gollum

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 04:42 pm
I saw a TV advertisement soliciting $19 a month (I think) for an organization called Wounded Warriors. The beneficiaries are U.S. armed forces. The ad claimed these veterans are badly in need of this help.

Is the V.A. supposed to provide such aid? Is this a scam?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,355 • Replies: 50

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 04:43 pm
@gollum,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Warrior_Project

Quote:

Charity ratings[edit]
The Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance has accredited WWP as meeting the 20 standards for charity accountability.[25] According to Charity Navigator, WWP allocates 55 percent of its revenue to program expenses and 44.8 percent to fundraising and administrative expenses.[26] WWP received a “D” rating from the American Institute of Philanthropy, C+ by Charity Watch, and "three out of four stars" from Charity Navigator.[27] Although WWP received a “D” rating from the American Institute of Philanthropy, partly due to the small amount of donations that go to wounded veterans, and the fact that the majority of money donated goes to fundraising, salaries, consulting and outside services, meetings and events, and travel. "Depending on the rater, the Wounded Warriors Project seems to have scored low (Charity Watch), high (BBB Wise Giving Alliance) or somewhere in the middle (Charity Navigator)."[27]

Controversies[edit]
In 2013, a new employee mistakenly declined to accept a donation from Liberty Baptist Church in Fort Pierce, Florida, and issued this inadvertent statement to the church leaders: "We must decline the opportunity to be the beneficiary of your event due to our fundraising event criteria, which doesn't allow community events to be religious in nature," read an email from the WWP community events team. "Please note your registration fee will be refunded within the next 7-10 business days." WWP said as a nonpartisan organization they cannot accept event fundraising from companies "in which the product or message is religious in nature." [28] Shortly after the church received this letter, a WWP spokesperson apologized and said that it was a miscommunication. [29]

The Wounded Warrior Project has recently filed a number of lawsuits against some smaller veteran organizations and several individual disabled veterans critical of their charitable operations:

- On 5/27/14, WWP filed a lawsuit against Dean Graham, a disabled veteran with PTSD, and his Help Indiana Vets, Inc. organization. [30] After a court ruling, Graham retracted the allegations he leveled against Wounded Warrior Project and folded his direct-aid non-profit.

- WWP filed a lawsuit in October 2014 seeking damages and court costs against a Blandon, Pennsylvania non-profit Keystone Wounded Warriors claiming there are confusing similarities between its logos and those of WWP. [31]

- After a reporter from The News Tribune informed disabled veteran Airman blogger Alex Graham (no relation to Dean) of a pending lawsuit against him, filed on behalf of the Wounded Warrior Project, he removed his articles critical of WWP's policies from the website Veterans Today. [32] Veterans Today posts articles from numerous writers representing many points of view and topics. They write, "All writers are fully independent and represent their own point of view and not necessarily the point of view of any other writer, administrator or entity." The Southern Poverty Law Center has characterized the Veterans Today site as "a website that purports to be a 'military veterans and foreign affairs journal' but is really a locus of the far right, is now squarely in neo-Nazi territory". [33] However, the American Civil Liberties Union Project on Speech, Privacy and Technology "...is currently working on a variety of issues, including political protest, freedom of expression online, privacy of electronic information, journalists’ rights, scientific freedom, and openness in the courts." to protect the rights of bloggers and other online speech. [34]
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 06:33 am
@Butrflynet,
Nice job!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 06:34 am
@gollum,
The VA has been very, very good to me.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 07:09 am
Am I missing something? How is this info on WWP a statement of the merits of the VA? Isn't this organization independent of VA?

BTW, I'm alive now because of how good VA hospital and medical facilities are.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 08:18 am
@Ragman,
Ragman - me too!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 08:19 am
@Butrflynet,
Seriously, good job of researching the WWP!
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 08:40 am
@Ragman,
Ragman-

I believe your statement is accurate.

I wrote my posting because I had thought the VA paid at least adequate benefits and I was not clear why this charity was stating that the veterans were in dire need.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 09:03 am
@gollum,
The VA would even be better if Congressional Teapublicans would leave it alone ans stop cutting budgets.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 12:05 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

The VA would even be better if Congressional Teapublicans would leave it alone ans stop cutting budgets.

After WWII, veterans got recognition, the GI bill, housing, paid college, ruptured duck ID pins, and unemployment money for a year, because the Democrats ruled and believed the constitution.

“We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

As you can see, the Constitution is all about we the people, not business, not congress, not balancing the budget, not the President – WE THE PEOPLE
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:19 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Ragman-

I believe your statement is accurate.

I wrote my posting because I had thought the VA paid at least adequate benefits and I was not clear why this charity was stating that the veterans were in dire need.

