What good does religion offer the world today?

NSFW (view)
TheCobbler

Sat 6 May, 2017 08:18 am
@reasoning logic,
Well that is a matter of opinion...

Providing healthcare is, walking in God's stead..

God has no hands but our hands to walk among the almost dead.

Bernie's elite are not God either...

Remember when you point your finger you have three pointing back at yourself.

The votes in congress speak for themselves.

When one votes along side the NRA, as Bernie has done, they vote with party of death...

Accepting money from the NRA for political gain is as deplorable as it gets.
reasoning logic

Sat 6 May, 2017 08:39 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Providing healthcare is, walking in God's stead..

Do you think that the slave Masters thought this of themselves when they gave medical treatment to their slaves or do you think that the slave master seen a profit in doing so?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sat 6 May, 2017 09:17 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:

Exodus 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.

Reasoning Logic 20:17 Thou shalt tell neighbor's wife not to share nude photos of herself with all the neighbor.
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 12 May, 2017 04:05 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
The aliens are not warlike they are friendly and accommodating. . .
Certainly they would treat us with the same respect and dignity we, as Europeans, treated all the primitive societies we encountered.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 14 May, 2017 06:55 am
Over the last century, Christians have won a total of 78.3% of all the Nobel Prizes in Peace, 72.5% in Chemistry, 65.3% in Physics, 62% in Medicine, 54% in Economics and 49.5% of all Literature awards.

- List of Christian Nobel laureates - Wikipedia

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”
 ― Werner Heisenberg
izzythepush

Sun 14 May, 2017 07:15 am
@Leadfoot,
If you post claims without linking the sources don't expect your claims to be taken seriously. What do you mean by Christian? Observant, church going or anyone who when pressed says "I suppose I'm a Christian, I was brought up as one. Does that make me one?"
cicerone imposter

Sun 14 May, 2017 11:28 am
@Leadfoot,
What has Christianity have to do with science? What has any religion have to do with science? Religion is philosophy. Science is the study to understand our environment that can be checked and rechecked. There is no way to check an invisible god.
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news1100/science.html
neologist

Sun 14 May, 2017 10:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
. . . There is no way to check an invisible god...
Are you sure?
cicerone imposter

Mon 15 May, 2017 10:37 am
@neologist,
Positive. Show us the evidence that your god exists.
reasoning logic

Mon 15 May, 2017 05:17 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
. . There is no way to check an invisible god.

Quote:
Are you sure?

Are you suggesting that there is a way to check for the existence of an invisible spaghetti monster god?
neologist

Mon 15 May, 2017 08:40 pm
@reasoning logic,
CI wrote:
. . There is no way to check an invisible god.
neo wrote:
Are you sure?
reasoning logic wrote:
Are you suggesting that there is a way to check for the existence of an invisible spaghetti monster god?
Sorry. I forgot about your obsessive attachment to pasta.
Are you saying you prefer the invisible type?
Where do you place the meatballs and sauce?

But as for the true God, it certainly is possible to test his existence.

Psalm 34:8
neologist

Mon 15 May, 2017 08:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There is no secret evidence available to only a select few.
My evidence is the same as your evidence.
How would you like to evaluate the evidence?
cicerone imposter

Mon 15 May, 2017 08:46 pm
@neologist,
According to logic, your god doesn't exist. Nobody has provided any evidence.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 16 May, 2017 02:41 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
If you post claims without linking the sources don't expect your claims to be taken seriously. What do you mean by Christian?

Izzy, Read The Post. I included the source:

Wikipedia: List of Christian Nobel laureates

You will have to ask the Nobel winners themselves since Wiki says they themselves self identified as Christians.

But given the title of this thread, it bears repeating, so here is the direct quote since you couldn't be bothered to read either my post or look it up yourself.

Quote:
The Nobel Prize is an annual, international prize first awarded in 1901 for achievements in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Peace. An associated prize in Economics has been awarded since 1969.[3] Nobel Prizes have been awarded to 881 individuals.[4] According to 100 Years of Nobel Prize (2005), a review of Nobel prizes awarded between 1901 and 2000, 65.4% of Nobel Prize Laureates, have identified Christianity in its various forms as their religious preference (427 prizes).[5] Overall, Christians have won a total of 78.3% of all the Nobel Prizes in Peace, 72.5% in Chemistry, 65.3% in Physics, 62% in Medicine, 54% in Economics and 49.5% of all Literature awards.[6]

The three primary divisions of Christianity are Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and Protestantism. Between 1901 and 2000 it was revealed that among 654 Laureates 31.9% have identified as Protestant in its various forms (208 prize), 20.3% were Christians (no information about their denominations; 133 prize), 11.6% have identified as Catholic and 1.6% have identified as Eastern Orthodox.[7] Although Christians make up over 33.2% of the worlds population,[8][9][10][11] they have won a total of 65.4% of all Nobel prizes between 1901 and 2000.[6]

According to Scientific Elite: Nobel Laureates in the United States by Harriet Zuckerman, a review of American Nobel prizes awarded between 1901 and 1972, 72% of American Nobel Prize laureates identified a Protestant background.[12] Overall, 84.2% of all the Nobel Prizes awarded to Americans in Chemistry, 60% in Medicine, and 58.6% in Physics between 1901 and 1972 were won by Protestants.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_Nobel_laureates

izzythepush

Tue 16 May, 2017 02:49 am
@Leadfoot,
No you didn't. You claimed a source, but you did not provide links to back up that source. We should not be doing your work for you. You could not be bothered to provide the details, that's your job.

Now you have, although "65.4% of Nobel Prize Laureates, have identified Christianity in its various forms as their religious preference" isn't the same as saying these individuals are observant, they probably just could have been ticking boxes.
Leadfoot

Tue 16 May, 2017 02:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
What has Christianity have to do with science? What has any religion have to do with science? Science is the study to understand our environment that can be checked and rechecked.

Sorry if I don't follow your personal guidelines. The title of this thread asks a question. I was answering that question.

Christians generally believe that science is nothing but the reverse engineering of what God designed.

Besides, didn't you say - "My religion is science." ?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 16 May, 2017 02:56 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
they probably just could have been ticking boxes.
Oh, I see, those Nobel Laureates weren't competent to tick the right box? Or you think they were lying? What?

Pretty desperate Izzy.
izzythepush

Tue 16 May, 2017 03:29 am
@Leadfoot,
I mean that not everyone treats religion as the most important thing in their lives, a lot of people don't give it much thought, but when pressed will give the religion they were brought up as, whether they still believe in it or not.

I posted this 0n another thread, but it's relevant here too.

Olivier5

Tue 16 May, 2017 04:50 am
@Leadfoot,
Interesting. There is no doubt that various christian denominations have historically played an important role in the development of modern science, even though this fact does not fit with the naive and self-serving positivist narrative of science oddly and miraculously emerging from ages of religious stupidity.

I wonder what would be the stats if the Mongols had not sacked Baghdad and put an the end to the Islamic Golden Age, during which Islam had more scholars and scientists than anybody else. I suspect there woulnd't even be a "Nobel price". It would be the "Arun Al Rashid price" or something...