Anyone hear like blues?

layman

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 09:45 pm
0 Replies

layman

Tue 1 Aug, 2017 09:58 pm
Brownie and Sonny, they ROCK, eh!? Brownie was born in Tennessee, Sonny in North Carolina, and both spent years playing at tobacco auctions, fish fries, barrelhouses, etc., in the rural South. Both played with Blind Blake and Woody Guthrie, and later stayed together as a duo for over 40 years.

Brownie had polio as a child, and still limps. Sonny has been (virtually) blind since childhood. They've had many hard times on the road, over the years, but have no complaints.

In the 40's, they made their way to Harlem, and have since had roles in Broadway shows and Hollywood movies. Here's an extended live presentation of one of their many performances from places ranging from Carnegy Hall, to local bars in small towns--where I have met them both. It kinda reveals their personalities.

0 Replies

layman

Sun 1 Oct, 2017 09:51 am
One final post in this thread, which kinda served as my personal jukebox when I was here.

I'm sure I have posted this tune, "How many more years?," by Howlin Wolf (with Ike Turner on piano and Willie Johnson on guitar), before in this thread somewhere, but if once is good, then twice is more better, I always say.

Needless to say, Wolf is playing harp on this tune. It was first recorded by Howlin Wolf in Memphis in what became Sun Records in 1951, by Sam Phillips. Some have called it the first rock and roll song. Almost 70 years later, it's still a classic and one of my all-time favorite blues tunes.

The eminent musicologist and blues historian, Robert Palmer, has cited Willie Johnson's electric guitar work on the track as the first use of the power chord.

T-Bone Burnett wrote:
The first major breakthrough Sam [Phillips] made was with Howlin' Wolf. That's when he started bringing the bass and drums up loud. Back in those days the bass and drums were background instruments; it was all about the horns and the piano, the melody instruments, and Sam brought the rhythm section right up front, and that became rock 'n' roll. That was a big shift.... In some ways "How Many More Years" by Wolf would be the first rock ā€™nā€™ roll song because that has the guitar lick that became the central guitar lick in rock 'n' roll, and that's the first time we heard that played on a distorted guitar.

hightor

Sun 1 Oct, 2017 01:51 pm
@layman,
Well fella, I'll miss your contributions on this thread, if nowhere else. you obviously have a lot of knowledge about and love for this music. In another world I would have enjoyed discussing it with you.
wmwcjr

Sun 1 Oct, 2017 02:02 pm
@hightor,
"Cheese-Eater Blues"? Smile
wmwcjr

Sun 1 Oct, 2017 06:34 pm
@wmwcjr,
I shouldn't have posted this, but I can't delete it now.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 2 Oct, 2017 12:26 am
@layman,
This is the one I kind of think of as the paradigmatic Wolf song, (don't know whether it's been posted here, I would have thought so, but it too can bear repetition). Took the British blues kids by storm in the 60s, the Yardbirds with Clapton on guitar covered it with enthusiasm.
[
0 Replies

layman

Tue 5 Dec, 2017 09:36 pm
Canton, Missippi Breakdown--Elmore James.

The vocals kinda busted down, but not the intruments, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Mon 1 Jan, 2018 08:18 am
Classic Hound Dog Taylor, leavin the South Side with Muddy, Little Walter, and them to play for a big-ass crowd of white boys and girls in Michigan, eh?

Drunk, as always, and just havin a good time on stage with his cheap J.C. Penny amp and his crew.

0 Replies

layman

Fri 5 Jan, 2018 11:11 am
This here tune was written and first recorded by Stick McGhee, Brownie McGhee's brother. They called him stick, because as a kid he used a stick to push around a wagon with Brownie in it. Brownie had polio, and couldn't walk.

Problem was, when he went to record it, around 1947, they wouldn't let him use the lyrics. At least not the recurring use of "************" that it contained. He had to come up with a substitute word with the same number of syllables to keep the tempo right. So "'************" was replaced with "spo-dee-o-dee."

That way, everyone knew what he was really sayin. If you're in polite company, you can always call some bastard spo-dee-o-dee, ya know?

layman

Fri 5 Jan, 2018 11:15 am
@layman,
Here's another Killer tune from the london sessions, done with a buncha british pervs backing him up. Can't nobody never get enough Jerry Lee, I figure, eh?

Walter Hinteler

Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:10 pm
@layman,
Those "buncha british pervs" on video
layman

Fri 5 Jan, 2018 12:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks for the post, Walt. Yeah, that's them, sho nuff.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 6 Jan, 2018 02:14 am
Here's how you take an old country music standard (by Hank Williams), blues it up real good with a shuffle rhythm, a 12-bar structure, some slide guitar, and ****, and turn it into what most people would call "rock and roll," eh?

0 Replies

layman

Sat 6 Jan, 2018 03:06 pm
John done this here tune at Chess Records (with Little Walter on harp) in Chicago in 1953. About 30 years later some white boys came along, stole it, and made a hit out of it, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 09:20 am
It's the last fair deal goin down, Good Lawd, on that Gulfport Island Road.

I declare, don't cry this time...
If you cry about a nickle, you'll die about a dime.
Why doncha try, put your money with mine?
layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 09:43 am
@layman,
Just for the record, I know Johnson didn't say "I declare" in that last tune. He said "Ida Belle." I had to take literary licence to generalize it to all Babes, not just po ole Ida Belle, know what I'm sayin?
0 Replies

layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 07:34 pm
Good ole Mississippi Fred, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Tue 9 Jan, 2018 11:52 am
Big Bad Bo:

0 Replies

layman

Fri 12 Jan, 2018 06:11 am
Keb Mo and crew, doin a bluesy version of the Stones with some strong Dixieland Jazz and Cajun Zydeco elements throwed in, eh? All said and done, it, like, ROCKS, eh!"