UN Sex for Food Scandal

swolf

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:07 pm
http://www.brookesnews.com/040706unsexscandal.html

Quote:

....The Left continues to carp on Abu Ghraib even though some of the soldiers have been punished while others still face trial. The Left wants a pound of flesh in the form of resignations from Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice for starters.

This would only undermine the Bush Administration and that is precisely what the Left wants. How else to explain the rantings of Senator Edward Kennedy, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and most recently former Vice President Al Gore in his infamous address in front of MoveOn.org at New York University? If it did not harm the Bush Administration, the Left would not have shed a tear for the prisoners at Abu Ghraib.

Those who might doubt this conclusion need look no further than the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly known as Zaire) at the disgraceful behaviour of the United Nations peacekeeping force in that country. Known as MONUC (UN Mission to the Democratic Republic of Congo), it was recently revealed by the UK newspaper The Independent that MONUC soldiers have been raping and impregnating girls as young as thirteen years old in exchange for food. The MONUC soldiers are from Morocco and Uruguay.

Kate Holt and Sarah Hughes, who co-authored the article, interviewed more than thirty girls who disclosed that they had been raped by the soldiers. Testimony from one girl named Faela is particularly chilling:

If I go and see the soldiers at night and sleep with them, then they give me food, maybe a banana or a cake,� she says, looking down at her son. �I have to do it with them because there is nobody to care, nobody else to protect Joseph except me. He is all I have and I must look after him.

Faela is only thirteen years old.

These girls live in a camp for displaced person in Bunia that was set up by Atlas, an NGO, under UN supervision. Many of them came from the Ituri province, in the northeast of the country, which has been devastated by ethnic strife. Many of these girls are without families and have no one to feed, shelter and protect them. NGO workers seem afraid of the MONUC soldiers and are unwilling to help those who are most vulnerable. One relief worker who spoke to Holt and Hughes on the condition of anonymity said:

Yes, we know that girls go and visit the UN soldiers every night. There is nothing to stop them, and the girls need food. It is best to keep quiet, though. I am frightened that if I say something I may lose my job, and I have children of my own to feed. ...

Naturally enough, not a word of any of this in our leftist media. Not interesting enough to report...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 666 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:32 pm
As a liberal, I believe that both rapes in American run prisons and in refugee camps are inexcusible.

I was especially shocked by Abu Graib because these crimes were done by Americans. These people represent me and are in Iraq in my name. I feel a special repugnance because of this.

That this story exists does not mean that it this effort to sweep the failures of the American military under the rug is jusitified. I think I am right to hold my military to a very high standard.

The writer in his partisan zeal got the story wrong. The original story by Kate Holt was reported by the BBC and can be found here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3769469.stm

This article notes that there has been an investigation of MUNOC by the UN.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 06:14 pm
The UN is basically a horrific disaster, and is so universally hated in NY that if Atta and co had flown their planes into the UN building they'd be first-magnitude heroes there and there would be statues of them.

The UN has no sort of a record which would lead anybody to think anything meaningful could come of them investigating themselves.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:14 pm
We discussed it here a while back.

UN rapes
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:27 pm
Pretty ugly picture, isn't it?

I mean, you've got all these third-worlders and barbarians working for the UN as "peacekeepers", you've got Jake Shellac and his German counterparts as well as Kofi Annan and his cronies all taking money from Saddam Hussein while the Iraqis who that money is supposed to be supplying with food are starving, you've got Hans Schlix who can't find the major rivers in Iraq and is probably taking money from Hussein, and we're all supposed to feel good about entrusting our security (against Hussein's anthrax and nuclear programs) to these fools.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:03 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
As a liberal, I believe that both rapes in American run prisons and in refugee camps are inexcusible.

I was especially shocked by Abu Graib because these crimes were done by Americans. These people represent me and are in Iraq in my name. I feel a special repugnance because of this.

That this story exists does not mean that it this effort to sweep the failures of the American military under the rug is jusitified. I think I am right to hold my military to a very high standard.

The writer in his partisan zeal got the story wrong. The original story by Kate Holt was reported by the BBC and can be found here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3769469.stm

This article notes that there has been an investigation of MUNOC by the UN.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is appropriate to sweep Abu Graib under the rug, and your point that American involvement in Abu Graib makes it particularly disturbing to Americans is well taken. One might also easily argue that it makes it more newsworthy as well.

There is a point, however, where the imbalance in coverage and outrage cannot be reasonably explained by the involvement of Americans.

Quite frankly, that the UN claims to be investigating the charges is a joke.

It's interesting that the UN's Iraqi oil for food scandal has fallen off the radar screen.

It's also interesting that the distrust and even hatred of the UN by Iraqis gets virtually no attention in the press either.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:22 pm
swolf wrote:
Pretty ugly picture, isn't it?

I mean, you've got all these third-worlders and barbarians working for the UN as "peacekeepers", you've got Jake Shellac and his German counterparts as well as Kofi Annan and his cronies all taking money from Saddam Hussein while the Iraqis who that money is supposed to be supplying with food are starving, you've got Hans Schlix who can't find the major rivers in Iraq and is probably taking money from Hussein, and we're all supposed to feel good about entrusting our security (against Hussein's anthrax and nuclear programs) to these fools.

Interesting opinion. And certainly, you can prove it by various sources.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 03:08 am
swolf wrote:
Naturally enough, not a word of any of this in our leftist media.

And you get that idea from what?
0 Replies