What good does religion offer the world today?

neologist

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 03:52 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
. . . what is the punishment for the god's negligence in this case?
Could it be having to endure this conversation?

You have absolutely no understanding of free will.
It is incompatible with the complete omniscience you assume
And it is no guarantee of license.

You might make a good defense attorney, though. You seem capable of assigning blame to any but the guilty.
hawkeye10

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 03:56 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Glennn wrote:
. . . what is the punishment for the god's negligence in this case?

You have absolutely no understanding of free will.
It is incompatible with the complete omniscience you assume
And it is no guarantee of license.

You might make a good defense attorney, though. You seem capable of assigning blame to any but the guilty.

A great put down without gratuitous personal attack:

+1
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 04:01 pm
@InfraBlue,
neologist wrote:
I am merely asking if you believe God had other options more acceptable to you, particularly the option of destroying Satan for his rebellion.
You wrote:
What is acceptable to me is irrelevant to the text at hand.
Well, fry my fritters, Blue!
This sure looks like an indictment of God's "complicity"
InfraBlue wrote:
. . . God gave Satan carte blanche to do to Job/humankind what Satan wills, except for murder.
Glennn

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 04:15 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

Is that your way of getting out of having to answer the questions put to you?

I'll try to get you back on track. What is the penalty for using free will in a way that is not in accordance with the will of the god? You seem to be doing your best to avoid responding to this question. You have, however, had a reaction to it.

How is the god not responsible for the serpent in the garden where his children live? Further, how is the god not responsible for doing something about it once the discovery was made?

And what is the punishment for the god's negligence in this case? Or has it absolved itself of all responsibility for what followed its actions--or in this case, its inaction?

Now, if you have no intentions of answering these question, just say so.
InfraBlue

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 04:41 pm
@neologist,
If you're having trouble with my paraphrasing, this is how the text reads in the NIV:
Quote:
The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, he is in your hands; but you must spare his life."

I don't see how God isn't complicit, seeing as how he put Job--and by your interpretation, humankind--in Satan's hands.
Glennn

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 04:48 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I don't see how God isn't complicit, seeing as how he put Job--and by your interpretation, humankind--in Satan's hands.

Indeed! Or, at the very least, the god is guilty of succumbing to the temptations of Satan at Job's expense. What I gather from the story is that Satan convinced the god that he had something to prove.
neologist

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 04:48 pm
@Glennn,
I wrote:
You wrote:
Is that your way of getting out of having to answer the questions put to you?
Actually, it was to avoid accusing you of sophistry
Quote:
I'll try to get you back on track. What is the penalty for using free will in a way that is not in accordance with the will of the god? You seem to be doing your best to avoid responding to this question. You have, however, had a reaction to it.
Once again, you confuse free will with license. Perfect humans with perfect consciences could not sin because God's standards had been created in their figurative hearts (think superegos). You should team with Frank here, as he doesn't understand it, either. The choice offered to them by Satan, and about which they had been warned, was to make moral decisions on their own, independent of God's sovereignty. Then, after having so rebelled, they lost their relationship with God and could no longer pass this to their offspring. Notably, God promised a remedy for this estrangement in ch 3, vs 15.
Quote:
How is the god not responsible for the serpent in the garden where his children live? Further, how is the god not responsible for doing something about it once the discovery was made?
Since free will cannot exist with foreknowledge, God would not have known of the rebellion until it took place. Once it did happen, however, there were several questions that came to the fore, not the least of which was would humans indeed be better off making moral decisions on their own? God's power was not in question, so executing the rebels would have proved nothing save eliminating the chance for you and I to be born.
Quote:
And what is the punishment for the god's negligence in this case? Or has it absolved itself of all responsibility for what followed its actions--or in this case, its inaction?
You have failed to prosecute your case to establish negligence.
Frank Apisa

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 04:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Once again, you confuse free will with license. Perfect humans with perfect consciences could not sin because God's standards had been created in their figurative hearts (think superegos). You should team with Frank here, as he doesn't understand it, either. The choice offered to them by Satan, and about which they had been warned, was to make moral decisions on their own, independent of God's sovereignty.

