What good does religion offer the world today?

neologist

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 01:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You're right.
At first I thought I understood something.
I mean . . . er . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 01:19 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
What part of "more natural panthea based on science" don't you understand, Frank?
Well.... Yeah!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 02:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

What part of "more natural panthea based on science" don't you understand, Frank?

I understand the words "more" and "natural"...although I have trouble understanding what a "more natural" thing would be. Seems a thing is either natural...or unnatural, but once it is natural, how does one get it to be "more natural."

I have no idea of what a "panthea" is.

I'm still holding off on the "based on science."
neologist

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 02:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Panthea is the plural of pantheon.
Which makes you wonder: If a pantheon is a gaggle of gods, what could its plural represent? Gag?
Frank Apisa

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 02:48 pm
@neologist,
Thank you, Neo. Using panthea that way seems a bit pretentious. Sorta like saying "The opera were delightful."

It is interesting to wonder why he would use the plural of a word that is a plural.

But not too interesting.
Wink
neologist

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 03:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You and I against the world, Frank. Very Happy
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 07:28 am
https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/10958924_10152638723335940_4453301846152246858_n.jpg?oh=87e6db2294eb3cbddc84557be2dbf83d&oe=55AFF52A
TheCobbler

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 08:37 am
@TheCobbler,
An example of more natural panthea .

(fill in the blank) ________ goddess was impregnated with light by (fill in the blank) _______God.

(fill in the blank) _________ (some deity) hatched the Earth from a turtle's egg...

or

The earth was struck by a large comet and formed the moon which facilitated life to occur.

Which is more true, more natural, more intellectually factual?

The road back to nature is an incremental one, we more resemble the structures and inner workings of nature so we can more perfectly coexist with it.

Perhaps if our gods had the names of the elements rather than the elements having the names of our gods?

So our elements are now bound by the intellectualism derived from religion rather than our religion derived by the characteristics and nature of the elements.

A false story has been superimposed over our natural world.

I just wish the story was more true to actual nature and science rather than so manipulatively contrived and blatantly false.

We are filled with the "mythology of the son" that has brought us despots and arrogant rulers, yet few of us know of the "science of the sun"... which continues to bring us life. The sun tells a different story than religion.

Religious people seek the afterlife while dropping the ball on this life, this is unthinkable!

Though religion seems natural it is actually artificial. Religion is an unnatural tree of knowledge of good and evil for people seeking self deism and to persecute. While the tree of life (science) few desire to eat from.

More natural implies a element of truth and reality that is missing from religion.

There is the religion made by humans and then there is the story of the natural world (science) that is laid open like a book. Do we forsake the book of truth (science) for the book of vain imaginations?

Yet, we approach the story of nature like we already have the knowledge. This "religious" knowledge obfuscates the true parallels of our existence physical/natural and substitutes it with one of purely artificial and errant speculation based upon faith rather than observation.

The road back to nature and the focus upon the real works of our universe requires unlearining religion and then relearning the natural world the way it is and not the way it is superstitiously preconceived to be.

If our world does not proclaim the works of some god then adding a god to it only adds a subtle lie to every aspect of life and becomes a catalyst for reason gone awry.

The ruling powers of the world depend on the disconnect from science to substitute blind religious obedience to the people of the world.

Religion blinds one to the natural world, it obfuscates truth so the science of learning and discovery cannot shine through to our intellect and understanding.

So the truth is obfuscated by the shock and awe of religion and its claims of gods which exist beyond the realms of observation.

It is easy to move mountains that are based upon a lie...

I find religion intellectually stimulating, an exercise in mental calisthenics, like playing Tetris.

But I have to separate religion from my moral and ethical considerations because I do not trust the science behind religion.

Thus lies the crux of the problem, religion injects an unnatural perspective into the natural order of things and the results are the absurd and fictional conclusions of religious dogma. (i.e. god controls the weather)

Religion uses the instruments of words rather than the instrument of observation it uses grandiose intellectualism rather than evidence based methods. Thus it is more likely to impose error upon the natural interpretation of life rather than truth.

