question for my phd...need you to answer one question

mbm13

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2015 07:46 pm
Describe why an object will sink in water and why some objects will float.

FBM

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2015 07:53 pm
@mbm13,
For very small objects, it can either be density, a hydrophobic surface or surface tension. For larger objects, it's density. I think.

Of course, if the water's frozen...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2015 08:09 pm
@mbm13,
I suspect a terrible fraud is in our midst. Or your thread is poorly title....

Are you implying that you are presently pursuing a doctoral degree and that you have the audacity to get homework help? Hopefully you're not getting any degree in science and hopefully your academic pursuit is in philosophy or literature.... You should already know about fluids and density before you graduate and receive your bachelor's degree in science.
FBM

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2015 08:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, I gave him/her the benefit of the doubt. I just finished reading about adult science (il)literacy in the US, so I was primed to answer.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2015 05:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Hmm...
I can conceive of a PhD thesis on "the nature of scientific explanation", but obviously not on elementary physics. On the other hand, anybody who uses lower case "phd" is unlikely to be operating at post graduate level.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2015 05:51 am
@mbm13,
Displacement due to weight and volume differences. Its in chapter nine. Read it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2015 06:34 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

On the other hand, anybody who uses lower case "phd" is unlikely to be operating at post graduate level.

And I suspect they wouldn't use the phrase Describe why an object will sink. Shouldn't it be Describe how an object will sink, or Explain why an object will sink?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2015 06:35 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
I can conceive of a PhD thesis on "the nature of scientific explanation", but obviously not on elementary physics. On the other hand, anybody who uses lower case "phd" is unlikely to be operating at post graduate level.
Who knows? Those for $25 might have a question to answer (if you pay more, you get your "phd" without any homework).

http://i60.tinypic.com/314owsm.jpg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2015 07:13 am
phd = pile it higher and deeper
neologist

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 11:16 pm
@Ragman,
Darn.
You stole my thunder.
0 Replies