Flip-Flop :: Debate the other side :: Iraq

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:14 pm
CdK wrote:
But at the same time I don't think they are nations in a situation in which we can generate enough political capital to invade.

Sudan has been in a civil war for a number of years. MILLIONS have died as a result and genocide is a very real possibility. This doesn't offer enough incentive or clout for an invasion?! Shocked Israel and Palestine have been trading murders for decades. Untold numbers of casualties have occured and this doesn't generate enough political capital to motivate the american people?! But, Saddam MIGHT (with no history of doing so) support al Qaeda so we invade Iraq?!

CdK wrote:
Other nations might need it as badly but I fear my compatriots wouldn't care enough and I think Iraq is the only one that we could really sell to our public.

Which compatriots? England? they already had their chance in the Middle East. The rest of the coalition are there as mere decorations. It's like "Look! We have support!" but it is merely a token gesture for the most part.

If we want the UN to be able to handle these situations in the future, we must stop undercutting them. We can't act unilaterally and later claim to be the victim when the UN fails to support us.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:14 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Whew. That was harder than I thought it would be.

Aside: Yep, it's damn hard. The impulse is to just ape one's usual opponents, much harder is to actually think of good arguments for the opposite position.

Earlier, I had to actually skip a part of McG's argument because I could not come up with an earnest effort at countering it with a good one (though I could have responded from the stock and store I was unable to argue against it well).
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:15 pm
Craven writes:
Quote:
What is "proper" use of the UN?

What is the basis for the value judgement of "unnnecessary"?

In my opinion we are part of the UN and should rely on the ruling of that august body for policy decisions that affect the whole. If every nation that gets pissed at somebody else goes off willy nilly to initiate hostilities, what use is there for a UN anyway? Our actions toward Iraq were therefore illegal, and it has earned us contempt of the world. As a result of what we did in Iraq, our president is the most despised and reviled leader in the history of the USA, or I sure can't think of another held in higher contempt.

There was no reason to invade Iraq. The basis of the invasion was a lie. There were no WMD. Saddam wasn't a threat to anybody. He had been defanged and he was fully contained. That made it unnecessary.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:16 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Great idea, Craven!

It's not a new one though. I've tried it dozens of times and it never once started off as well as this one. This is why I am asking people to try to keep it going this way. It'll delve into usual politics discussions soon enough. Let's keep the idea alive until it actually goes under.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:18 pm
Note to Craven: I won't name names here, but there are some who do utilize your favored means of conducting debate and argue passionately the very points I made, but I will concur with your opinion of the arguments and try to do better here. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:25 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Sudan has been in a civil war for a number of years. MILLIONS have died as a result and genocide is a very real possibility. This doesn't offer enough incentive or clout for an invasion?! Shocked Israel and Palestine have been trading murders for decades. Untold numbers of casualties have occured and this doesn't generate enough political capital to motivate the american people?! But, Saddam MIGHT (with no history of doing so) support al Qaeda so we invade Iraq?!

Well, I must say that I did not assert that those were not worthy of intervention. Just that their worthiness does not change whether or not Iraq was worthy except in an evaluation of our capacity to act.

Quote:
Which compatriots? England? they already had their chance in the Middle East. The rest of the coalition are there as mere decorations. It's like "Look! We have support!" but it is merely a token gesture for the most part.

No, compatriots means fellow citizens so I mean Americans.

I think Saddam was an easy sell but it's harder to sell them on places and people they do not even know the names of.

Every American could picture Saddam and knew of Iraq, few can name North Korea's leader and even fewer can picture his face.

So I think Iraq posed a unique situation in that the infamy of Saddam made it an easy sell domestically and made it easier to generate political capital for.

Quote:
If we want the UN to be able to handle these situations in the future, we must stop undercutting them. We can't act unilaterally and later claim to be the victim when the UN fails to support us.

While I agree, I am not sure it is an either or. I do think we need to continue to help the UN evolve to the point where it can serve as a mechanism to handle this kind of thing but perhaps Iraq presented a unique opportunity that needed to be seized and would not cause enough damage to the UN that we couldn't try to patch things up afterwards.

Aside: McG, take a feekin' bow. You are doing better than I could have imagined anyone doing in this thread (including myself).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:29 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I, personally, do not mind if our leaders have to lie, or break international treaties, or throw away the concept of universal human rights, as long as the purpose that they set out to accomplish is accomplished, and it makes me and my family feel safer.