Now, when you speak of VA paying adequate benefits, you are probably speaking of disability payments. Note that ragman said:

Quote:
BTW, I'm alive now because of how good VA hospital and medical facilities are

You seem to be talking about cash payments while he is speaking of medical care. Not the same.

Regarding medical care, I have been consistently positive about everyone in the VA system directly involved in patient care. The same is not true of the various clerks and administrative people one must deal with. I do have to admit that even the worst of the male clerks call you Buddy, but that becomes somewhat meaningless considering how unhelpful they usually are.
Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:30 pm
@roger,
I know what you're saying there but generally that can vary according to the site location. some places are better than others. I've seen kindness at almost every single turn. Mercy sakes, has Tampa-St. Pete area (particularly Bay Pines) have the greatest amount of volunteers.

As a general rule, I've noticed the willingness to help but often the admin and the system (system software, admin protocol and practices) is/are not their strongest assets.

For example when they did a bone biopsy on me and I needed report from pathology, I had to wait 3 weeks because they had one single lab in California they had contracted. That was incredibly inefficient and unbearably long wait. That is a fault of the system administration and how they run the whole show. Thank you for nothing Wash DC. That fiscal tightfistedness is cruel and unusual punishment, IMHO.
roger

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:45 pm
@Ragman,
Could be. Each facility probably has its own corporate culture.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 05:22 pm
@Ragman,
Labs differ re what they can do (believe me), but I'm not sure there would likely be a swifter result from a closer lab, maybe it was an internal snaffoo. We never took three weeks. In the last lab I worked in, one work day once we got the specimen, plus result distribution. Possibly one more day for discussion. Back then, that result was by mail, pre computerization. But stuff takes a while to arrive when sent from half the globe away, which happened in our specialized lab.. even in the seventies.

I worked at the VA once in the '60's, sort of. UCLA and the very nearby VA worked together sometimes - at least I remember re one of our research papers. When I got the job of setting up a lab at ucla, the building was still in the construction process, so I was trained in a VA lab by a uc department person. Later loved the job.

A friend was an RN there, and I can only guess she was loved, how could patients not. She was wise at a young age.

My second serious boyfriend was an intern there (no, I met him at a bar in Manhattan Beach, a group of us female friends walking the beach, one with a leg cast that day, and stopping at a place for a beer). He developed into an excellent doctor, was already good back then.

My father and later my mother were buried in that VA cemetery. I could hear taps from my lab window, often did. I could probably join them if I still lived there, read something about that, but that's unlikely.

Anyway, I want the VA to work well, do well.
Nark Mobble

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 08:00 am
@roger,
Roger - I know that not all facilities and employees are equal in the VA system, but my experience with VA in Temple and Austin has been unequivocally good. I get good information in a timely manner from almost 100% of the technicians and when they they thank me for my service, I thank them for the excellent treatment they give me. Clerks have a tough job being the only person a vet can interact with in times that are stressful and uncertain. And they sometimes vent on the clerks. The vast majority of the time the clerks don't share their abuse from from frustrated vet with me. Its a tough job with special circumstances and for the most part I believe they handle it better than "civilian" clerks in a similar circumstance.

Va has saved my life. They went out and found my cancer when they could have waited until it was unignorable. The checkups are regular and not very pleasant. But I feel like they go out of their way to make it bearable and as possible. I get appointments quickly and my doctor and surgeons have called me at home personally to check up and answer questions.

VA is a model of single payer I'd like to see replace ACA and made universal.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 09:19 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
We never took three weeks

This lab is a large facility that deals with a massive amount of pathologies. That is why the delays.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 09:58 am
How many of you who use the VA, have service related injuries that you are being seen for? How many of you are using the VA as your primary healthcare for non-service related issues?
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 09:58 am
@Baldimo,
why do you ask?
Baldimo

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:36 am
@Ragman,
I have always wondered. I'll throw in an extra question. How many of you, who use the VA have retired from the military vs just did an enlistment time?
Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:53 am
@Baldimo,
I don't like where you're going with this.

I served my time. My cancer and other health ailments are NOT service- related. And., so what if they aren't? My VA benefits are warranted and earned. I qualify income-wise (low income)..and, as such, I deserve each and every benefit I receive. What do you know about who qualifies for care and who doesn't?

If you're sincerely concerned about Veteran's eligibility and qualifications, read about the qualifications, at this link:
http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/veterans.asp

Quote:
How many of you, who use the VA have retired from the military vs just did an enlistment time?

What difference does this make?

Furthermore, veterans who have retired from active duty (as opposed to enlisted and completed their tours), have additional privileges (base exchange privs at military bases) as well as priority medical treatment.