What do you want from the government?

NMors

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 02:16 pm
Well, things in the world's economy is getting worse each day..
And with that politics are changing as well.
I guess everyone wants things to be fixed in the best way, but to fix things we have to discover what is wrong and then find a solution.
Once society's managers are the government, we have to figure out which needs we have from them.

So.. I would like to know what do you think the government should provide to do a good management of a country?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,563 • Replies: 16
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 03:09 pm
@NMors,
Actually things in the world's economy are getting better each day...
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 03:52 pm
Quote:
What do you want from the government?

A chicken in every pot, and a car in every garage!
0 Replies

NMors

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 04:05 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't think so... we have the currency war, people talks about economic collapse, financial crisis, Debts, ... Huge things are about to happen soon
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 04:48 pm
@NMors,
Where were you five years ago?
RABEL222

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 08:50 pm
@maxdancona,
In grade school?
0 Replies

NMors

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:02 am
@maxdancona,
Where are you now?
That doest know about the currencies crashing (Euro never been so low), unemployment is rising, countries are crashing with debts that they will never be able to pay, inflation is taking our control and power over money, petrodollar, Russian's economy, etc??????
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:12 am
We've got more of everything than we've ever had before (excepting maybe space)...and we've got better means to produce even more.

The major problem is that the "more" is just not distributed in any reasonable way.

EVERY human being on this planet should have enough for a decent living...plenty of food, shelter, clothing, health care, education, transportation, and communication.

Frankly, with our current ability to produce...EVERY human being on the planet should also have enough of the comfort accouterments also; a television and sound system in every living room...comfortable furniture...a computer and printer...and stuff like that.

I want government to figure out a way to distribute the ENORMOUS wealth of the planet in a way that insures everyone has enough to live a reasonably comfortable life.

I am not saying all should have equal...not by any means. The "doers" should have much more than the "non-doers." But everyone should have enough.

That is what I want from government.
NMors

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
I agree with you and that is what I want too!
But before we find a alternative politics, people need to have their needs defined. we should all to be aware of our essencial needs.
Thats why I asked that question.

But thanks for your reply, is good to know that we are not alone and not everyone thinks individually, but as a group.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 03:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
How do you identify the doers from the nondoers. If you ask the Koch brothers the doers are only people who are billionares because in their world only money counts. In my opinion they and people like them are the least important. Hell, in my opinion my family doctor is more important than those losers.
NMors

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 12:10 pm
@RABEL222,
I guess the reason that you feel that your family is more important, is because they are contributing for the good of the society (more than them). And in the end that's what makes life meaningful.

But the fact that some people are capable to afford to build unlimited wealth, allows them to take wealth from society, sometimes without even noticing.
And, if you see that life is getting harder and harder to live (people are losing their access to quality basic services and goods because they are getting poorer) wouldn't you want to assure that your family will always get enough to have a comfortable and secure life? So if you know that you have the power in your hands, wouldn't you protect yours?

That's why we need a government that gives the real society, those ones who contributes, all the access to what they NEED to live with freedom, security to have access to a home, food, water, energy, ...
So a government that takes the power from money and give the power to people's contribution.

RABEL222

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 01:02 pm
@NMors,
Rather than preach let me put my feelings in more basic language. I want our governments to govern for ALL the people rather than the 1%. They have enough to take care of themselves. Many on this site squal about having a right to the money they earn but if one checks they find that most have inherited their great wealth not earned it. I am tired of bailing out people who are in financial trouble because of their stupidity. What have the banks we bailed out done for us? Why they have given the people who caused the financial problems hundreds of million of dollars in compensation for jobs well done. Sorry, I said I wasent going to preach but, this is a subject that just burns my ass.
NMors

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 03:32 pm
@RABEL222,
I understand because I feel the same.
There's so much poverty with no need. And the people that proclaim to have power don't do much about it.
Money is not the problem. Money is only a connection between our individual contribution to society and the services and goods that we need to survive. As long as Earth has place for everyone to contribute on the best way they can, there will be production of what everyone in this planet need and even more.
The only reason for that not to happen is because powerful people made money needed like food and water, and they also made money a business where they can control production and it's price (you can buy and sell currencies-money- and actually make profit of it), when it shouldn't happen - money shouldn't have a price once money is the price.
Making money a market we are only disadvantaging the ones who has no conditions for buying it (me, you and basically everyone else that we contact daily).
And even if you do your part, contributing to society, most of times you still don't get enough to supply your basic needs.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

EVERY human being on this planet should have enough for a decent living...plenty of food, shelter, clothing, health care, education, transportation, and communication.

As a former homeless person (4 months on the street) I can address the question of how much food and shelter people need at a minimum, if they are to become "do-ers" again.

I was quite happy with the meals my soup kitchen provided, but I think in general one of the things we as a society should insist on is guaranteeing that soup kitchen guests all have enough time and space to eat, not just that there be enough food. At times, it was difficult to find a place to sit down, even though food itself was always plentiful. And I was homeless in very a generous city.

On the subject of housing, I don't think we all require an apartment. Dormitories would be a decent start. For the most part, I was content at the shelter when I had to sleep on the floor, 18-to-a-room. However, one immediate way to improve the shelter we offer people would be to have somewhere they could store their belongings while they slept. Asking people to leave their backpacks at the ends of their mats is a bad idea, because it invites theft. I was lucky enough to have some income, which I used on a $90-a-month storage locker.

I think programs offering temporary help to the homeless should be federally-funded, and available everywhere, to prevent states from trying to solve their own homeless problem by driving their own homeless into other states through policies of extreme brutality.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:27 am
@NMors,
I can't really say what I want from government. The ups and downs of the economic situation has happen before and will probably recur time and time again.

The technology will, like always , have a say -influenced by lobbies I guess and the type of technology invented.

Industry clams that it is too costly here in American to manufacture items and thus cheap labor is used and mostly that labor is done over seas.

If there are social programs and a distribution of wealth I think a different mind set would be needed as a whole or by a greater majority.

But I guess I am the last person to ask since I am apolitical.

Since this is a democracy I wonder how much compromise is involved that short changes the objective of housing and feeding the masses and therefore by one way or the other making the end worth the effort? How much really gets done?

Perhaps if there was some way of the three different Branches would stop arguing among themselves and put their egos to the side the task at hand may come a bit easier.

I guess the strength of a Democracy is also its' bane.
argome321

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 04:12 pm
@argome321,
Government cheese.

0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:58 am
@NMors,
A resolution dissolving it would be nice. Should start over every hundred years or so. Smile
0 Replies