This is not the America I was born and raised in. My america is part of an international alliance called the UN. We trust that our leaders will abide by the laws that our founding fathers wisely set out for us. Defense of America should not come at the expense of the very freedoms and laws that make it what it is. america is a great country because our leaders DON'T act as you have outlined above.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
All those who oppose the Iraq war seem to think things would be better if Saddam was still in power. They wouldn't.

That's not true at all. Saddam was a ruthless dictator who flaunted the resolutions the UN gave him. BUT, sticking your toungue out and razzing the UN is not a reason for war. There were many diplomatic avenues that could have been explored before invasion. Number one was giving the UN more time to get Saddam to come to terms before invasion. Once we had our forces in the region, Saddam was very cooperative. I think had we waited 2-3 months (after getting the UN to agree to paying us for having our troops there) we could have gotten Hussein out of Iraq without bloodshed, but we will never know.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
While I respect the UN as an organization I believe that they are too slow to react to breaking events. Iraq posed an immediate threat to the rest of the world, Saddam was a butcher, and we went in and cleaned house. Easy as pie.

Iraq posed an immediate threat to no one. we didn't clean house and it hasn't been as easy as pie.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Nowdays you hear nothing but complain, complain, complain from those who oppose the war. I just want to hear something positive out of the liberals for once. A recognition of the sacrifices made by brave Americans in the name of freedom, after all, THEY didn't decide to start this war and to denigrate them would be terrible. Are there some civilian casualties? Well, of course, do you believe that war goes on in a vacuum? You have to break some eggs to make an omlette, as bad as that sounds.

We can no longer sit back and be the America of old. We have power; we've let the rest of the world do and say as they please for a long time, and that wasn't a bad thing when they weren't blowing up our buildings. Now that they have started, the easiest solution to getting rid of terrorism is to round up all the terrorists, and kill those who we can't capture alive. Governments that support these terrorist organizations (such as Iraql, which we have mounds of evidence for) are out too, and they'd better realize that quick.

If the goal was to be rid of terrorists, why are we in Iraq? It seems that all we have done is create a beacon inviting terrorist groups to come to Iraq and recruit new members. Iraq was not, and has no history of terror activities. They had a recognizable army, they followed the rules, maybe not to our liking, but they followed the rules. the invasion of Iraq was based on the single fallacy that they MIGHT be a threat and that they MIGHT supply WMD's to terror organizations. even though there is ZERO evidence to support these claims.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Time will tell whether or not our actions were justified. It is better to support the nation now, and our president, even though I do not neccessarily agree with all of his opinions, than it is to criticize constantly and whine about how bad things are.

In closing, God Bless America and G.W.!

Cycloptichorn

I think time has already told us that it was a bad move. It is possible to support our government and still disagree with it. Above all things, I am an American. I feel that we have misused our resources, money and lives in an endeavor that could have gone a completely different direction with far greater results.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:39 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
In my opinion we are part of the UN and should rely on the ruling of that august body for policy decisions that affect the whole.

But some of our internal decisions affect the world much more so than our invasions would.

For example, a change in our internal economic policy can affect the world more than invading Iraq.

Do you mean to assert that even those decisions should be made at the discretion of the UN?

Quote:
If every nation that gets pissed at somebody else goes off willy nilly to initiate hostilities, what use is there for a UN anyway?

Well the UN has a long and sucessful history with dispute resolutions, humanitarian interventions and promotion of global standards of civility.

But that doesn't mean no dispute will ever make it to fistcuffs.

I do not agree that one war against the wishes of the UN's majority undermines the entire purpose of the UN to a degree that outweighs the benefits.

We can try to make up for the damage after the war.

Quote:
Our actions toward Iraq were therefore illegal, and it has earned us contempt of the world.

It was illegal only in very ambiguous terms. Yes, the legal precedent for pre-emption does not seem to fit this case. And yes, pre-emption of a military threat on us is the only current "legal" invasion.

But at present this is based on very non-standard legal codes and pretty much relies entirely on the UN charter.

Until international law is solidified I think this is a reasonable risk to atke for its benefits. Sure it may undermine principles and laws that are nice, but they are not yet fully in place and this was as good a time as any to get away with a non-standard intervention because soon this might not be as easy.

While I agree with the standards of international conduct that were undermined I think the benefits outweigh the negatives and we can always forward those principles after the war.

I guess I'm saying that this was a unique case, with a unique window to act in a throw-back style.

Quote:
As a result of what we did in Iraq, our president is the most despised and reviled leader in the history of the USA, or I sure can't think of another held in higher contempt.

