College - more money, or more anxiety?

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 04:42 pm
So... I'm taking 12 credits, and because I'm doing this, I get a scholarship that fully covers me (obviously more goes into receiving it, but that's not part of my question), however... It is very overwhelming with all of the work to a point where I am unable to keep up. I think it's important to also note that I have very high anxiety as well, and have skipped a couple of classes already. So, what I was planning was to drop a class, which inevitably drop my scholarship, meaning I would pay about 6-7 thousand dollars. My question is... Is it really worth it to drop.

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 04:53 pm
@MagicHats,
Nope, it's not worth it to drop.

I'm sorry you've got such stress, but saddling yourself with a $7,000 debt isn't going to help your anxiety level one whit. Plus you'll graduate later - and college costs go up pretty much every year. Your dropped 4 credits, at $7,000 today, might be closer to $9,000 in a few years (I don't know which year you are supposed to be graduating).

Talk to your advisor and your professors, and come up with a plan together. You want to stay in school. You want to retain your scholarship. But it is difficult for you. Give them the chance to help you now.
alip250

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 06:20 am
@jespah,
from my experience it is really bad idea to give up.
you have to try your best.if you drop it'll harm your scholarship,its a simple equation.is it the consolation if you asked yourself?
so give it a last best try.
otherwise you wont forgive yourself later as i am.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 09:04 am
@MagicHats,
Are you getting any counseling for your anxiety? It could be the anxiety is the issue at the moment.

Anxiety impedes study and retention needs an uncluttered relaxed mind. I'd work on the anxiety and get caught up on the homework and classes you missed. Don't let anxiety and worry stand in the way of your progress. You could get passed this stage of things with some stress-management techniques and some self-belief.
0 Replies

LiveLoughLaugh24

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 11:40 pm
@MagicHats,
Nooooo! Don't do it just it....
Although I realize anxiety can feel overwhelming and it many cases it actually is, with the right tools and help you can get through this semester. Not to mention you have a wonderful opportunity (Scholarship) that I believe is worth keeping.
So here are a list of things, from personal experience, I would suggest you look into to help ease some of your anxiety this semester and help you stay on top of your game:

1. Counseling
I know it sounds cliche however a counselor may help you uncover some of the roots of your anxiety (if of course you haven't already done so) then, she will help guide you to finding individual ways of reducing your anxiety. Something that is unique to you and your particular anxiety.

2. Yoga or Exercise
Time and time again it has been proven that physical activity significantly lowers stress levels and produces a relaxed state of mind. Not to mention, all of the other amazing health benefits you'll reap from exercise.If you're short on time, a short 15 minute cardio first thing in the morning, a few days a week can work wonders for your body and mind.

3. Balance
Take an honest good look at your whole life right now. Perhaps school is indeed over whelming at this time. Are there other areas of your life that you are able to cut back on that way you can have more down time for your-self? ?If not, are you keeping up with the other areas of your life that make you feel good and happy?Balance is key here. Too much of any-thing, healthy or not can be bad for you. Although it's probably too late to say that for the semester, it may not be too late to look at other areas of your life that adjusting a tad may help to ease some school anxiety right now.

4. Gratitude
How wonderful it is to have a scholarship you didn't have to pay absolutely nothing for. It's FREE. Heck, this whole semester is FREE. Now that is amazing. That means thousands of dollars less you'll be paying back in loans in the future which equals more money in your pocket. Some-thing I am sure your future self will be thank full for.

5. Nutrition
Watch what you eat. Some foods can provoke if not worsen the anxiety you already feel. Sugary foods are among the most dangerous. Try to stick to healthy, low carb, sugar free, high veggie, and balanced mean plan.

If all else fails, then perhaps the best thing to do for your self is to drop the class. I'd strongly advice you to think carefully about it. Smile

Good luck and I hope it works out for you!
0 Replies

donna downing

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 06:48 am
@MagicHats,
Hey

Honestly only you can answer your question. You just have to weigh in your choices. If you can't keep up with the studies and it is burning you out then think of what it may do to your health. How much will it cost if you fail the subjects and get sick in the process.

The best thing you can do is to create a plan wherein you can cope up with your situation. Find a win-win scenario. You will be able to pass without burning out. Then on how you can achieve that. Discipline, organization, and hard-work are necessary. Also ask for the support frm your family and friends. And don't forget about your anxiety treatments.
0 Replies