Is this a good reason to not want to delay my son's kindergarten entrance?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 07:35 pm
@toughcookie,
To OP: you have more than half a year before school starts, which I point out is over 10% of his life to that point....it seems very early for anyone to tell you that he will not be ready. This is more reason to doubt the advise that you have been given, you should make use of this time and revisit the school issue come may or june.

Seriously, when you have a ten day project how often do you give up on day 9 because you decide that there is not enough time left to get the job done? Probably never.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I remeber finger painting,
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 07:52 pm
Quote:
So if kindergarten actually is harder than it used to be, should some children be held back? Some educators, like James Uphoff, Ed.D., the author of Real Facts From Real Schools (Modern Learning Press), believe that in many instances children can use an extra year to mature socially, physically, emotionally, and cognitively. "It's the gift of time," he says. This especially applies to boys with "late" birthdays. Fred Brown, former president of the National Association of Elementary School Principals, adds, "Generally, there is a developmental delay of at least six months between boys and girls, so a boy with a late birthday may be at even more of a disadvantage."

However, the NAEYC vigorously maintains that children should go to kindergarten when they are chronologically ready—that is, when they reach the age mandated by the local school district.

Dr. Willer explains: "Readiness is a two-way street. Schools should be ready for the child, and if all children began kindergarten on time, the acceleration would have to stop." The NAEYC believes that in the long run, a child gains nothing from an extra year, and Dr. Willer points out that holding a child back may deny him the experiences he needs to mature.

Ultimately, it's up to mothers and fathers to decide. What follows are parents' most frequently asked questions about kindergarten readiness, and answers from early childhood educators.

http://www.sesamestreet.org/parents/topics/development/development01

Damn right, and we need to be very mindful that in general educators have as a goal to make boys act as nice as girls do....it is very possible that a parent being told that their boy is not ready for kindergarten is not being told that there is anything wrong with the development of the boy but rather that the preschool has not yet had success in beating(figuratively) the boy out of the boy so they lobby for more time for the project.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 07:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

If you were a better person you would have ...

Well, obviously I'm not a better person, so I feel very comfortable leading with telling you to go **** yourself you disgusting pervert.

Yeah, I'll bet you loved having your kids around all day, and wanted to be around other underage children as your career.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 08:11 pm
Elementary School Bias Against Boys Sets Them Up For Failure: Study

Quote:
Academics from the University of Georgia and Columbia University think they have more insight into why girls earn higher grades on report cards than boys do, despite the fact that girls do not necessarily outperform boys on achievement or IQ tests.

Christopher Cornwell, head of economics at the University of Georgia's Terry College of Business, UGA's David Mustard and Columbia's Jessica Van Parys have published a study that they say shows "gender disparities in teacher grades start early and uniformly favor girls."

The researchers analyzed data from 5,800 elementary school students and found that boys performed better on standardized exams in math, reading and science than their course grades reflected. The authors suggest that girls are truly only outperforming boys in "non-cognitive approaches to learning" -- defined as attentiveness, task persistence, eagerness to learn, learning independence, flexibility and organization -- leading to better grades from teachers. The study is published in the latest issue of The Journal of Human Resources.

The study falls short of calling teachers sexist, but points to the fact that the majority of elementary educators are female, for the first time suggesting that a gender gap persists as a function of educators' behavioral perception of their students.

A study similar to Cornwell, et al.'s concluded in August 2011 that girls tended to earn higher GPAs, despite earning similar scores to boys on standardized exams, in part because they show more self-discipline.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/03/elementary-school-bias-boys_n_2404898.html

Quote:
For the past 20 years, the numbers of male teachers in elementary and middle school grades have stagnated at about 16 to 18 percent, according to MenTeach, an organization whose mission is to increase the number of males working with young children.

There were no statistics for grades K-3, but in 2011, the most recent year for which there are data, only slightly more than 2 percent of kindergarten and preschool teachers were male.

"The gap and discrepancy between girls' performance and boys' performance is growing ever more marked," said Massachusetts psychologist Michael Thompson, co-author of the groundbreaking 2000 book "Raising Cain," which argues that society shortchanges boys.

"There are lots of explanations for it," he said. "One is the nature of the elementary classroom. It's more feminized and it does turn boys off, perhaps because they are in trouble more or because the teaching style is more geared to girls' brains.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/men-teach-elementary-school/story?id=18784172

It is time for this society to own up to the fact that our schools have become hostile towards males, and that this is the primary reason why young males perform so poorly as adults.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 08:17 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

If you were a better person you would have ...

Well, obviously I'm not a better person, so I feel very comfortable leading with telling you to go **** yourself you disgusting pervert.

Yeah, I'll bet you loved having your kids around all day, and wanted to be around other underage children as your career.

Your emotional problems are no doubt very helpful to the parent who wants to talk about his son going to school.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 08:20 pm
What a pool.

I get some of the male gripes, and female gripes. And LGBT gripes.

From the bits I've read over the last few years, I see the LA school system as theater, fairly complicated theater.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 08:30 pm
Todays News:

Why schools are failing our boys
Quote:
One hundred and fifty years ago, my son would have been considered a model boy. Today, more often than not, he’s considered a troublemaker due to his failure (or inability?) to conform to the expectations of the modern educational system.

