What good does religion offer the world today?

hawkeye10

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 05:01 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
How about living life for life sake?
What does that mean? Live so that your heart and lungs can take one more contraction ? I am not thinking that is going to motivate me very far.

You anti religion people who need to stand on street corners telling the rest of us how ridiculous our religious beliefs are are so obnoxious. Out of the thousands of things you could be doing THIS makes the top of the list? If you are that fucked in the head I am not going to strain too far to hear your views on various matters.
argome321

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 05:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What does that mean? Live so that your heart and lungs can take one more contraction ? I am not thinking that is going to motivate me very far.

Well, that's for you to decide, it's your life...do with it what you will.
0 Replies

argome321

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 05:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
You anti religion people who need to stand on street corners telling the rest of us how ridiculous our religious beliefs are are so obnoxious. Out of the thousands of things you could be doing THIS makes the top of the list?

If you are that fucked in the head I am not going to strain too far to hear your views on various matters.

And this coming from a religious person. You've got some serious problems and obviously religion hasn't helped you.
0 Replies

argome321

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 05:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If you are that fucked in the head I am not going to strain too far to hear your views on various matters.

This is a quote from Hawkeye 10

Is this Christianity?
hawkeye10

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 05:28 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
Is this Christianity?

I am Zen.
argome321

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 05:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Then Zen is just as stupid and doesn't serve anyone just as well.

And that doesn't alter the fact that you still have serious problems
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:26 am
What good does religion offer the world today?

If by "good" you mean the promotion of ignorance, prejudice, superstition, theocracies, suspension of critical thinking, anti-science, war, massive amounts of wasted resources, political corruption, sexual inequality, TV and radio evangelism, multi-million dollar politically driven religious lobbying, etc.
neologist

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 11:09 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
. . . If by "good" you mean the promotion of ignorance, prejudice, superstition, theocracies, suspension of critical thinking, anti-science, war, massive amounts of wasted resources, political corruption, sexual inequality, TV and radio evangelism, multi-million dollar politically driven religious lobbying, etc.
Are we to suppose any other authority to be superior?
Chumly

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 01:29 pm
@neologist,
Sounds rather deterministic for a religionist preaching the necessity of free will.
neologist

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 02:36 pm
@Chumly,
There are many isms as powerful as religion. They are convenient vehicles for man to exploit man.
maxdancona

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 03:15 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
If by "good" you mean the promotion of ignorance, prejudice, superstition, theocracies, suspension of critical thinking, anti-science, war, massive amounts of wasted resources, political corruption, sexual inequality, TV and radio evangelism, multi-million dollar politically driven religious lobbying, etc.

The fact that you include "prejudice" in this list is rather amusing.
Chumly

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 04:38 pm
@neologist,
Red Herring fallacy.
Chumly

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 04:39 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Quote:

The fact that you include "prejudice" in this list is rather amusing.
Why?
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 04:53 pm
@Chumly,
You did it first.
Free will is not a universal teaching of nominal christianity.
And it has no bearing on my assertion that many have closely held issues as strong as religion. Surely you could name many.
Chumly

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 08:02 pm
@neologist,
1) What (presumably) did I do first and what relevance does this claim have to the particulars at hand?

2) When you say "Free will is not a universal teaching of nominal Christianity" you must firstly define what you mean by "nominal Christianity" and secondly provide your rationale as to it's relevance to the particulars at hand, else your claim is nothing more than a non sequitur fallacy.

3) As to your claim "Surely you could name many." you have yet to provide any merited response to the fact that your initial comment was a red herring fallacy and now becomes the argumentum ad nauseam fallacy superimposed on your red herring fallacy.
neologist

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 08:24 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
1) What (presumably) did I do first and what relevance does this claim have to the particulars at hand?
You brought up the subject of free will, a red herring when it comes to the plethora of isms to which folks devote themselves.
Chumly wrote:
2) When you say "Free will is not a universal teaching of nominal Christianity" you must firstly define what you mean by "nominal Christianity" and secondly provide your rationale as to it's relevance to the particulars at hand, else your claim is nothing more than a non sequitur fallacy.
You've never heard of predestination (Calvin) or reprobation (Augustine)? Yaah! Sure you have....
OK. I know you've avoided churches and I can't blame you. But Google either of those terms to see what you've been missing
Chumly wrote:
3) As to your claim "Surely you could name many." you have yet to provide any merited response to the fact that your initial comment was a red herring fallacy and now becomes the argumentum ad nauseam fallacy superimposed on your red herring fallacy.
Patriotism, Football . . . . . .

Argumentum ad nauseam? I was thinking of applying the same label to your asseverations.
TheCobbler

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:47 pm
Races only object to slaves if the slaves and citizens have a social voice... Collective conscience.

Religion is no guarantee for an end to slavery.

So is religion the answer to social civilization?

If religion has lower standards than civilization then religion is inferior.
Chumly

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:51 pm
@neologist,
Are you a card carrying member of the UCA (Universal Christian Apologists) thus trying to give your ridiculous beliefs the attention they do not deserve? In any case recall you are on record here @ A2K as a religionist preaching the necessity of free will; my assertion as per Post: # 5,914,397 stands intact and your following responses equal a modest collection of logical fallacies.
neologist

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 10:23 pm
@Chumly,
I believe we have free will.
I believe the Bible presents strong support
I have seen clearly that many christians do not share that belief, in spite of the fact that our entire legal system presupposes free will as an axiom.
So what?
I don't see where my assertion a few posts back is a particular challenge to your excoriation of religious excesses. I merely intended to point out the number of non religious authorities having similar traits. In short, the excesses of religion are more the fault of man than of belief.

I find your smarter than thou attitude rather amusing, actually. I also am a member of Mensa.
TheCobbler

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 10:47 pm
I will always believe in abortion. Woman have a right to decide. It is their bodies... Men should not dictate life. Men need to augment life in friendly relations.