What good does religion offer the world today?

TheCobbler

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 12:42 pm
@Leadfoot,
Jesus speaks of child suffering can you name the verses?

This is what being fluent in the scriptures means that you can reason wholly from their basis.

Luke 32:28 + 29 But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children. For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck.

Comment:
Blessed are the children that are never born, they are the fortunate ones.

Sound hopeful and comforting you?

Thessalonians 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Sound comforting? What kind of future did Jesus envision for children?
momoends

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 10:26 pm
@AugustineBrother,
inquisición
cruzadas
america colonization......

should i continue? that´s the GIANT SUPERBLACK MEGA POT calling the kettle black

0 Replies

momoends

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 10:27 pm
@TheCobbler,
a BLACK future.....
TheCobbler

Wed 20 Jul, 2016 11:13 pm
@momoends,
Yes that is probably my number 1 gripe with all religion.

Anti-future is anti-children.

My "golden" rule is leave the world a better place than how you found it.

This end of the world and the world is evil stuff is contrary to one who lives and appreciates life, it is a life stealer rather than a life giver.

Armageddon, four ******* horses and apocalypse CRAP!
Leadfoot

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 08:05 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
@momoends,
Yes that is probably my number 1 gripe with all religion.

Anti-future is anti-children.

My "golden" rule is leave the world a better place than how you found it.

This end of the world and the world is evil stuff is contrary to one who lives and appreciates life, it is a life stealer rather than a life giver.

Armageddon, four ******* horses and apocalypse CRAP!

Not that man has not improved his lot over time, he has had dominion over the world and made life better for himself in a hundred different ways. But I think the world is more spiritually poor than ever. If it were not for Jesus, the seed might have died out completely.

But it sounds like you have placed all your hopes in this world. Why?
izzythepush

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 08:26 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
But I think the world is more spiritually poor than ever.

Right wing religious types often spout this nonsense, mostly because they're afraid of modernity. We don't have slavery, homosexuality is no longer illegal, people are more aware of climate change, more deadly diseases are being defeated, and war criminals are being prosecuted in the Hague. There's still a long way to go but things are better than they were.

Yet you lot lament the lack of spirituality. The spiritual values that allowed you to go to Vietnam and do God knows what are values that the World is better off without.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
Because I am not afraid to love the people of the world in spite of the hate from the Bible that is clearly directed towards "this world".

This world I can see, it is a tangible wonder from whatever bleeping powers that be. The next world is nothing but a pie in the sky used by religions to steal the joy of this life itself.

Religions claim to be pro-life while they pedal their hypocrisy, doom and desolations.

Religion is anti-world, anti-life, anti-future and thus, anti-children (who are our future).
cicerone imposter

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:35 pm
@TheCobbler,
And don't forget, "full of bigotry."

http://www.faithinamerica.org/bigotry/
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:37 pm
@Leadfoot,
We would be much more enlightened stoning people at the town square? Would that make us "spiritually rich" again? (cynical)
cicerone imposter

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:46 pm
@TheCobbler,
One of many reasons why I didn't believe in the christian religion as a young teenager. All my siblings are christians, and so are their children. My children are atheists, and my wife is buddhist.
TheCobbler

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I bet they are happier and wiser without all the religious bull. Smile
cicerone imposter

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:00 pm
@TheCobbler,
At least they are not prisoners to a manmade religion.
TheCobbler

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You did good in giving them a life free of the scourges of these religions. Smile
cicerone imposter

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:07 pm
@TheCobbler,
I don't know if it's related, by my older son graduated summa cum laude, and our younger son cum laude. Our older son got his graduate degree from the University of Texas in Austin with honors. He now works for the university. He seems happy although he doesn't earn much. That's what I wanted for him.
TheCobbler

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You should be very proud and I am sure they are very proud of you!
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:55 pm
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13615420_951365334991122_3088355761568216998_n.jpg?oh=7f280ad305fcd4a9ba329dbdd33a6b5f&oe=57E8ADDE

Also like the founding fathers were deists not Christians. (side note)

When Muslims accuse the founding fathers of being Christians because they used the word "God". God is the English word for Allah.

(Whether (sp) meme needs some repair.) Smile
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 02:13 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Because I am not afraid to love the people of the world in spite of the hate from the Bible that is clearly directed towards "this world".

I don't see any 'hate' directed at the world and certainly not at its people.
What do you think the verse means when it says 'For God so loved the world...'?
It does urgently ask, as you correctly point out, not to see your life tied to this world. As good as life can be here, it points you to something better.

As Jesus said, 'I come that you might have life, and have it more abundantly'. That is a long way from your doom and gloom scenario.

While I love my children and want the best for them, they are not my future. They are free to pick the future they want and are not chained to mine. And neither are your kids your future. Be more realistic (and kinder to your kids) about that.
TheCobbler

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 02:29 pm
@Leadfoot,
Kids are not free until they are adults... They must be under the supervision of a guardian.

Shall I paste some of the scriptures for you?

John 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

John 15;9
If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Comment: Au contraire, it is the bible freak that hates the world and the people in it. THEY HATE LIFE.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world...

Acts 26:17 delivering you out from the people and from the Gentiles to whom I am sending you,

Comment:
Separating believers from their kin and fellow citizens turning them into religious freaks and sending them back to the world as crazy hypocrites and haters.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/06/29/westboro.jpg
Leadfoot

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 02:45 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Comment: Au contraire, it is the bible freak that hates the world and the people in it. THEY HATE LIFE.

Why focus on the freaks? Yes, they do hate life and those aberrations have nothing to offer. They are not worth focusing so much of your energy on them. They are decoys and not the enemy.

But again, if the bible contains the truth and there is an eternal life after this one that is free of the haters and destroyers of life, isn't it the duty of the book to get you to look beyond this world?
TheCobbler

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 04:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
Time and again I find even the moderate religious people to be hateful.

0 Replies