I understand that society today is much different than society in the 1800s. Most of that change is good; I applaud antibiotics and equality. I’m a big fan of the internet and indoor plumbing. But at the same time, I think our current approach to education fails to honor the needs of children, especially the needs of our boys.

Boys today aren’t fundamentally different than the boys of 150 years ago. Yet today, they’re confined to classrooms, expected to remain still for the majority of the day, and barely allowed to tackle meaningful labor or the real world until they reach the magical age of 18. Is it any wonder our boys are struggling?

Statistically speaking, boys now lag behind girls on every single academic measure; they also get in trouble and drop out of school much more frequently than girls. There are fewer boys in college than girls, and far more lost 20-something boys than 20-something girls.

Our boys are not the ones who are failing; we are the ones failing our boys.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2015/02/19/why-schools-are-failing-our-boys/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 08:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
7 years of homeschooling experience, 3 kids in public schools, including one who repeated 1st grade because of dyslexia. Not to mention education has long been one of my interests, at one point I was going to be a teacher.

omg you homeschooled? That's another reason why I am against homeschooling - people like you should not even attempt to teach anything to children, including your own. Yeah right, at one point you wanted to be a teacher, if your intellectual shortcomings had not played into it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 08:38 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
omg you homeschooled? That's another reason why I am against homeschooling - people like you should not even attempt to teach anything to children, including your own. Yeah right, at one point you wanted to be a teacher, if your intellectual shortcomings had not played into it.

A concerned parent has come to us for help. Please try.

I find it very interesting that people like you and beth who bitch the loudest about what A2K has become spend so much of your time in the gutter. If you want better then act better.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 08:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
I haven't bitched about anything except you who is a disgrace to society at large - has nothing to do with a2k. You're the kind of person everyone stays away from. Graciously you've gotten a platform here at a2k, consider yourself lucky.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 09:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

A concerned parent has come to us for help. Please try.

Fortunately, your only opportunity to "help" someone who has a child is online, since you're probably prohibited from being within 1000 feet of a child.
0 Replies

toughcookie

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thank you.
0 Replies

toughcookie

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:11 pm
@chai2,
"I was among the first to get my drivers license."

So I should delay his education just so he can temporarily be the only one in his grade who can drive? And besides, it's not like he'll be the first to drive because he's a better driver. It'll simply be because he's the oldest. Again, nothing to be proud of.

And yes, I think he should be compared to kids who are biologically his own age. The vast majority of kids born on July 5th, 2010 are going to graduate high school in 2028. I don't want my son graduating a year after them.
toughcookie

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:15 pm
@chai2,
In response to your last 2 questions, that's my biggest worry. If kids younger than him are doing better than him, that will just be plain embarrassing. If he's going to get crushed, it's better he crushed by kids older than him than by kids younger than him. At least that way, it won't be so shameful.
toughcookie

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thank you hawkeye10
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:21 pm
@toughcookie,
toughcookie wrote:

"I was among the first to get my drivers license."

So I should delay his education just so he can temporarily be the only one in his grade who can drive? And besides, it's not like he'll be the first to drive because he's a better driver. It'll simply be because he's the oldest. Again, nothing to be proud of.

And yes, I think he should be compared to kids who are biologically his own age. The vast majority of kids born on July 5th, 2010 are going to graduate high school in 2028. I don't want my son graduating a year after them.

I did not say to delay his education so he could get his drivers license before the others. Don't put words in my mouth.
I also said that I remember feeling better about waiting to meet new people. You conveniently don't bring that part into it.

If it's that important to you to make sure your 5 year old graduates high school in 2028 rather than 2029, that's your business.

Apparantly this is the only way for you to have pride in your son. I'd hazard a guess he'll be finding out a lot of conditions you'll have for him to live up to so you can feel ok about being proud of your soon. I don't believe you've mentioned one word about his feelings or needs on this subject. You also don't mention a mother in the picture, or if there is one, that she may feel differently about putting your son in school early.

I do have a question. Why did you bother to ask this question here when you'd already made your mind up?

Did you need something in writing from other people agreeing with you, so you could show your wife?
toughcookie

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:25 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Okay look. Should I proud of myself for knowing my times table better than all the kids in my son's preschool class? Are you oozing with self esteem because you know how to add fractions better than most 8-year-olds? I think the answer's no for both of us. So when a child's 9, the age of a 4th grader, they should already know 3rd grade material. So therefore, a 9 year old who's acing 3rd grade is behind, because they really should be in 4th.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:26 pm
@toughcookie,
toughcookie wrote:

it's better he crushed by kids older than him than by kids younger than him. At least that way, it won't be so shameful.

It's better not to be crushed at all.

Wow, all this talk about pride, shame, being crushed, and you're talking about a little boy.

I'm going to have to thumb down this thread, so I don't have to read any more about a man talking about a 5 year old being crushed and shamed.

toughcookie

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 11:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Let me give you a simple scenario to illustrate. Suppose you have 2 students(we'll call them Mike and Bill). Mike's 13 and Bill's 12, they both have summer birthdays, and they're both in 7th grade. Mike's an A student and Bill's a B student. One might think that this means Mike is smarter. But is reality, Bill is smarter, because he's in 7th grade at the age of 12, whereas when Mike was 12, he was only in 6th grade.