually grateful for the gentle introduction to the modern world provided to them by missionaries. The exploitation of primitive peoples by missionaries sometimes occurs, to be sure; but the exploitation of primitive peoples who have the misfortune to encounter the modern world via developers or slave traders is of much greater likelihood. A great book to read for a "native's-eye-view" is The Spirit of the Rainforest
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:38 am
jnhof, There are pros and cons on whether missionaries have done harm or done good. It depends a great deal on which side of the fence you're on.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:43 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
jnhof, There are pros and cons on whether missionaries have done harm or done good
Indeed; I was using it as an example of how the "harm" might, in itself, be an subject of contention. If it were up to me, I'd go with the natives' side of the fence to make a decision on whether the good outweighs the bad, or vice-versa.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:54 am
jnh, Your assumption about finding the answer from the natives is unrealistic. Once people are brainwashed into any religion, they will answer in the affrimative. Only outsiders will have a better crack at assessing harm or good. Is religion good? The majority will answer in the affirmative. Is that really truth and logic? I don't think so.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:44 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Your assumption about finding the answer from the natives is unrealistic. ... Only outsiders will have a better crack at assessing harm or good.
I fear that you are correct in the first, and less so in the second. Unrealistic, perhaps, but no less realistic than asking "outsiders", who are equally likely to be biased. Wink
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:44 am
Quote:
An oft-mentioned example of "harm done on the basis of belief" is that of missionaries to primitive peoples. However, if you weight the testimony of those primitive peoples higher than that of (say) James Michener, who has his own collection of axes to grind, you might discover that many primitive peoples are actually grateful for the gentle introduction to the modern world provided to them by missionaries.

you should watch "the mission" (i think it's called) with robert deniro...it's a really good movie which focuses heavily on this issue.

alikimr, you asked me to give my feedback on this issue...but Terry already said everythign I could say on this topic.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:47 am
stuh505 wrote:
you should watch "the mission"
Excellent movie Smile
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:59 am
I find this a bit of a "null question" because the assumption of "same" as in "same evidence" ultimately implies "same social history" for interlocuters. Since this is unlikely (!) why are we surprised when "different" conclusions are reached ?

i.e Same/Different is a function of purposes and needs of the observer. The dimension has no objective reality.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:56 pm
fresco, And that's a fact. Wink
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:03 am
one important point that has not been considered re: the "missionary/aboriginals" subject, is 'intent';
while the intent of the missionary is to ', in their deluded consciousness, improve the lives of the locals, who it could be argued, often have been having fuller, more meaningful lives than could be expected under the 'yoke of whatever religious beliefs are to be imposed upon them.
But secondarily the true cause of decimation, is not the 'well meaning missionaries, but the bacteria they unknowingly carry on their bodies, being a source of disease, for which the natives are totally medically, and immunologically unprepared for.
So while the intent might be noble, if misguided, the result is usually disaster.

[one might say the missionaries are 'rationallizing' the nature of their form of 'unintentional' genocide]
0 Replies