Panel Says Iraq Rebuffed Bin Laden

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 08:58 am
I can almost hear the Bush supporters moaning, "say it isn't so". The big lie has been exposed.

Jun 16, 10:32 AM EDT
9/11 Panel Says Iraq Rebuffed Bin Laden By HOPE YEN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bluntly contradicting the Bush administration, the commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks reported Wednesday there was "no credible evidence" that Saddam Hussein helped al-Qaida target the United States.
In a chilling report that sketched the history of Osama bin Laden's network, the commission said his far-flung training camps were "apparently quite good." Terrorist trainees were encouraged to "think creatively about ways to commit mass murder," it added.
Bin Laden made overtures to Saddam for assistance, the commission said in a staff report, as he did with leaders in Sudan, Iran, Afghanistan and elsewhere as he sought to build an Islamic army.
While Saddam dispatched a senior Iraqi intelligence official to Sudan to meet with bin Laden in 1994, the commission said it had not turned up evidence of a "collaborative relationship."
The Bush administration has long claimed links between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida, and cited them as one reason for last year's invasion of Iraq.
On Monday, Vice President Dick Cheney said in a speech that the Iraqi dictator "had long established ties with al-Qaida."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,575 • Replies: 35
No top replies

revel

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:06 am
I don't know, it kind of opens the doors the other way just on the fact that there was contact at all between Bin Laden and Saddam. Why would the committee say that Saddam rebuffed Bin Ladden if he sent an official to meet with Bin Laden. What happened at that meeting?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:10 am
So why did they meet? To exchange stew recipes?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:14 am
Brand X wrote:
So why did they meet? To exchange stew recipes?

Most certainly. Rumsfeld did the same at his meeting with Saddam.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:15 am
Surprise, surprise. Rolling Eyes The lemmings still refuse to believe.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:15 am
Good to know you're still following the Cheney line, Brand X. That's somehow reassuring...and utterly predictable.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:19 am
au1929 wrote:

I'm not saying that Saddam was connected to 9/11.

I don't doubt that Saddam would have helped AQ in some way at some time.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:20 am
au1929 wrote:

you expected different?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:24 am
Two down, one to go. Prosecuting Sadaam. The adventure continues.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:30 am
Are you referring to the conservatives on A2K, none of which have ever said that Saddam had something to do with 9/11 as the "lemmings"?

While I can't speak for everyone, the general consensus is that Saddam supports terrorism. Whether or not he supported Osama directly in perpetrating 9/11 or not is immaterial.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:40 am
Quote:
While I can't speak for everyone, the general consensus is that Saddam supports terrorism. Whether or not he supported Osama directly in perpetrating 9/11 or not is immaterial

Hmm. Can you provide ANY supporting evidence of this 'general consensus?'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:41 am
Yeah, read through the archives of A2K. It's all there.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:43 am
McGentrix
But several have echoed what Cheney was spouting. Saddam was in "cahoots"with Bin Laden. And that my friend is a bold faced lie.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:03 am
McGentrix wrote:
Are you referring to the conservatives on A2K, none of which have ever said that Saddam had something to do with 9/11 as the "lemmings"?

While I can't speak for everyone, the general consensus is that Saddam supports terrorism. Whether or not he supported Osama directly in perpetrating 9/11 or not is immaterial.

except of course the fact that it's one of the tools they used to sell the invasion.......

the only thing material is that bushinc wanted to invade and you fans of bushinc will back anything they say or do....period.

The Republicans morph into the Stepfordians...it's the blockbuster hit of the year...or the last four for that matter...... Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:04 am
McG Said:
Quote:

But, in an earlier post, McG said:
Quote:
Neither of these statements have been proven false, much less as proven lies. Saddam had WMD's, he's used WMD's, it is known that not of his WMD's are accounted for. Evidence for the Al Qaeda link is still coming, keep an eye on the news. I believe Cheney just recently made a statement about the Iraq Al Qaeda connection.

[URL=Link]http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26420&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30[/URL]

Guess what? Evidence for the Al Qaeda link isn't coming. Cheney's statement, once again, flies in the face of all known evidence.

You sure were making a strong case for the ties before this, now you said noone ever said there were Al Qaeda ties in Iraq. Which one is it? Get your story straight. I ask you to provide evidence of a 'general consensus,' when the fact is, there IS no evidence to support that fact. Until you can provide it, there IS no 'general consensus,' and you are flat out wrong.

Are you going to resort to telling me to kiss your hairy white ass again? Or would you care to respond intelligently, and provide some evidence to back up your claims for once?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:07 am
easy bud, you'll get the thread locked up.....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:42 am
Yes, the link showing Saddam and Al Qaeda is coming.

All known evidence? that's BS. This report says that Saddam had nothing to do with helping Osama plan 9/11. THAT'S IT! It says nothing about Saddam supporting terrorism, it says nothing about Saddam supporting Al Qaeda, and if you haven't noticed, Al Qaeda is NOT the only terror organization in the world.

You can look through the threads just as I can. Maybe someone else can give you a quick tutorial and how to use the search feature. The consensus I was speaking of was of the conservatives that frequent this board. Why not step away from your ivory tower and join us mortals in the search for truth? you may find it educational.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:45 am
I just find it curious is all that Bin Laden made an effort to enlist Saddam and Saddam sent someone over to Sudan to meet with him. That is news to me. Not evidence of any connection between 9/11 or even that Saddam has ties to terrorist, but curious all the same.

Does anyone know what happened after the meeting? If any kind of decision was made or action taken? Did Saddam decide that Bin Ladden and his ilk would take away too much power from his hold on Iraqis and he decided not to follow through on it or do we just know that a meet took place then absolutely nothing came of it?

Why would this not this be a big deal? I mean this is not militants acting out on their own who happen to have ties to terrorist but a link between Saddam and Bin Laden when before there was no link at all.

Why haven't we heard about this before now? I mean we have heard about everything else in connection with Iraq and al queda or bin Laden, you would think this would have been mentioned by someone other than the 9/11 commission. It might of made a difference in how people felt about the war. I guess the administration didn't even know about it. Gosh they are completely inept.

Tomorrow they are going to have hearings about what we now know concerning how Bin Laden wanted the attacks to place in April or May but was delayed until September because that guy who carried it out wasn't ready yet. I am not sure what difference this make other than the fact that it seems like the administration and the CIA and all those three letter abrevation groups don't know squat and are just whistling in the dark.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:53 am
Rule number one for Bush. When things go sourer blame someone else

This is from CNN Link

"The report contradicts statements from the Bush administration that Saddam Hussein had ties to al Qaeda."
"In response, a senior administration official traveling with President Bush in Tampa, Florida, said, "We stand by what Powell and Tenet have said," referring to previous statements by Secretary of State Colin Powell and CIA Director George Tenet that described such links".
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:56 am
Quote:
Tomorrow they are going to have hearings about what we now know concerning how Bin Laden wanted the attacks to place in April or May but was delayed until September because that guy who carried it out wasn't ready yet. I am not sure what difference this make other than the fact that it seems like the administration and the CIA and all those three letter abbreviation groups don't know squat and are just whistling in the dark.

That was then, the administration has plugged up the holes with a new and better inept organization called "Homeland Security." Whose main function seems to be the issuance of bulletins warning of impending doom. Doesn't that make you feel more secure?
0 Replies