What good does religion offer the world today?

cicerone imposter

Sun 2 Apr, 2017 04:33 pm
@TheCobbler,
I don't bow down to science, but it's what I rely on to learn about our species and environment.
Fil Albuquerque

Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:58 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

I bow down to the altar of science and worship observation and evidence with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.

If you bow down you know little about it...
0 Replies

ashwin723

Sun 2 Apr, 2017 08:54 pm
Man’s quest for happiness generates the need to define the meaning/purpose of life. The resulting ideology is called religion. The highly exalted thinkers define the basic ideas, but the less exalted add magic and myths to the ideology, to enlist blind obedience, in their zeal to gain prestige for their cause and/or for themselves.

The concept of spiritualism is presented to us as supernatural; magical. But if the whole creation obeys logic, then how can spirituality, or anything else, be beyond logic?

To me, to think with the whole mind, in calm state, is spiritualism. Cool hearted contemplation of the mind throws light on my pride, greed and fears. Once such toxins are loosened, the cleansing continues. I keep gaining deeper understanding of myself and of people around me. I achieve more tolerance, towards myself and others; I receive more love and respect. It reduces my frustrations, anger, anxiety, guilt and unhappiness. We can call this character building. I don't know whether the universe is real or an illusion, does God exist or not.

Sincerity, is not lying to yourself. This makes one more worthy of happiness. To me this is religion.

cicerone imposter

Sun 2 Apr, 2017 11:49 pm
@ashwin723,
Quote:
The concept of spiritualism is presented to us as supernatural; magical.

Spiritualism is a man-made concept that has been created by man in many cultures. Most are of one god or another. There were gods before the christian god.

Nobody has seen any god or gods, because they are of the mind.

From the fact that many cultures have created different gods, man is prone to a belief in the "higher power."

All religions has the same problems inherent in logic. There's no evidence for it.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 3 Apr, 2017 10:12 pm
@Krumple,
Trigger?
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 11:07 pm
Thou shalt not!

(listen to phantoms)
cicerone imposter

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 11:31 pm
@TheCobbler,
The problem with "thou shalt not" is the contradiction to kill all non-believers.
TheCobbler

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 03:24 am
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s851x315/17523694_10206753078825110_2589901760594813207_n.jpg?oh=26563edb76736501172c2fc1bb7eb4eb&oe=595C6E65
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 03:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
Unless it is used as a joke. Smile

Comedy can often bring to light the ridiculousness of religious belief.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 03:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
When Paul the apostle (supposedly) stood on Mars Hill in Rome,

He marveled at how many gods there were. Romans had no problem bowing to numerous gods. There were so many gods it was evident that most were not seen with any real importance, ...except (according to Paul) one.

Mars Hill had a shire also to "the unknown God"...

Paul felt that the Romans had been, unbeknownst to them, worshiping the true God all along.

Religious people know not what they believe and believe in what they do not know.

Say a prayer, bow on your knees and sacrifice your intellect on the altar of reason to the known Gods...

What is unknown must be revealed. What is known is either mythical fabrication or evidentiary truth.

Science is the unknown God.
Fil Albuquerque

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 09:06 am
@TheCobbler,
Living is a constant surrender of rationality to belief.
TheCobbler

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 05:28 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I was once taught that faith bridges the gap between science and God.

Faith is merely speculation fostered by a rude and egotistical lack of rational.
TheCobbler

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:02 am
Natural Selection and the Rock Pocket Mouse — HHMI BioInteractive Video

You can thank Richard Dawkins for sharing this video so I might view it and share it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:12 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Faith is merely speculation fostered by a rude and egotistical lack of rational.
Im gonna make some tee shirts (NO I wont send em to Indonesia)
In order to shorten it for the American Span of Attention Ill edit thusly:

"FAITH IS MERE SPECULATION FOSTERED BY IGNORANCE OF THE RATIONAL

Love it , love it.

Ill be doing a adjunct teachathon in evolutionary paleontology next spring. Im gonna have somma these on the back desk as a "gift " to students nuts enough to take the course
Olivier5

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:44 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Living is a constant surrender of rationality to belief.

Yes, because one has to take decisions and rationality only helps us half-way there. We usually have to take a "leap of faith" to decide anything.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:03 am
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17883821_10155012167495155_2628372472861343313_n.png?oh=a01326ad7e0652c96d0f056f55a2a75b&oe=595D3174
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:11 am
@farmerman,
What about when scientists speculate beyond what their instruments can explain?

Yes, that is an educated guess, but.

Are there any mysteries with science or just undiscovered conclusions?

Is life a mystery? Are quarks mysteries? Gravity and particles and energy so small we may never observe them?

Could something travel faster than light if it was foreign to our big bang?
cicerone imposter

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 12:05 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Is life a mystery?

Yes, for everybody who has ever lived. Not many spend many hours philosophising what it all means. We spend our waking hours with family, friends, jobs and our leisure time and how to spend what we earn.

Many people believe in one religion or another, and some are atheists.

Each individual arrives at their own conclusion about what "life is all about."

Many are influenced by their genes and environment.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 11 Apr, 2017 09:19 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:

Except when it's not. Stereotyping is easy and fun, but it's neither scientific nor rational.
rosborne979

Tue 11 Apr, 2017 09:48 am
Carl Sagan wrote:
It seems to me what is called for is an exquisite balance between two conflicting needs: the most skeptical scrutiny of all hypotheses that are served up to us and at the same time a great openness to new ideas … If you are only skeptical, then no new ideas make it through to you … On the other hand, if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense in you, then you cannot distinguish the useful ideas from the worthless ones.
"The Burden of Skepticism" in Skeptical Inquirer Vol. 12, Issue 1 (Fall 1987)