Neither can I, but this is an appeal to popularity unless it can be shown to have negative consequences beyond mere opinion.

I know there are some negative consequences, and that makes this point have meaning but I think you need to flesh out what they are.

The negative opinion, in and of itself, doesn't make it a wrong decision. Maybe the negative opinions can bring negative consequences that make the choice unwise but unless you can illustrate that it's just an appeal to popularity.

Quote:
There was no reason to invade Iraq.

None at all? Are you sure this isn't empty rhetoric? I can think of many reasons, some good some bad. Maybe you mean none that you consider to be a good reason?

Quote:
The basis of the invasion was a lie. There were no WMD.

I might concede that WMD and threat was the basis and that it was at least misleading and at worst a lie, but I am unconvinced that this renders other reasons, such as advancement of democracy, insufficient.

Quote:
Saddam wasn't a threat to anybody. He had been defanged and he was fully contained. That made it unnecessary.

He might not have posed a threat outside of his country but he was still looming large within his borders. He still was an impediment to the type of society we both (probably, dunno what character you are playing ;-) ) consider to be ideal.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:40 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I think Saddam was an easy sell but it's harder to sell them on places and people they do not even know the names of.

Every American could picture Saddam and knew of Iraq, few can name North Korea's leader and even fewer can picture his face.

So I think Iraq posed a unique situation in that the infamy of Saddam made it an easy sell domestically and made it easier to generate political capital for.

So, the reason we invaded Iraq is because Americans don't like Saddam?!

What kind of foreign policy is that? Confused

We are in what could be argued as WWIII, and we invaded Iraq because Saddam was an evil figure head? Please tell me that you have a better explanation than this! Tell me that you have proof of Saddam selling Osama a nuke or even a mason jar of mold! Something other than "Saddam was an easy sell"

Craven de Kere wrote:
Quote:

While I agree, I am not sure it is an either or. I do think we need to continue to help the UN evolve to the point where it can serve as a mechanism to handle this kind of thing but perhaps Iraq presented a unique opportunity that needed to be seized and would not cause enough damage to the UN that we couldn't try to patch things up afterwards.

The UN depends on teh US to be the majority of it's security force. We have removed that faith in US support by our actions in Iraq. We have weakened an already weak organization. The UN may not recover from this. Do we really want that on our shoulders as well?

aside: Thanks Craven! I am just remembering all the stuff I have read in yours and others posts.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:44 pm
McG, I am truly impressed at how good at this you are. Seriously.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:45 pm
McGentrix wrote:

So, the reason we invaded Iraq is because Americans don't like Saddam?!

No, that's the reason we invade Iraq as opposed to interventions elsewhere.

The humanitarian reasons and democratic ideal are the reason, his upoularity makes for a situation in which the intervention is possible.

Without the political capital for the invasion it's not possible in a democracy. I think Iraq posed a unique situation in that Saddam's notoriety made for a situation in which achieving enough political capital was possible.

The window of opportunity includes 9/11. We Americans are good people but we sometimes shy from doing the right thing abroad because of the anger that some of our moves (and especially our mistakes) generates.

I think that the cause was just for humanitarian reasons and Saddam's standing in America coupled with the 9/11 window gave us a unique opportunity to actually do something about it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:47 pm
Acquiunck writes:
Quote:
This is basically a panglossian argument. In the best of all possible worlds that might work, but al Qaeda represents a rejection of modernism. It feeds off the social discontent fostered in part by despotic regimes such as Hussain's which it claims modernism creates. Removal of this regime and it replacement by a free and democratic Iraq challenges the basic argument of groups like al Qaeda; that reform is possible only by rejecting modernism and returning to a fundamentalist Islamic society. Regimes such as Saddams are as much the cause of al Qaeda as is the presence of western forces in the middle east. We are unlikely to roundup al Qaeda anytime soon. But the removal of those elements that create al Qaeda will leave it withering on the vine.

That is a rather Pollyanna-ish view don't you think Acquiunck. We are dealing with not one small group of terrorists but with a global network of loosely isolated bodies numbering in the hundreds of thousands. These people are as fervent and passionate in their beliefs as we are, and it is the very missionary style meddling of the United States that has put them on guard and passionately committed to what they believe is defending themselves and their way of life.

The spectacle of the US giant squashing a small, insignificant, and virtually helpless nation like Iraq, the CNN reporter showing morter shells blowing into the sides of mosques and private homes, the spectacle of Abu Ghraib all fan those flames of passion. We couldn't have done a better job of creating more terrorists if we had put up recruiting posters.

