Is this a good reason to not want to delay my son's kindergarten entrance?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:37 pm
Get ready for the downside when friends his age invite him to their HS graduation parties, and he still has another year to go. Again when they come home from University at Christmas, telling of their exploits.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 12:05 am
@toughcookie,
I think you're nuts! You will be in for a lot of surprises and I sincerely hope, you won't let your son feel any disappointments you have in him. He's 5 years old and you're already talking high school graduation. Seems like you're one of these overbearing parents who can't cope with their children being average.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 12:11 am
@CalamityJane,
I expect the time between my kids K year and graduation from HS to account for 12% of my life. You act like it is in the faraway future not worth thinking about.

You have to know better, so why are you lying to this guy?

Enquiring minds would like to know.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 12:20 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Seems like you're one of these overbearing parents who can't cope with their children being average.

in point of fact we are talking about below average here, which is not an apples to apples comparison.
0 Replies

toughcookie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 12:25 am
@CalamityJane,
I'm fine with him being average, but he's a grade behind, he'll be below average.
toughcookie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 12:27 am
@chai2,
I don't want him to be crushed, but if he has to be, I'd rather he'd be crushed by older kids than older kids.
0 Replies

toughcookie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 12:33 am
@chai2,
My son likes meeting people of all ages. That's irrelevant though.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 12:41 am
@toughcookie,
toughcookie wrote:

I'm fine with him being average, but he's a grade behind, he'll be below average.

Maybe maybe not....but I will tell you that the main problem with my son being held back because of his reading right at the beginning of his school career that he was bored by grade 5. He spent the rest of his school career devoting a lot of time to his very active and successful social life because classes bored him to tears, the one skill of learning to read was hard for him but everything else was easy for him. Another point to consider in the " lets start him out behind the others" plan.
toughcookie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 03:01 am
@hawkeye10,
You just proved that sending him on time is right. Thank you.
0 Replies

toughcookie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 12:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thank you hawkeye10.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 12:53 pm
@toughcookie,
you are welcome, and good luck.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 09:37 pm
My daughter went to school with two boys in her grade that were always the top two academically in her elementary school, One was actually a year younger than the peers in his class, the other a year older. The older was held back in kindergarten because of his immaturity. The other was pushed ahead because of his academic strength ... the younger boy actually fit in better simply because he was more mature for his age. The older did not because of his maturity.

What you should focus on is what is better for your child and not get hung up on actual age. Think now about coworkers .. I would bet you have peers that are a year and more younger than you and those older. Do you even know the ages of your coworkers and how much does that year or two difference in age really matter?
0 Replies