The most important election of our lifetime

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:28 am
I heard someone say that this upcoming U.S. presidential election is the most important election of our lifetime. Is that true? What do you think? Why is this one so much more important?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,751 • Replies: 29
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:33 am
I guess it depends on who you are talking to. It may well be the most important election (so far) in the lifetime of someone in their 20's. But someone in their 70's may have a different point of view.

Just trying to be a pain in the neck here. Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:08 am
<raises his hand>

I'm in my 20's. I gather that this is the most important election of my lifetime.

Though, as CR stated, that is an entirely subjective statement.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:13 am
Okay then, if you're in your 50s or 60s or 70s, which ones do you think were more important than this one?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:21 am
The Carter/Reagan election was more important.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:22 am
And why is that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:23 am
I'm in my early 30's, but I think the thing about this one is the direction that the Bush administration has taken already, and fears about where it would go with another four years and no concern for being re-elected.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:27 am
Ok, I am going to take a swing at this one even though I am not in my 50's, 60's or 70's. I am only in the mid 40's, but I will risk an answer here. Smile

The most important election in my lifetime is the current one. Of course, in 2000, the most important one in my lifetime was that one. My point is, each election should be viewed as the most important, because it is only during the current one where we can let our voices be heard in order to effect change (or keep things the same as the case may be).

The idea that any particular election is less important than others leads us farther down the path of voter apathy which I don't think is a good prospect.

So I honestly cannot pick one during my lifetime, because at the time of each one I considered the issues of that election important.

See, I just continue to be hard to deal with don't I. Smile
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:30 am
Coastal, Actually, I was sort of thinking that when I posted the question. I guess I'm a pain in the ass too. :wink:

But don't you think that in terms of how much of an effect the outcome might have on the rest of the world, this one has got to be up there, due to 9/11 and the changes in the world since then?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:32 am
I have been voting in presidential elections for 28 years...my first being in 1976. This is by far, the most important presidential election of my lifetime.

If George Bush II is given four more years...without the constraints of facing re-election the ramifications of that are frightening. If Bush is given four more years there will be more countries illegally and imorally invaded and the once respected and admired strong United States of America will take a generation (maybe two) to recover. The relationships and dialogue with many foriegn leaders is in a shambles. I know many of them don't want Bush re-elected. They want a leader they can talk to, negotiate with, come to agreements with. Bush is my way or the highway. Evil or Very Mad He has alienated almost everyone in the world...except for his good buddy Vincente Fox, President of Mexico. Rolling Eyes

Our economy will sink to it's lowest ever. More jobs than ever will be 'outsourced'. Gas prices will soar. Our freedoms will be continue to be taken from us bit by bit. Bush will appoint strongly conservative Fundamentalist Christian judges.

The possibilities are endless. That is why John Kerry must be elected.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:44 am
I am 55, and I feel like the America I grew up in is at stake in this election. I've seen the world go from ultra conservative to ultra liberal. and back.

I grew up in a time where if you didn't play sports and have a crew cut you were a queer and have seen sports heroes become the most vulgar bad examples anywhere.

I have lived through a time when rednecks beat you up for having long hair and now it's mostly rednecks that have long hair.

I have lived through Viet Nam, a presidential assassination, no gas available at all, and a time of great prosperity.

the "right" and "left" have always been at odds. We have always had every nasty thing that's going on today in the world going on.

Now, however, we are finally at the point where we have the resources and the technology to do the worst to ourselves possible and that can actually be the elimination of ourselves. All that's lacking is a group of people so short sighted and /or evil that they are willing to go ahead with it.

I believe those people to be in power now, and I believe they are systematically preparing us for that day.

We must begin the process of reversing what's been done or we are doomed.

That's my opinion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:47 am
doglover wrote:
I have been voting in presidential elections for 28 years...my first being in 1976. This is by far, the most important presidential election of my lifetime.

If George Bush II is given four more years...without the constraints of facing re-election the ramifications of that are frightening. If Bush is given four more years there will be more countries illegally and imorally invaded and the once respected and admired strong United States of America will take a generation (maybe two) to recover. The relationships and dialogue with many foriegn leaders is in a shambles. I know many of them don't want Bush re-elected. They want a leader they can talk to, negotiate with, come to agreements with. Bush is my way or the highway. Evil or Very Mad He has alienated almost everyone in the world...except for his good buddy Vincente Fox, President of Mexico. Rolling Eyes

Our economy will sink to it's lowest ever. More jobs than ever will be 'outsourced'. Gas prices will soar. Our freedoms will be continue to be taken from us bit by bit. Bush will appoint strongly conservative Fundamentalist Christian judges.

The possibilities are endless. That is why John Kerry must be elected.

