Does " a string of smooth acts" mean " a string of successful acts"?

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:54 am

Context:
Internet users are having a group revelry suggesting better escape routes for a robber who stole Cartier watches worth 3 million in a string of smooth acts, and was caught while stuck in clogged traffic.

On Monday night at 7 pm, the masked suspect broke into a Cartier department in Wangfujing, one of Beijing's busiest shopping streets. He used a toy gun to bluff and deceive store clerks.

More:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/trending/2015-03/17/content_19832501_2.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 374 • Replies: 1
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 09:09 am
@oristarA,
That text is a little awkward.

No, smooth does not mean "successful". Smooth means "controlled", "proficient", "well planned without incident or drama".

A smooth robber wouldn't go in with a drawn gun and scream at his victims, rather a smooth robber would reach surreptitiously into the safe while the victim was responding to a well-planned distraction.

When I want to talk to that attractive woman at the bar I try to be smooth. I want to saunter over casually and offer her a drink with a low manly voice and say something interesting.

I often use the word "smooth" sarcastically. When I walk over to that attractive woman, trip over my own feet, spill my drink on her and stammer out something foolish... I might walk away in shame and say "Well that was smooth!".
0 Replies