Art in Madrid, article that makes me want to catch a plane

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:56 am
Flowering of Art in Madrid, NYTimes, 6/19/04

Just look at that gold wall with the art, I love it!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,075 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Curious George

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 06:59 pm
It requires subscription to NY Times site to view Sad. I have so many subscriptions I don't remember my username and password to some sites sometimes Smile.

Curious George
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:07 pm
Really, does it?

At some point, especially when I moved, I just subscribed to online NYT.

but wait, that is free....

I also subscribe to the Washington Post on line, and would for other places if they but offered it.

I'd dearly love to subscibe to the LA Times, and have them send me stuff, but they don't do that, at least the sending part.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:43 pm
Curious George wrote:
It requires subscription to NY Times site to view Sad. I have so many subscriptions I don't remember my username and password to some sites sometimes Smile.

Curious George

Subscription don't mean money, in this case, George! I use the same name and password for all these sites - makes it easy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:45 pm
Not to mention Barcelona - where Gaudi alone would be enough - but the art!!!!!!! Oy veh - just had friends come back from there - and a friend teaching English there. What a city!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:49 pm
Gaudi images from Google:

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=Gaudi&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 11:07 pm
Gaudi:

http://hiromi-m-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/page4/gaudi.jpg

http://www.xtec.es/~xripoll/gaudi.jpg

http://www.dourish.com/photos/albums/barcelona/photos/gaudi-casa-mila-roof17.jpg

http://www.unf.edu/classes/freshmancore/coreabroad/pictures/2001Barcelona/Barcelona-Gaudi-
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:45 am
You mean you can't just click on the link I gave and get it? It is in today's times, or maybe tomorrow's... just look at NYT Times.com and look at Travel

dagnabbit, I know their week old stuff costs to check out, but this is new.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:50 am
I am one of the four or five people on earth who has no interest at all in Gaudi, sorry, and I keep hearing that I should be interested. But I am interested in Madrid and its museums.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 02:13 am
The Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza (Prado) offers a good online tour in English, the Prado shows some pics as well, this site gives more information about Madrid's museums as well as this one.

[Osso, from 79 € onwards from my local airport to Madrid :wink: ]
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 02:16 am
There was not much to look at in the Madrid article, osso.

Any visuals from Madrid?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 02:21 am
Well, here is a more touristic virtual tour, if my above links were too art-related, bunny :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 02:52 am
Sorry Walter - just responding to Osso - dinna see your links!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 02:58 am
And they won't work for me - except the really wordy one! : (
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:13 am
The yellow/gold wall in the Madrid article That's in the Museothyssen.

Cason del Buen Ritiro (becoming part of Prado)

The Extension at the Reina Sofia

I looked up some links on the museums too -

The Prado
The Reina Sofia museum
Thyssen Bornemisza museum and Thyssen Museum
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:38 am
Had a wonderful time at the Prado and Reina Sofia. Super saturation!! Madrid is a very beautiful city although I found the Spanish to be somewhat stand-offish. Barcelona is a fantasic city with art everywhere. The food is better than in France and if you stay away from the tourist stores, you'll get a lot for your dollar. Oh and when in Spain, just wear black.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:58 am
Kayla, I have what I think is a cool photo I took of folks at a train station in Italy - all in black except for one woman at the edge of the frame wearing gray, and the black outfits varied from the old fashioned to 'recent style' . Hmm, I might have put it in the travel photo gallery here, I'll have to go look.

Stazione at Empoli I see I edited the edge of the woman in gray out of the picture.

Ah, I'd love to go to Spain...
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:19 am
We spent a week in Madrid four or five years ago. I've never thought of myself as being too interested in art, but the Prado left me awestruck. We only had time for 3/4 of a day there during the trip, but if we ever go back to Madrid, we'll definitely block out at least three days for the Prado.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:35 am
Picasso museum over in Barcelona is spectacular as well. I loved Madrid, way back when. Didn't find folks at all standoffish, though I was usually drinking with them. Great long summer nights in Madrid.

Main memory of the Prado, oddly enough, is going through and trying to find the drunken fool in the corners of all the pastorals...
0 Replies