What good does religion offer the world today?

neologist

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 11:07 pm
@TheCobbler,
I always have believed the fetus should make that choice as soon as he or she is able to make a mature decision.

But that's just my quirky personality.
Chumly

Sun 22 Mar, 2015 12:42 am
@neologist,
I'll ignore your superstitious belief systems (as much as I can within the context given) and reiterate your dubious rhetoric (and my merited text) for your elucidation (and then I have to wash the dog as she is kinda smelly):

You said "Are we to suppose any other authority to be superior?"
I said "Sounds rather deterministic for a religionist preaching the necessity of free will."

To edify: your presumably omnipotent/omniscient special friend would be incapable of fee will, add this to your red herring of positing a supernatural authority in the first place, add this to the lack of any requirement (outside of your unnecessarily involved and incomprehensible superstitions) for there to be free will, and you have an impossible row to hoe, except of course through the promotion of ignorance, prejudice, superstition, theocracies, suspension of critical thinking, anti-science, war, massive amounts of wasted resources, political corruption, sexual inequality, TV and radio evangelism, multi-million dollar politically driven religious lobbying, etc.
maxdancona

Sun 22 Mar, 2015 07:40 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Races only object to slaves if the slaves and citizens have a social voice

I don't think races object to slaves. Can you name me a race that has?

0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 22 Mar, 2015 07:50 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Men need to augment life in friendly relations.

That is exactly what I am trying to do ... augment life in friendly relations (although it would be nice to have more of the friendly relations if you know what I mean).
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 22 Mar, 2015 09:30 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
I'll ignore your superstitious belief systems (as much as I can within the context given) and reiterate your dubious rhetoric (and my merited text) for your elucidation (and then I have to wash the dog as she is kinda smelly):

You said "Are we to suppose any other authority to be superior?"
I said "Sounds rather deterministic for a religionist preaching the necessity of free will."

To edify: your presumably omnipotent/omniscient special friend would be incapable of fee will, add this to your red herring of positing a supernatural authority in the first place, add this to the lack of any requirement (outside of your unnecessarily involved and incomprehensible superstitions) for there to be free will, and you have an impossible row to hoe, except of course through the promotion of ignorance, prejudice, superstition, theocracies, suspension of critical thinking, anti-science, war, massive amounts of wasted resources, political corruption, sexual inequality, TV and radio evangelism, multi-million dollar politically driven religious lobbying, etc.
This is, indeed, ad nauseum. In response to your reasonable indictment of religion, I merely added additional authorities or belief systems. For some reason you have sought to challenge my belief system, not with specifics, but with word salad.

Wash your dog. We can smell her from here.
Chumly

Sun 22 Mar, 2015 10:59 am
@neologist,
Outside of a few feebly interposed fallacies such as the red herring (as you attempted prior), argumentum ad nauseam (as you attempted prior) and appeal to improper authority (as you attempted prior re: your goofy bible) you're pretty much a one trick peony (flower not horse) relying on the fallacy appeal to ignorance in order to oh-so-weakly try and shift the burden of proof, which of course fully lies with you and your superstitious Judeo-Christian mumbo-jumbo.

BTW your claim of me committing the sin of the argumentum ad nauseam fallacy is utter claptrap because a partial repetition in the context of further clarification and support of specified argumentation is well within means.

Have a wonderful afternoon (and there is no sense in praying for me - or my dog - but if it makes you feel better, have-at-it)!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 22 Mar, 2015 11:40 am
@Chumly,
As he's explained it on other threads, neo's god isn't omniscient.
neologist

Sun 22 Mar, 2015 01:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
Not to mention that ills such as political corruption, wasted resources, war, and all the other refuse in his trash heap (straw men, BTW) do not exist only because of religion. They are brought about by human action.

And his idea that I am anti science or that the Bible is somehow anti science is gratuitous on its face. The Bible was never intended as a scientific treatise.

TheCobbler

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 08:35 am
@neologist,
Let me know when you are able to relay that concept to a fetus...

If they are male maybe they will also tell you if they prefer to be circumcised or not... Smile
maxdancona

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 08:56 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
they are male maybe they will also tell you if they prefer to be circumcised or not... Smile

What about females?
0 Replies

FBM

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:10 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

As he's explained it on other threads, neo's god isn't omniscient.

Then why hasn't it been voted off the island? There are omniscient gods available for the job. I'm thinking that if I were looking for a god, omniscience would be among the top qualifications. Right up there with omnipotence and omnipresence. Well, a little concern for and forebearance towards humanity and all its travails would be nice, too, but I'd take what I could get.
neologist

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:16 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Let me know when you are able to relay that concept to a fetus...
Would it be too much for the fetus to ask you to wait until he or she is old enough?
Gads!!!
You pro abortion people are so darned impatient!
TheCobbler

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:23 am
@neologist,
Would it be too much to just ask the mother if she wants to bear the child of a rapist or of her own father?

She is already alive and grown... Does her life and her decisions not count?

Or is it only the rapist's/incest fetus whose opinion counts?

Consider the Bible talks about "good seed" and quality fruit.

Is the fetus of a rapist, "good seed" and quality fruit?
neologist

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:25 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
There are omniscient gods available for the job. I'm thinking that if I were looking for a god, omniscience would be among the top qualifications. Right up there with omnipotence and omnipresence. Well, a little concern for and forebearance towards humanity and all its travails would be nice, too, but I'd take what I could get.
Our definition of omniscience goes beyond the concept of all knowing and implies necessity. In other words, predestination, our eventualities already written. I'd prefer to not be a puppet.

Note sig line.
FBM

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:27 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
There are omniscient gods available for the job. I'm thinking that if I were looking for a god, omniscience would be among the top qualifications. Right up there with omnipotence and omnipresence. Well, a little concern for and forebearance towards humanity and all its travails would be nice, too, but I'd take what I could get.
Our definition of omniscience goes beyond the concept of all knowing and implies necessity. In other words, predestination, our eventualities already written. I'd prefer to not be a puppet.

Note sig line.

Firstly, that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Secondly, if predestination is the thing, then in what way are we anything but puppets? Seems like the definition of puppetry.
TheCobbler

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:30 am
@neologist,
Yet you don't mind being a puppet to barbaric biblical standards so much so that you trumpet the Bible's standards as if they are worthy of such proselytization.

Without love one becomes a blaring sounding brass and crashing cymbals...
neologist

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:38 am
@TheCobbler,
You started with the unconditional support of abortion.
Are you now limiting only to cases of rape and incest?

What about those who abort because fetus is the wrong gender?

I don't advocate any legal restrictions, BTW. I just am apalled by the euphamism 'pro choice' when a human life is in the headlights.

I mean. If you're not pro life, what does that make you? Really?
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:40 am
@FBM,
Noted.
Still deserved an answer.
Many are confused about the implications. That's why some believe in reprobation.
FBM

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:44 am
@neologist,
I got reprobation once for having weed and a firearm in a national park. I was lucky.
neologist

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:48 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Yet you don't mind being a puppet to barbaric biblical standards so much so that you trumpet the Bible's standards as if they are worthy of such proselytization.

Without love one becomes a blaring sounding brass and crashing cymbals...
Laughing

You have no problem using a Biblical reference to make your point. But when you are unable to find any scriptural support for your lifestyle, then you must turn against it.

Understood.

Even though support may be found for those who search.
0 Replies