What indicators do you have that any of these doomsday predictions will come true? The economy has improved and continues to do so. Foriegn leaders will deal with whomever is elected. They dod not get to choose. Gas prices are going down...
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:58 am
Yes, if Bush is elected again, the US will suddenly be a washed up country with absolutely no redeeming qualities and people from all over the globe will cease to flock to our wicked shores to experience the freedoms that so many take for granted. He will bring the world to an abrupt end in some nuclear holocaust in his quest to kill ever more millions of innocent people.

I would bet you a considerable sum of money against your doomsday predictions, but when he is elected and they don't come to pass you will find a way to claim they did but all us Bush supporters were in denial.

Such is life on opposing sides of the political spectrum.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:

What indicators do you have that any of these doomsday predictions will come true? The economy has improved and continues to do so. Foriegn leaders will deal with whomever is elected. They dod not get to choose. Gas prices are going down...

The indicators I have McG are this: I live in the real world. The economy has improved you say? Tell that to my 401K. I hate to read my quarterly statement. For a while there, I didn't open it at all. Couldn't bear to look. My company stock has fallen from about $32.00 per share to $4.54 per share in the past few years. I work in the death care industry. That industry is down. My husband is in the trucking business. He's a owner operator. Hauls containers. The Port of Baltimore is a mess with the anti-terrorism measures. Trade is down...less containers to move. Too many truckers all scrambling to move top of the line freight that pays a decent wage per mile. He pays $1.85 for a gallon of diesel. Gas prices are going down? Did you see that on the news? They aren't going down in Maryland. Still just over $2.00 for a gallon of regular.

Foreign leaders will have to deal with whom ever is elected. If they don't behave W just might invade and take them out of power too. Rolling Eyes

Keep watching Fox News McG. They will tell you everything is sunny and bright both in Iraq and the U.S. and you can keep on believing them.

Must be fun living in your fantasy world McG.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:12 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Yes, if Bush is elected again, the US will suddenly be a washed up country with absolutely no redeeming qualities and people from all over the globe will cease to flock to our wicked shores to experience the freedoms that so many take for granted. He will bring the world to an abrupt end in some nuclear holocaust in his quest to kill ever more millions of innocent people.

I would bet you a considerable sum of money against your doomsday predictions, but when he is elected and they don't come to pass you will find a way to claim they did but all us Bush supporters were in denial.

no coastal, no one is saying that...it will however continue down that path in an accelerated fashion...nothing happens overnight...it happens expoentially until it passes a fail safe point and takes on a life of its own.......
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:12 pm
Well, my 401k has gone up steadily for 2 years, with the exception of 2 quarters. I'll not comment on job choices, but be glad that you are working. Gas prices here have dropped .12 cents in the last 2 weeks and will continue to do so.

I don't watch FoxNews or much of any other TV.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:55 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

no coastal, no one is saying that...it will however continue down that path in an accelerated fashion...nothing happens overnight...it happens expoentially until it passes a fail safe point and takes on a life of its own.......

I disagree BPB. Doglover did indeed say that all her dire predictions would happen if/when Bush is re-elected. She did not say we would start down that path. She stated categorically that these things would happen. My post was simply my attempt (unsuccessfully maybe) to humorously show what I thought of her belief in the result of a Bush election.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:05 pm
key word suddenly...no where does she say suddenly...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:45 pm
doglover wrote:
Still just over $2.00 for a gallon of regular

You complain about these prices doglover? One advice: never drive a car in Europe. You would do everything to get an oilprice as stated above :wink: Example: One gallon is 3.8 litre. In the Netherlands that would mean that one gallon is around $5.80. You see my point?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 03:10 pm
My son is an engineer making gasoline at a very large Conoco-Phillips refinery in Texas. He reports that all Conoco-Phillips plants are running at full capacity as are all the facilities operated by the other oil giants. A significant increase in the crude oil supply won't help all that much on gasoline prices when the plants are already producing at or near max. So what's the problem?

Part of it is production capacity. Due to environmental constrictions, there have really been no new refineries built in decades while demand has steadily increased. Until we develop and perfect a lot more technical ability, alternate fuels can't make a dent in that demand without creating worse einvironmental problems.

According to him, its the nutty rules in the states/cities where their customers are. The environmental regs make it unprofitable to build new refineries. Then this place wants this additive, that place wants that one, etc. Instead of allowing 3 or 4 formulas that would fulfill all needs, they are forced to make 30 or 40 different formulas and that slows production and that increases costs.

California is especially vulnerable as they have the most stringest environmental requirements and nobody else makes gasoline for them except the one or two refineries allowed to operate in that state. If a California refinery has to shut down for maintenance or repairs, Californians are in a world of hurt and pay exhorbitant prices for gasoline. (Well exhorbitant for the USA anyway.)

And you know what? If John Kerry is elected president in November he won't be able to do a damn thing about the cost of gasoline either and there are going to be problems he'll be blamed for that are not his doing or within his authority to fix.

And if GWB is elected, the sky won't fall, the sun will still rise in the east, the world will be safe for democracy, and the people will either approve or complain about the way things are going.

And gasoline will not get any more expensive than what people can afford.
0 Replies