politics in metaphor

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:24 pm
We poets see with different eyes. Here's a story. Once upon a time Stravinsky wrote a new piece that had a very difficult section for the violin. He called in the world's most famous violinist and said, "I want you to perform this." The violinist was very pleased, took the score away, and studied it. He came back in a week and said, "Mr. Stravinsky, I can't do it. Nobody can do it. It's too difficult." Stravinsky said, "But you're the greatest in the world. Go back. Try again. Think about it hard. I know you can do it." The violinist again went off and studied the piece for a week, tried every way he could to play it the way it was written, and finally came back and said, "Mr. Stravinsky, it cannot be done." Stravinsky said, "You don't understand. What I want is the sound of someone trying to play this."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,536 • Replies: 24
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:40 pm
metaphor
Wonderful, dyslexia. I'll be using this for years to come. I'm a violinist who socializes with many violinists. Can't wait to bump into them. You know this is particularly relevant to the history of music. You know that the NEW music--since Stravinsky, Schoenberg, and others--is les concerned with beauty as conceived in more traditional times (now it's like the so-called "flawed" voices in pop music since people like Bob Dylan and modernist painters like Matisse who didn't conceal their changes on canvases). Brahms frequently consulted the violinist, Joachim, to see if some of his composed violin passages were "violinistic," that is to say playable in a manner consistent with the delivery of beautiful phrases and sounds. But in your delightful tale, Stranvinsky did not care if the violinist played certain passages beautifully. Indeed, the disfigurement of the violinist's failed attempts were part of Stravinsky's new aesthetic.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 12:28 am
Wonderful intelligent thoughts both of you.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 01:12 pm
metaphor
Thanks, Joaane. I wish this wonderful topic had been followed up on (pardon the english). BTW, Joanne, I'm going to be away for 4 days and might, therefore, miss the Sunday chat.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 01:48 pm
Yes, I found this last night and after reading all the contentious squabbling among the other political topics it seemed like an island of sanity amidst a sea of distress. And as you know my thesis of life is that the fine arts (music and visual) are a reflection of the times in which they are produced. In my opinion lots of people who do not like contemporary art just cannot face what is really happening in the world. If the art doesn't make sense perhaps the cosmic unconsciousness is not making sense?

We will miss your input JLN but we all cannot be available every Sunday.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 02:18 pm
i am glad that at least someone read it. i was kinda hoping for some discusion to follow but so it goes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 04:14 pm
I am trying to figure out the meaning of your metaphor in relation to politics, Dys - I have read it, but not responded before.

I am unsure if you are thinking of the difficulty of comprehending and acting well in relation to the complexity of broadly political realities, or about political discourse --- but 'tis a wonderful and resonant metaphor...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 04:19 pm
I like it, too.

What I take away from it, though it's a stretch and probably not intended, is that a politician who really tries, even if the end result is less than hoped, is a wonderful thing. Paul Wellstone comes to mind.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 04:20 pm
I saw that Joanne recommended this topic and have come to see. I understand that art mirrors life, therefore a confused era such as our own may engender confusing art. I like the Stravinsky story very much... though to me it means try, try again, strive even against impossible odds.

About politics in metaphor... will you give a political example? Maybe that will make me understand this better. Right now I feel that politics has left me by the wayside -- there is very little that I find remotely understandable happening on the political stage.

Instead, it is like someone reads my mind and then does the exact opposite of what I believe should be done. Very frustrating. I've begun to see how the apathetic non-voter thinks. Politics has become, for me, a non-issue. My political feelings have been so badly blunted that I just don't give a damn anymore... is that what the politicians want?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 04:33 pm
No - I don't think that is what good politicians want Piffka.

You know, I find the constant denigration of politicians very distressing - probably because, now, a number of people i have known for a long time are in government in my state - including my dearest friend of almost 30 years.

It IS a most "unplayable' piece - trying to make decisions that will be good ones - in the face of the multitudinous differing interests that people have, the practical realities, the restraints imposed by world politics -eg the hegemony of economic rationalism, the differing views of colleagues, the limits of the electorate's thinking on issues - the limits of the knowledge and prescience that one can have. Oh - and not having any money - which is the case of my state...

I cannot comment on political reality in the US - but, having seen the realities of power (albeit in a tiny state in a tiny country) and the terrible toll it takes on those who are responsible for it, and the terrible importance of the job - and the appalling hours worked - I am very unwilling to sit and judge harshly - and I think many of our politicains are, indeed, people of conscience and integrity, even when I disagree passionately with what they do.

If I were the violinist - not only struggling with the fiendish difficulty of the piece - but also contending constantly with the harshest criticism from those who are not playing, then........... well - I would and do not have the guts to take the violin to even try!

But I do not know if it is all very different where you guys are....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 04:34 pm
Piffka wrote:
Instead, it is like someone reads my mind and then does the exact opposite of what I believe should be done. Very frustrating. I've begun to see how the apathetic non-voter thinks. Politics has become, for me, a non-issue. My political feelings have been so badly blunted that I just don't give a damn anymore... is that what the politicians want?

Who cares what They want, piffka? If you think something different should be done, do something about it. I know you've become disillusioned, but why not give it another try?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 04:49 pm
Dlowan, I think that we have become jaded by the commodification of politicians here -- the one with the best marketing machine wins.

I agree that it's an incredibly difficult job, and part of why the whole "character" thing makes me so mad is that it scares off those who would be perfectly wonderful at the JOB of being a politician, but have some kind of skeleton in the closet. I don't think it's fair or for the greater good that a person who has the work ethic, compassion, and intellect to be a truly fantastic politician can either have a career destroyed or never even start because of marital infidelities, for example. All things being equal, I'd like to elect a politician who is both excellent at his/ her job and perfectly ethical within his/ her marriage. But all things being equal, I rue the preponderance of mildly ambitious stuffed shirts who were at the right place at the right time with the right haircut.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 04:51 pm
It's not the end result, it's the process.

It's always the process.

Sometimes, there is no end result.

Good politicians care enough to get involved and want the rest of us to care enough, too. Self-serving politicians prefer apathy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 04:57 pm
<nodding in agreement with Angie>
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 05:06 pm
"It's always the process."

and therein lies the heart of my metaphor.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 05:11 pm
Ah, Soze - therein lies, I believe, a basic difference - in Oz, people's private lives remain pretty much private - and I pray that never changes. A couple of Prime Ministers ago, a co-operated with biography of the PM was published, early in his term, detailing his many infidelities and his (overcome) drinking problem. Of course, everyone knew anyway - and nobody much cared. His wife -already and still an icon - was viewed with even more affection for sticking with the randy bugger!

Process indeed, Dys....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 05:31 pm
Well, hmmm. The process?

We like to say in the family that it is a good thing that government cannot be rushed... Lord knows, they do enough damage crawling along.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 07:11 pm
piffka thats very true and i do believe our government was created with that premise in mind, an efficient government is a dangerous government.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 07:23 pm
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 07:31 pm
dyslexia wrote:
piffka thats very true and i do believe our government was created with that premise in mind, an efficient government is a dangerous government.

"While it is true we have the best politicians money can buy, we should be eternally grateful we get nowhere near the amount of government we pay for"
Will Rogers

timber
0 Replies