Anyone hear like blues?

layman

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 11:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Yeah, that's a great Muddy Waters classic, sho nuff, Al. By the way, if you want to imbed the video, just put [youtube] before your link, and then put [/youtube] behind it. Then you get this:

0 Replies

layman

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 11:49 pm
When ya gotta good friend...

Wisdom from Robert Johnson, eh?

TomTomBinks

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 01:09 pm
@layman,
Nick Katzman and Ruby Green did a version of Charlie Patton's "Moon's Going Down". Can't find it on U Tube. It was published on a compilation record called "The Best of Country Blues" by Kicking Mule Records.

Here is Thomasina Winslow doing that song. It's awesome, but I like Ruby's voice better.
TomTomBinks

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 12:56 am
@TomTomBinks,

Here's another good one...
layman

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 01:03 am
@TomTomBinks,
Great tunes, sho nuff, Tom. Here's Charlie his own damn self doin that first tune. Like a lot of other delta bluesman of that era, he uses his guitar to double as a drum.

Muddy Waters also did that Magic Slim tune (first), as I'm sure you know. It's sometimes just called "Two Trains Runnin."

layman

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 01:22 am
A little J.B. Hutto, anybody?

0 Replies

layman

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 01:35 am
Here's another JB tune. An extended live "jam," if ya like that kinda thing. I usually don't, but this is good. JB is a little like Elmore James on acid, sometimes, ya know?

Olivier5

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 04:55 am
Lucky Peterson - Blues in My Blood

TomTomBinks

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:10 am
@layman,
I first noticed that with JLH, how he would slap the guitar body with his hand. And he seemed to be playing rhythm and melody at the same time. One man with one guitar and he sounded like a whole band, F***n amazing!
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:11 am
@Olivier5,
Ive built up three good playlists for my travellin music MP3 from this thread . Thank you all.

Olivier5

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:35 am
@farmerman,
Lucky Peterson's last album (Son of a Bluesman) comes highly recommended. :-) It's an auto-biography of sorts, as it tells about Lycky's childhood, his father etc. AND gorgeous musac.

From that album: Still Here
https://youtu.be/TI5GHHYE6Ko
farmerman

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 07:00 am
@Olivier5,
excellent stuff. Im actually not a huge blues fan but its good travelling music.

Olivier5

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 09:01 am
@farmerman,
I'm no big blues fan either, but about its use in travels:

I spent a few years in Afghanistan, way back when the USSR was still a thing and the moudjahedin were seen as freedom fighters. Pre-Taliban times, music was everywhere and particularly in cars. I would be exposed to hours of Pashtoon musac during car trips, and it struck me as being closed to the blues: simple harmony with standards and predictable chords; not much virtuosity in the instruments but a chorus here or there; a lot of emphasis on the voice and on the emotion the voice can carry; and the fact that all songs would sound pretty much the same.

So I recorded a couple of blues tapes at home, and during subsequent travels I played them again and again instead of the Pashtoon thing. Afghans just LOVED them...
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 10:26 pm
@layman,
The Blues had a baby and they called it Rock n Roll!!
TomTomBinks

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 12:52 am
@TomTomBinks,
0 Replies

layman

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 10:28 pm
A couple of classic Buster Brown tunes from the 50's:

Ya don't need no prescription...
Baby, ya aint needin no pills....
If Doctor Brown can't fix ya...
Aint nuthin gunna cure your ills.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 10:39 pm
This Chuck toon was later stolen by the Beach Boys (Surfin USA). At the very beginning is a brief shot of a very young Johnny Carson (on drums)

TomTomBinks

Sat 14 Jan, 2017 01:01 am
@layman,
I never dreamed that this wasn't original Beach Boys. I guess everyone was stealing music back then.
Layman, you seem to be VERY knowledgeable on this subject, and I've learned a lot just looking through this thread. If you would be so kind, give me your opinion on this: Who is doing blues now? I don't mean blues classics or covers of classics, I mean real modern blues.
Have a listen to this chick. I wouldn't call her especially talented but she seems to have the right idea, at least the spirit of it. (not bad to look at either!)

layman

Sat 14 Jan, 2017 01:05 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

If you would be so kind, give me your opinion on this: Who is doing blues now? I don't mean blues classics or covers of classics, I mean real modern blues.

Well, Tom, I'd be glad to help you if I could, but you're asking the wrong guy. I don't try to keep up with modern performers. There's enough blues accumulated prior to 1960, or maybe 1980, to keep me entertained.

I haven't listened to this Babe yet, but I will.

PS. I like her! I wouldn't necessarily call this blues, but I agree with you that she has the "right idea."
TomTomBinks

Sat 14 Jan, 2017 01:23 am
@layman,
Her "Greatest Hits" compilation would consist of just the one song I guess. I'll continue to scour the internet for some real modern blues, and if I find any, I'll post it here.