It is sad to see someone as fearful of his god as you are, Neo.

It must be terrifying for you...although no doubt you will claim no fear at all...just love.

When Saddam Hussein was in power...you saw a lot of that coming from the Iraqis.

In the myth, the god denies the couple knowledge of what is right and wrong...denies them knowledge of what is evil...and what is good.

And then when they do what the god considers evil (disobedience) the god punishes them and all the rest of humankind.

The god is a joke, Neo. The god cannot hurt you. Give up the fear...and take a look at how illogical the matter is that are trying, unsuccessfully, to defend.

When the light finally goes on...you will be stunned.
neologist

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 05:02 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Think into the future - 5000 years if you wish. I think less.
If the bible is correct.
If the account of Job is correct
If the account of Genesis, if the prophecy of Revelation, is correct.

Job will be here. Job's family will be here. They will have perfect health and satisfying activity.

All those who have lived and died without knowing of God will be here, as will all who were faithful.

Satan will be no more.

If the bible is correct.

You may think it is all BS.

I think it is at least worth a look.
Glennn

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 05:09 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Actually, it was to avoid accusing you of sophistry

No, it was to avoid answering the questions. For example, I'm still waiting to hear your answer to the question of what the penalty is for not doing what is in accordance with the will of the god. So, try to narrow your response to that question if you would please. Also, I have license to act according my free will.
Quote:
Since free will cannot exist with foreknowledge, God would not have known of the rebellion until it took place.

Therefore, the god also knew that free will could lead to his human creations choosing in accordance with their own will. Again, I have to ask you what the penalty is for doing what the god knew was a possibility.
Quote:
You have failed to prosecute your case to establish negligence.

No, I have not failed. You have a choice as to who to blame for a mess. You can blame the creation, or you can blame the creator of the creation. It's a no-brainer.
Glennn

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 05:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Believe it or not, believers will claim to love what they fear, and to fear what they love.
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 05:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

It must be terrifying for you. . .
If both of us are wrong, Frank, we will live a few more years (a lot, I hope) then croak. I can't imagine either of us looking forward to that day. But we can neither predict nor change, eh? In the meantime, I have a fine hope, I can drink beer. I can travel, play pinochle, and love my wife.

Terrifying? No more than you, Frank. Likely less.
neologist

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 05:23 pm
@Glennn,
Of course, God knew that free will could lead to rebellion.
The alternative would be to create robots.

He would not have been willing to risk giving us free will if he lacked the power to complete his purpose.

And we would not be here.
FBM

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 08:13 pm
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/manslaughter-conviction-faith-healing-ore-couple-upheld-article-1.2395391

Quote:
Manslaughter conviction of faith-healing Oregon couple who didn't take dying premature newborn to hospital is upheld

The manslaughter conviction of a faith-healing Oregon couple who did nothing as their son died nine hours after he was born was upheld last week by the state's Supreme Court.

Dale and Shannon Hickman, who are members of the Followers of Christ church, refused to take little David to the hospital in 2009 even though he was born two months premature and weighed under four pounds.

The couple was convicted of second-degree manslaughter two years later, and was sentenced to six years in prison.

In their failed plea to the Oregon Supreme Court, the Hickmans claimed that the state had the burden to prove the couple knew their religious beliefs would cause the death of their child.

The state Supreme Court's decision recounted the minimal steps the Hickmans took to try to save the baby. If they had taken David to a hospital, there is a 99 percent chance he would have survived, a doctor testified at the trial.

"Dale ran into the room where one of his aunts was holding David and anointed David’s head with olive oil and began to pray," the Oct. 8 state Supreme Court decision read. "He noticed that David was taking short breaths, was minimally responsive, and was lighter in color, so he took David into the bedroom where Shannon still lay. At that point, it was 'in the back of [DALE'S] mind' that David would not survive. He sat in a chair by the bed, held David in his arms, and prayed."

