What good does religion offer the world today?

Olivier5

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 12:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
Heard on TV the other day: "Morality is to be conjugated in the first person. For others, there is the law, and mercy."
Leadfoot

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 07:47 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Heard on TV the other day: "Morality is to be conjugated in the first person. For others, there is the law, and mercy."

Don't know who said it, but it's a line worth repeating.
Leadfoot

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 07:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI, for those incapable of understanding metaphor, the book says it in purely straight forward words - 'The wages of sin is death.'
Which is what you are expecting yourself, so you have no room to bitch about it.

I have no use for your fairy tales of eternal torture. But it always amuses me that those who believe neither in God or the book will tell others all about them.
izzythepush

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 10:28 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

'The wages of sin is death.'

But the hours are good, and the perks are brilliant.
farmerman

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
not to mention free parking.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
What does it mean, "the wages of sin is death?"
CLUE: We all die.

It should be, "the wage of life is death."
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:33 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
'The wages of sin is death.'

But the hours are good, and the perks are brilliant.

The job description is where all the confusion and disagreement lye.
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:48 pm
@Leadfoot,
And lye can be poison.
Leadfoot

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 01:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So can lies. Like all that nonsense about eternal torture.
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 07:00 pm
What is the difference between a dead person in a coffin being waked upon, and a living person who is waking at a dead relative or friend?
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 07:07 pm
@peacecrusader888,
A dead person doesn't come back to life.
0 Replies

Krumple

Thu 9 Feb, 2017 09:04 pm
@peacecrusader888,
peacecrusader888 wrote:

What is the difference between a dead person in a coffin being waked upon, and a living person who is waking at a dead relative or friend?

The dead person doesn't need to carry on with their life.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 07:21 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

Don't know who said it, but it's a line worth repeating.

A philosopher called André Comte-Sponville. He's okay.

His position on Christianity is very similar to mine: basically, it is that western atheism should not throw the baby (Jesus' moral message) with the bath water (the mythology of god, angels, miracles etc.).
Leadfoot

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 07:43 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
"Morality is to be conjugated in the first person. For others, there is the law, and mercy."

Not too far off what J.C. said - 'Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.' The rest was reserved to God of course.
Quote:
the bath water (the mythology of god, angels, miracles etc.).

Way too much baby in that water

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 11:00 am
@Olivier5,
That's the philosophy of Buddhism. Improve yourself.
0 Replies

Krumple

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 02:09 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

His position on Christianity is very similar to mine: basically, it is that western atheism should not throw the baby (Jesus' moral message) with the bath water (the mythology of god, angels, miracles etc.).

The problem here is that the bath water doesn't exist or there is nothing that proves its existence. As far as Jesus goes, he might have been a person who was crucified but divinity is suspect. I don't buy any of it but there are a lot of used car salesmen still trying to sell that lemon.
cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 02:25 pm
@Krumple,
I don't buy the "back to life after death."
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 11 Feb, 2017 03:12 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

The problem here is that the bath water doesn't exist or there is nothing that proves its existence. As far as Jesus goes, he might have been a person who was crucified but divinity is suspect. I don't buy any of it but there are a lot of used car salesmen still trying to sell that lemon.

The bath water is the religious belief. It does exist, as a belief. The baby is the etical message.
Leadfoot

Sat 11 Feb, 2017 04:55 pm
Nobody gets metaphor I tell ya
peacecrusader888

Sat 11 Feb, 2017 06:03 pm
@peacecrusader888,
For the information of everyone, the difference between a dead person and a living person is SPIRIT. The spirit of a dead person has already left his physical body whereas the spirit of a living person is still in his physical body. God gave the spirit to the physical body. Genesis 2:7 states: "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." The spirit is hot, about 37 degrees Celcius.
0 Replies