Religions borrow morality from one another like they have none of their own to impart...

Religion requires an obfuscation of morality to accept it...
izzythepush

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 08:45 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

An example of more natural panthea .

(fill in the blank) ________ goddess was impregnated with light by (fill in the blank) _______God.

(fill in the blank) _________ (some deity) hatched the Earth from a turtles egg...

or

The earth was struck by a large comet and formed the moon which facilitated life to occur.

I don't know, they all sound pretty fantastic, especially the one about Father Christmas' reindeer growing to enormous size and smashing into the Earth.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 08:54 am
@TheCobbler,
That one from Islam only applies to other Muslims. There is no Golden Rule in Islam.

Quote:
Islam and the Golden Rule

by Ali Sina

Our friend Robert Spencer of Jihad Watch, the indefatigable defender of the Western civilization, send me the following email and asked me to answer to the criticism of a Muslim to an article that I wrote four years ago on the incompatibility of Islam and the Golden Rule. Here is this Muslim’s rebuttal and my response to him.

Quote:
There is nothing in the Quran and Hadith that would make us believe that Islam is compatible with the Golden Rule.

http://www.islam-watch.org/AliSina/Islam-and-Golden-Rule.htm
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 09:13 am
http://www.norulak.com/zodiac1.gif
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 05:10 pm
one must be true... right?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=603062259730247

tree of... too much information?

tree of selection.

0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 06:27 pm
The first U.S. penny touts science, not God
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/the-first-u-s-penny-touts-science-not-god/
neologist

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 07:41 pm
@TheCobbler,
Therefore . . . ?
0 Replies

FBM

Fri 3 Apr, 2015 10:30 pm
It offers some pretty batshit stuff, too: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/filipino-catholics-have-hands-and-feet-nailed-to-crosses-in-bloody-good-friday-crucifixion-rites/

Quote:
Filipino Catholics have hands and feet nailed to crosses in bloody Good Friday crucifixion rites
Agence France-Presse AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
03 APR 2015 AT 12:37 ET

Devotees in the fervently Catholic Philippines marked Good Friday by being nailed to crosses and whipping their backs bloody, in extreme acts of devotion that attracted thousands of spectators.

The annual ritual in scorching hot farmlands just outside of Manila is one of many colourful outpourings of faith in the Southeast Asian nation, where 80 percent of its 100 million people are Catholics.

“I feel no pain because I know I am one with my God in suffering,” 30-year-old construction worker Arjay Rivera told AFP before he slit his back with broken bottles and razors, later whipping himself with bamboo flails to keep the wounds open.
Olivier5

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 07:14 am
@FBM,
Quote:
“I have a high-risk pregnancy because I’m diabetic. I hope this devotion will help me,” the 32-year-old housewife told AFP as she took refuge from the searing heat.

Yeah sure...

But:
Quote:
San Fernando Archbishop Florentino Lavarias has discouraged the bloody practice, saying there are other ways to profess one’s faith. “Our acts should be geared toward good works. Christian life is not something that is done overnight,” he counselled.
FBM

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 07:23 am
@Olivier5,
Just to clarify the quotation, I am not pregnant nor diabetic. Nor deluded by religion, nor think that an Archbishop has any god-given authority to speak for every person suffering from his religion.
Olivier5

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 07:30 am
@FBM,
Nor were you interviewed by AFP. But thanks for clarifying. :-)

Santa Maria Magdalena!!!
https://s.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/79skWdiVQntjxhJZPnKZng--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7aWw9cGxhbmU7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/020ff8ebf827930e720f6a7067006dce.jpg
Girls watch as penitents dressed as Roman empire's soldiers walk around the village during the "Nuestro Padre Jesus Preso" Holy Week procession in Puente Genil, Spain. April 2.
argome321

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 08:44 am
@TheCobbler,

So therefore god must exist?

I would bet that that penny is worth more than all of god's infinite wisdom.
0 Replies

FBM

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:18 pm
@Olivier5,
Good golly, Miss Molly, I could be Catholic in Spain if it would help me hook up with those señoritas... Shocked
0 Replies