The main cause of David's death was staphylococcus pneumonia, the coroner said.

During the trial, both parents testified that "they would not have done anything differently."

"They maintained that they did not believe that anything was medically wrong with David after he was born, despite his prematurity," the state Supreme Court's decision read. "And by the time they realized that David was having medical complications, they believed that it was too late — that he would have died before an ambulance could have responded."

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 09:48 pm
@neologist,
More red herring, non-sequiturs.

All of this does not negate, or even come close to addressing, the fact that God is complicit in the tormenting of Job, and by your interpretation, humankind.
neologist

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 10:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
And yet you seem unable to articulate how God could or should have acted differently.
Leadfoot

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 11:32 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
@InfraBlue,
And yet you seem unable to articulate how God could or should have acted differently
Neo, I'm inclined to agree with you that God had no choice but to act as he did in Job's story. But the whole argument hinges on why this was so. What justified God's complicity in the undeserved torture of Job? Without this justification, God is a cruel, irrational and capricious being.

My apologies if you already answered this point but I missed it if you did.
neologist

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 01:04 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
. . . Neo, I'm inclined to agree with you that God had no choice but to act as he did in Job's story. But the whole argument hinges on why this was so. What justified God's complicity in the undeserved torture of Job? Without this justification, God is a cruel, irrational and capricious being.

My apologies if you already answered this point but I missed it if you did.
I believe I have answered and explained.
Satan's allegations about Job are the same as they are about all humans and, in fact, all intelligent creation: that no one will serve God except out of selfishness. Here are a few examples:
Quote:
Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. (Luke 22:31)
Quote:
4 “Skin for skin!” Satan replied. “A man will give all he has for his own life.(Job 2:4)
Consider the tests he placed on Jesus. Besides offering him control of the earth (Matthew 4:9), he later submitted Jesus to cruel torture and death. There are countless examples of men and women who have been faithful under these tests, so one might think that, by now, sufficient evidence would exist for God to put an end to Satan's rule. Sufficient, yes. But we are not the timekeepers.
Frank Apisa

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 05:17 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

It must be terrifying for you. . .
If both of us are wrong, Frank, we will live a few more years (a lot, I hope) then croak. I can't imagine either of us looking forward to that day. But we can neither predict nor change, eh? In the meantime, I have a fine hope, I can drink beer. I can travel, play pinochle, and love my wife.

Terrifying? No more than you, Frank. Likely less.

If you are willing to justify or rationalize the conduct of the god of the Bible with regard to what happened to Adam and Eve in the garden...to rationalize and justify what happened to all of humanity in that pathetic myth of a "fall"...

...you are terrified of the god, Neo.

It may be difficult for you to see it...or to acknowledge it...but you are TERRIFIED of the god if you cannot say to it, "What a piece of dung that "fall" crap was. It was a sting...and you ought to be ashamed of yourself for having done it."

C'mon. Let us hear you speak up to your god, Neo.

Show us you are not terrified of the god.

But you won't...because you are blind with fear at the monster.
Frank Apisa

Sat 17 Oct, 2015 05:21 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Of course, God knew that free will could lead to rebellion.
The alternative would be to create robots.

NO...THE ALTERNATIVE WOULD HAVE BEEN TO ARM THE TWO PEOPLE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND BAD...OF RIGHT AND WRONG SO THAT THEY COULD EXERCISE THIS SUPPOSED FREE WILL WITH SOME KIND OF REASON.

The story is attempting to explain why humans have the conditions they have...and it does a horribly poor job of it.

Wake up...drop the fear...an recognize it for the defective fable it is.

Quote:
He would not have been willing to risk giving us free will if he lacked the power to complete his purpose.

And we would not be here.

Do you realize how absurd all that is. All you are doing is rationalizing the god's absurd conduct...in an illogical way?

Stop being afraid, Neo.