How do you keep your banana from going soft so fast?

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 06:06 pm
sounds like Joe is starting to write like Dr Seuss.

I dont keep them on a fridge
I wont keep them on a brige

Ill keep my banans in a bag
And mark them with a tag

Others with ethylene Ill store
still others'l be on the floor

when ripe Ill eat them without reservation
cuz im the one and only................
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 06:25 pm
Au, this may solve the banana puzzle but my ex-girlfriend would find living in a frige uncomfortable.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:38 pm
Tomatoes give off ethelyne gas which can ripen bananas prematurely.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:35 pm
Put your bananas in the refrig. When the skin gets 'tough,' it takes the banana longer for it to turn into mush. The 'cool' environment helps too! Give it a try. Don't worry about the skin turning a little brown. The inside will stay fresh and firm.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 06:14 am
Nick
Consider how much fun it would be to warm her up.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 01:48 am
Nanner update:

Apparently, though I must say it wasn't very apparent to me, but that element is what brought me to ask the question in the first place, apparently, I am a dolt. No, not an adult, a dolt. A rockhead, not in the sense of bipolar bear, more like my father's friend, Cementhead, who was a very nice person, as am I, I have been told, just stupid.

Dim.
Dull-witted.

Apparently, the art of the banana is also the zen of existence - pay attention to what is real- ignore the rest.

Buying really green bananas and WATCHING them solved the problem. They ripen nicely in about three days and must be eaten by the fifth day or turn to the mush I described above. What I must have been doing, because my day is filled with so many important details of ..... something or other, was buying them already ripened and then ignoring them until they were oozing off the counter and then complaining about it.

So, problem solved.

Now, let's tackle the Middle East...............

Joe
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 07:21 am
Joe, what you can also do is break up the hands (that's what a buncha bananas is called) and buy a few that are green and a few that are yellow. That way, you have ripe bananas for a few days before you go shopping again.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 07:30 am
The Great New York Banana Crisis of 2004 will surely find its way onto the pages of history.

This, thus far, is my favorite A2K thread. It had everything; mystery, intrigue, romance, and just a dash of action.

Thanks, Joe.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 07:31 am
Joe you need to switch to strawberries coz they last soooo long !!! Shocked Yep, if I don't eat my strawberries the SECOND I get home with them, then they go bad - stink up the place real good.

Oh and can we talk about mushrooms? How can I stop mushrooms from getting slimy so quickly? They don't even last two days!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 07:52 am
Heeven -- Don't keep mushrooms in a closed package, or condensed moisture will cause them to get slimy very quickly. Take them out of the original package and put them in an open bowl in the vegetable drawer of your refrigerator. They'll last for about a week. Took us years to figure that one out. Wink

Joe -- I am SO relieved to hear you finally figured out what to do with your banana. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 08:04 am
Mushrooms must be kept in a paper bag.

A plastic bag or an airtight plastic container will cause them to go slimy quite quickly.
Ventilation, and no damp, are the things for mushrooms.
0 Replies

mchol

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:25 pm
Lol.. The best way to keep your banana fresh before it goes to mush is to eat it before it goes to mush! lol
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:56 pm
We buy our bananas most often at Costco for .99c. We may get anywheres from seven to ten bananas for that price. I try to buy the ten. I break the hand into two pieces, wrap both in plastic bags, then throw them in the refrig for a couple of days. I take out the first bag, and eat from that bunch. It doesn't need to be returned to the refrig, because the skin is now hard to protect the inside. We consume about one banana per day, so the seven to ten bananas will last about one week. I like to eat mine with cold cereal. Works pretty well for us.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 03:08 pm
Is there a woman in the house? Wink

http://www.fuoriditesta.biz/immagini/banana.jpg
0 Replies