Our best policy now is to extricate ourselves from the mess this administration has made, begin to rebuild the bridges we have burned. Lets make ourselves much less of a target.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:55 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I think that the cause was just for humanitarian reasons and Saddam's standing in America coupled with the 9/11 window gave us a unique opportunity to actually do something about it.

I do not believe that these are good enough reasons to invade a sovereign nation. Especially with the events happening around the world that require American military intervention.

We should be seeking terrorist hideouts, breaking up terror cells around the world, and keeping the world safe from international terrorism. I see the issue of another terro strike as being FAR MORE important than finally relieving Saddam of his duties as brutal dictator.

The Iraq war has done nothing to further the war on terror.

George Bush wrote:
On September the 11th, enemies of freedom committed an act of war against our country. Americans have known wars -- but for the past 136 years, they have been wars on foreign soil, except for one Sunday in 1941. Americans have known the casualties of war -- but not at the center of a great city on a peaceful morning. Americans have known surprise attacks -- but never before on thousands of civilians. All of this was brought upon us in a single day -- and night fell on a different world, a world where freedom itself is under attack.

Americans have many questions tonight. Americans are asking: Who attacked our country? The evidence we have gathered all points to a collection of loosely affiliated terrorist organizations known as al Qaeda. They are the same murderers indicted for bombing American embassies in Tanzania and Kenya, and responsible for bombing the USS Cole.

Al Qaeda is to terror what the mafia is to crime. But its goal is not making money; its goal is remaking the world -- and imposing its radical beliefs on people everywhere.

The terrorists practice a fringe form of Islamic extremism that has been rejected by Muslim scholars and the vast majority of Muslim clerics -- a fringe movement that perverts the peaceful teachings of Islam. The terrorists' directive commands them to kill Christians and Jews, to kill all Americans, and make no distinction among military and civilians, including women and children.

This group and its leader -- a person named Osama bin Laden -- are linked to many other organizations in different countries, including the Egyptian Islamic Jihad and the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan. There are thousands of these terrorists in more than 60 countries. They are recruited from their own nations and neighborhoods and brought to camps in places like Afghanistan, where they are trained in the tactics of terror. They are sent back to their homes or sent to hide in countries around the world to plot evil and destruction.

Link

Where in this speech does he mention Saddam Hussein as being a threat?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:58 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

I do not believe that these are good enough reasons to invade a sovereign nation. Especially with the events happening around the world that require American military intervention.

We should be seeking terrorist hideouts, breaking up terror cells around the world, and keeping the world safe from international terrorism. I see the issue of another terro strike as being FAR MORE important than finally relieving Saddam of his duties as brutal dictator.

The Iraq war has done nothing to further the war on terror.

McG, I think we have reached the point at which we have to agree to disagree in regard to the subjective valuejudgement of whether the goods outweight the bads.

Aside: and IMO that's how most political discussions should go, we ultimately just got down to a point at which reasonable people can disagree on a subjective issue.

That was fun! We should try this on different subjects.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:01 pm
aaaaww... We're done already?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:06 pm
Well, me 'n you seem to have boiled down to an impasse, we have no disagreements on any of the objective issues and disagree on a more nebulous accessment of worth.

At this point I think it's best to recognize a subjective difference of opinion because otherwise we'll just do reruns.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:08 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Our best policy now is to extricate ourselves from the mess this administration has made, begin to rebuild the bridges we have burned. Lets make ourselves much less of a target.

As Thomas Freidman said in a NYT article before the invasion, Iraq operates on the Pottery Barn Principle; "you break it you own it". We are now committed to Iraq and to leave now would send the wrong message and leave those parts of Iraqi society that have supported us at the mercy of terrorist and Saddam loyalists. The construction of a free and civil Iraqi society is the best counter argument to al Qaeda and its like minded allies.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:10 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Well, me 'n you seem to have boiled down to an impasse, we have no disagreements on any of the objective issues and disagree on a more nebulous accessment of worth.

At this point I think it's best to recognize a subjective difference of opinion because otherwise we'll just do reruns.

But we have pages and pages of the same thing here... I was kind of enjoying the other side...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:13 pm
Hey if others are interested we can do many other of these topics. Honestly, I think this gimmick has wrought the best level of debate we see on the politics boards.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:40 pm
I think you guys have it far too easy.
0 Replies