Tell me this is a joke, Brits

Eva

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:49 pm
I guess the couple here has made a concession for the American palate. No turnips...carrots & onions instead. They only make beef or chicken. They're thinking about adding a vegetarian one, though. They're really good, especially in cold weather. Very filling.

We found very good pasties in the Pacific Northwest a couple of years ago. Victoria, BC has authentic British food, and some of it has traveled across the Sound to Seattle.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:55 pm
Walter--

The trouble with traditional peasant cooking is that traditional peasants are usually short of money and time and tend to be economical and hasty cooks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:56 pm
Agreed :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 02:10 pm
Cornish pasties are made by a local church in Wilkes barre pa. I believe the sodality of the church makes these things according to an old recipe thats been around since the days of the Molly maguires. The only thing is that the church is a polish Catholic Church and theres very little underground mining in wilkes Barre anymore. Its a local lunch staple , so now the bars that serve food will, every Tuesday, have a big pasty luncheon . wITH PIVO
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:24 am
They no longer cook peasants in Cornwall. There aren't any left.

But the pasties are good. And warm ones much favoured by strippers, for obvious reasons.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:13 am
I've read this thread with much mirth but on a serious note it says on the link Walter provided that "the Doody family are playing their part in the quest to raise the profile of a forgotten Brit dish-faggots.

It must be pretty well forgotten because I'm the wrong side of 50 and I've never heard of it.

I thought Mr Brains was Stephen Hawking.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:22 am
I'm not only on the wrong side of 50, too, but also from overseas, ehem, Europe, a foreigner, I mean. But I know it :wink: By experience Sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:49 am
I'm on the wrong side of 50, too, but only for a few months. My 50th birthday is in October. I can't wait! Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:10 am
Equus wrote:
In Minnesota and Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan they have a junk food called "pasties" (NOT PASTRIES), which I believe are some sort of a meat pie. (In my part of the country, and I believe most other parts, "pasties' are tiny adhesive dots worn by strippers to conceal their nipples)
I was stunned when attending the U.P. Michigan fair in Escanaba to see a concession stand with a big sign advertising "Girl Scout Pasties".

When, last autumn, my Sweetiepie and i drove through the lower penninsula, and then through the UP to Wisconsin, i saw these signs everywhere. I chuckled to myself. However, as my Sweetiepie is a speaker of a foreign language, i didn't bring up the subject (not that i recall, at least). I also noted that local varieties of smoked and jerked meat were quite popular, as well. We pulled off at a filling station about half-way north in the lower penn., and they had some really wonderful beef jerky, which i sadly could not find elsewhere. I avoided, however buying any pasties, as they reminded me too much of the very heavy pastry available on the other side of the pond--steak and kidney pie. I ate one of those--once.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 10:28 am
Eva wrote:
I'm on the wrong side of 50, too, but only for a few months. My 50th birthday is in October. I can't wait! Smile

Seeing it from that site :wink: , I'm on the right site - can't really remember when my 50th was Laughing
0 Replies