Tell me this is a joke, Brits

Equus

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:53 pm
I thought a faggot was a cigarette? (Or a log for the fireplace)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 06:09 pm
"How many can you handle?"????

This might not be ALL joke, but someone's tongue is lodged rather firmly in cheek, I think...
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:57 am
OK

I can confirm that faggots really do exist in gravy - there are some people who can't get through a day without a faggot inside them.

Brain's faggots are a joke here, too, but are still available in shops - most popular in NW England, I think.

Equus - faggots are also bundles of small logs for the fire but cigarettes are simply "fags", not faggots.

If you're a smoker, don't think you've made the wrong impression if someone approaches you and asks if they can "bum a fag"...they just want one of your Marlboro's!

KP
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:01 am
NW England? I thought that was Ulster. Laughing
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:54 am
Without checking an etymological dictionary, I believe that a 'faggot' was used to describe something that was an 'inferior/cheaper' version. Hence the bundles of thin sticks were inferior/cheaper cf. proper logs, cigarettes were inferior/cheaper to cigars, and faggots are inferior to eg. pork chops or steaks.

And presumably that's where 'fag' came into being as a derogatory term for homosexuals, implying that they are inferior to hetrosexuals in some ways. Which I don't believe to be true, btw.

And no, I've never eaten one, but can confirm that they do exist. They come from the same region of England that claims to have invented black pudding (cooked pigs blood & wheat). Which is actually very tasty.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:01 am
Pork faggots in black pudding with a hot toddy...stop it! You Brits are killing me! Laughing
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:11 am
No joke. Some take this offally serious.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:15 am
Good one Steve. Smile
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:12 am
Just to confirm, my British co-worker vouched for everything on that website as totally true. Mr. Brain's faggots have been famous for years, and national faggot week and the faggot family along with their favorite faggots are all real.

But Methuselah strike me sideways that was the funniest website I've ever seen in my life. Very Happy
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:14 am
He also said "faggot" has the same double meaning over there, but that most people are too stubborn to acknowledge the humor since the food faggot came first... He was laughing his ass off too, though!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:16 am
I should mention, this is also one of the funniest threads I've started here.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:32 am
This is an interesting example of how languages change. That web site would probably get the company into trouble in the US, as most people now know only one meaning for the word, all other possibilities having become archaic.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:35 am
Mezzie

You dont look well. What you need is a good nourishing and tasty dish of Mr Brain's...

Or perhaps you've been eating them already.

Faggot = homosexual isnt used much in Britain. There are a variety of words some more offensive than others, but the American meaning of the word is something of an import, probably through films and tv.

Faggot = food has been around a long time. Too long perhaps
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:11 am
I know I know... unfortunately the last time I had faggots I had gas for a week...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:52 am
Acquiunk wrote:
This is an interesting example of how languages change. That web site would probably get the company into trouble in the US, as most people now know only one meaning for the word, all other possibilities having become archaic.

Indeed. I found it interesting that the site was actually blocked from Gautam's network.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 12:00 pm
In Minnesota and Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan they have a junk food called "pasties" (NOT PASTRIES), which I believe are some sort of a meat pie. (In my part of the country, and I believe most other parts, "pasties' are tiny adhesive dots worn by strippers to conceal their nipples)
I was stunned when attending the U.P. Michigan fair in Escanaba to see a concession stand with a big sign advertising "Girl Scout Pasties".
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 12:14 pm
Equus, the food is pronounced "pass-tees," unlike the nipple coverings which are pronounced "pays-tees."

Pasties are British meat pies. The ones we get here are made locally by a family from Cornwall and are delicious. I'm sure cavfancier can fill you in, as can any of our UK members.

I agree, though...in the US, that sign would be a real shocker!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 12:48 pm
Pastry is to pâté like faggot to andouille.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:34 pm
When I lived in Cornwall (St. Ives) every bakery in town had an individual version of a Cornish Pastie--and they were delicious. Supposedly this meat turnover was invented as a portable lunch for local miners. The joke had it that a good pastie could be dropped down a mine shaft without crumbling to pieces.

The traditional pastie filling is beef, potatoes, neeps (turnips) and peas.

Locally, in the Pocono's, Mr. Pastie offers a variety of pasties: Beef, chicken, turkey, seafood, spinach and cheese, corned beef, ham....

None of these pasties--while very good in their way--include turnips. Therefore they are American, not Cornish.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:47 pm
Noddy, ehem - look here

The Cornish Pasty in Cornwall (... and believe me: in the 60's, pastie had the very same incredients as described on this site .... and what made me dislike them :wink: ).
0 Replies