What good does religion offer the world today?

TheCobbler

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 12:04 am
@Leadfoot,
Just, hahaha! Smile
0 Replies

Amoh5

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 01:08 am
@Leadfoot,
I think you're conversing with the animal rights association, I think they want you to repent according to their accusations of being associated with animal cruelty. I think you're innocent though. Human beings are more important than other species in my book anyway. I won't go and give a lion a brotherly hug because it'll just want to bite my head off...
TheCobbler

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 01:25 am
My complexity is a given I am your priest.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 02:37 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
I think you're conversing with the animal rights association, I think they want you to repent according to their accusations of being associated with animal cruelty
That would explain it. Farmerman tells me I look for complexity where there is none. I think this is a case where he might be right.

The Joke's on me!
Amoh5

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 04:08 am
@Leadfoot,
I think Glenn was saying if you agree with the existence of a god then you approve of animal cruelty. However, I didn't think you did. As for me I don't like unnecessary cruelty to animals if its not for self-defence. But I would agree with animal cruelty if it is necessary as in self-defence, for me and my loved ones. I think sometimes one has to be cruel in times of defence. Cruelty in the process when using animals as food is another can of worms I think, but I was taught to kill an animal as quickly as possible when using them for food. I guess it was to eliminate any unnecessary suffering. The only sense as a Christian that I can make from people way back in the past sacrificing animals in that way is to prove their dominance(in their percieved spirit of God that is) and threat towards all other species, like the "I am" mentality. Or "I am" the most important life form in this universe, I will flourish. I'm not sure though just guessing
Glennn

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 08:35 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
As for me I don't like unnecessary cruelty to animals if its not for self-defence.

If only you could understand what you're saying. You're advocating the primitive idea of animal sacrifice for the purpose of self defense. The part that you are apparently blind to is that the god was what the primitive humans were defending themselves against. And you continue this tradition of fearing the god to the extent that you would support the idea that it is good to sacrifice something not at all connected to your alleged guilt to keep the god's wrath from touching you. It's called cowardice.

Quote:
I think Glenn was saying if you agree with the existence of a god then you approve of animal cruelty.

No. What Glennn is saying is that if you believe that the god required animal sacrifice, then you are willing to place the god into the same category as practitioners of voodoo. You are also willing to place the non-guilty between you and your angry god. Again, this is called cowardice.
Glennn

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 08:49 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Farmerman tells me I look for complexity where there is none.

You are right about that. There is nothing complex concerning your acceptance of a god that required an offering of blood as a token of one's submission to the idea that they are a creature who is guilty of crimes against deity. You're simply still in the fear mode of spiritual development. And still you claim you have not deified a book. What else could cause you to believe that love involves such degrading activity.
Leadfoot

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 09:30 am
@Glennn,
The puzzle is solved. Thanks for playing.
Glennn

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 09:42 am
@Leadfoot,
There was never a puzzle. Your position, and the reason for it, was never a mystery to people outside your cage.
0 Replies

Glennn

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 10:16 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
The only sense as a Christian that I can make from people way back in the past sacrificing animals in that way is to prove their dominance and threat towards all other species. . .

No, you need to get with Leadfoot. He can explain to you that man's sacrificing of animals was an expression of love and appreciation for the god, and that the god loved it. Isn't that beautiful?
cicerone imposter

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 11:42 am
@Glennn,
If animal sacrifice was loved by god in the past, he must surely believe the same thing today. Why aren't we seeing more animal sacrifices?
Glennn

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 12:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, actually, there's a little thing called kaparot. See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxFIt4QSB6U&ebc=ANyPxKquH-pTEs3jZ5A7WdRYCfyq84mvJbLAnKwY1MaAUnzOl6fHPWjaVFT0_Zn9tqL092ZnlepfzQTRVqdAmavTXxAIqcbZ3g

Apparently, according to others in this thread, if we're willing to just step outside our own experience, we'll be able to almost smell the spirituality of such things, and bask in the intoxicating effect of pure dominance. Isn't it beautiful?
0 Replies

Amoh5

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 09:24 pm
@Glennn,
As a Christian, I don't advocate cruelty to any other specie, unless it's necessary like for defence purposes. I am a believer in conserving the environment for ourselves and our future generations. I hate all the pollution and cutting down of rain forests because it will have devastating affects. My perception of God is very different to the Abraham perception. For me "God is spirit," which is the "spirit of family" which belongs to all species. Lord Jesus for me is the "Human family spirit" of God. But there is a competition or battle for survival between most species. Its not a fairy-tale where all species are holding hands singing peace songs, its a battle for survival. There's even microscopic lifeforms like viruses and germs that want to attack us. So my guessing on the Abraham animal sacrifices in the context of God was merely a psychological analysis. Maybe it was just an analogical way of affirming who is more important in this universe, me or other species? Which is sort of like the "I am" I will flourish mentality...
Glennn

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 09:57 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
But there is a competition or battle for survival between most species. Its not a fairy-tale where all species are holding hands singing songs, its a battle.

There is a natural order among the inhabitants of this planet. You see conflict where there is only balance in process. You see a battle for survival where there is only interactions between species. Your interpretation of animal relationships is flawed because you judge from a place of emotion. You carry a measuring stick for the purpose of figuring out a pecking order. You believe that you are top dog.
Quote:
So my guessing on the Abraham animal sacrifices in the context of God was merely a psychological analysis. Maybe it was just an analogical way of affirming who is more important in this universe, me or other species?

You believe that the primitive, god-fearing humans of the past sacrificed animals for the purpose of showing the universe who is more important and who's boss? The animals were sacrificed because fear drove cowards to a place where they would willingly defend themselves against the wrath of their imagined god by offering the death of an animal that had nothing to do with the crimes of the guilty.

You affirm that man pollutes the planet and cuts down rain forests. And yet you think you're more important than other species? That's interesting reasoning on your part, but for all the wrong reasons.
Amoh5

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 10:23 pm
@Glennn,
Maybe you don't have children of your own? Or you feel other species are more important than your children?
Glennn

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 10:27 pm
@Amoh5,
Have your children been threatened by animals lately? What is your point?
Amoh5

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 10:31 pm
@Glennn,
They do at times, even by the microscopic ones. But all I was saying is my analysis of Abraham animal sacrifices is only a hunch or guess. But it seems logical in some ways...
Glennn

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 10:33 pm
@Amoh5,
And what does that have to do with your belief that the primitive, god-fearing humans of the past sacrificed animals for the purpose of showing the universe who is more important and who's boss, anyway? I corrected your misunderstanding concerning that issue by telling you that the animals were sacrificed because fear drove cowards to a place where they would willingly defend themselves against the wrath of their imagined god by offering the death and blood of an animal that had nothing to do with the crimes of the man.
Amoh5

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 10:36 pm
@Glennn,
Maybe it was some kind of allegiance ritual to their perception of God?
Glennn

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 10:39 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
They do at times, even by the microscopic ones. But all I was saying is my analysis of Abraham animal sacrifices is only a hunch or guess. But it seems logical in some ways...

So, at times, your children are threatened by animals. Care to tell us about some of those close calls?

Your hunch or guess concerning Old Testament sacrifice is contrary to what the Bible says. So, what's up with that?
0 Replies