Say something original

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm
The intro is provocative and challenging, but the intent of the thread is to explore the balance between original ideas/thoughts/statements and repeated ideas/thoughts/statements.

In daily life, how often do you think or say something original, compared to how often you are repeating something already learned?

And of the flow of information in human society, how much of it is new and original, and how much of it is repeated and repackaged.

Has this question been asked before? Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,756 • Replies: 62
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:57 pm
I don't really believe in originality as a concept. Even the greatest achievements are built on the concept of others. Unique interpretation, with the occasional mental leap of genius is as close as we get, I think. That's what I would call innovation, but not originality.

Now, my personal favourite question regarding this topic is what was the first thought? That could possibly be the one 'original' thought. My guess is that it probably had something to do with hunger, sex, or bodily functions.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:20 pm
Today I had lunch with two old friend from college (Class of '60). Ms. "A" I see frequently. Her conversation is a series of well-crafted, well-worn speeches. She tends to repeat herself. Ms. "B" reads several magazines, visits the library every week and is fond of speculating on the human condition--with footnotes.

I feel more of a kindred spirit with Ms. "B". We don't invent anything as significent as the wheel or Jungian theory or robotic lore, but this old world is full of new experiences to explore and we do our best.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:27 pm
Quote:
In daily life, how often do you think or say something original, compared to how often you are repeating something already learned?

Never. Used to be a goal; not now. I'm content treading well-worn paths. Other people have thought up some damned fascinating things.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:27 pm
I have long resigned myself to the fact that I am basically, a deductive thinker. I am great at taking ideas, digesting them, and coming up with my own conclusions. I am definitely not an original thinker, but I can do some pretty neat things with other people's ideas!
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:47 pm
I have never said an original thing in my life. Every time I think I do - a little research proves me wrong.

I don't think humans are capable of it. Art seeks to duplicate or atleast extrapolate from nature - philosophy seeks to figure out nature... I think we discover - not invent. Perhaps our only strength is that we can abstact and extraplolate to reorganize - but this is not originality in the true sense of the word.

TF

"Many a man fails as an original thinker simply because his memory is too good." - Nietzche
0 Replies

Aurora

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 05:27 pm
My first reaction to the name of this thread was to respond by saying "I am unoriginal". But, it looks like several people have beat me to it! I really think that originality is a concept much the same as utopia.

Shannon

Edit: I also wanted to say that I love your quote, thethinktank. So true.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:50 am
a chair of bowlies
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:08 am
something original
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:44 pm
I posed this question to my Intro class. They came up with this distinction:

1) Unless you are original in every way you cannot be truly original. So a spear is simply a rock and a stick - a new sentence (like a chair of bowlies - unless it is simply a spoonerism for a bowl of cherries) is simply the arangement of an already existing language. If thought is its own language then even then a new thought is simply a slight alteration to an existing structure.

2) However, original could be the new application to old structures - thus the spear and the sentence are a new application of existing things.

Thought I would share.

TF
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:16 pm
But every time a different person thinks the same though, the thought is reapplied depending on the person. So either everything is original or nothing is.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:46 pm
Everything is original in terms of its presence in time and place, and material composition.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 08:58 am
Suppose you find something broken in the house, but you realize that by rearranging the pieces of the structure and adding some duct tape and screws that you can repair and improve the structure. Is this an Original thought? The situation and component pieces of the structure are relatively unique, as may be the solution.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:01 am
Taxonomy necessitates arbitrary distinctions. So, too, I suppose, does the application of the vague term "original."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:02 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
1) Unless you are original in every way you cannot be truly original. So a spear is simply a rock and a stick - a new sentence (like a chair of bowlies - unless it is simply a spoonerism for a bowl of cherries) is simply the arangement of an already existing language. If thought is its own language then even then a new thought is simply a slight alteration to an existing structure.

You make some interesting points.

But isn't the structural change itself original, when done intentionally? A spear is more than just a rock and a stick, just as a dandilion is more than an arrangement of mollecules.

thethinkfactory wrote:
2) However, original could be the new application to old structures - thus the spear and the sentence are a new application of existing things.

Yes, I guess this was my point.

How often do we "create" new ideas vs repeating old ones?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:04 am
patiodog wrote:
Taxonomy necessitates arbitrary distinctions. So, too, I suppose, does the application of the vague term "original."

Ha, I was thinking this as well (we destroyed each others originality Smile )

So many discussions of this type seem to come down to definitions.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:09 am
Quote:
But isn't the structural change itself original, when done intentionally?

There's an interesting question: is originality really a question of application?

(Not the first time this issue's been brought up in the thread, I realize.)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:10 am
When a new song is written, is it "original"?

When General Relativity was described, was the understanding "original"?

When man first lands on the moon, is it "original"?

I guess I need to refine my definition of original. Here's what I have to work with... I guess I'm using adj definition numbers #2 and #3 primarily.

Websters:

o·rig·i·nal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-rj-nl)
adj.

1. Preceding all others in time; first.
2. Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an adaptation.
3. Showing a marked departure from previous practice; new: a truly original approach. See
4. Productive of new things or new ideas; inventive: an original mind.
5. Being the source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made.

n.
1. A first form from which other forms are made or developed: Later models of the car retained many features of the original.

2. An authentic work of art: bought an original, not a print.
3. Work that has been composed firsthand: kept the original but sent a photocopy to his publisher.
4. A person who is appealingly odd or curious; a character.

Archaic. The source from which something arises; an originator.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:12 am
(Removed: accidental duplicate)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:16 am
Quote:
2. Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an adaptation.

By this definition, most of Shakespeare's plays are unoriginal. But I would be inclined to contend that in structure, theme, combination of disparate elements, and sheer brilliance of language he's one of the most original writers in the English language. How to reconcile?
0 Replies