What is the value of a television reporter...

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 11:03 am
...reporting on a snow storm, hurricane, or serious icy road conditions…while DRIVING a car with a television camera focused on her/him?

Often the reporter is advising people to stay indoors and not drive because of the dangerous conditions…while driving under magnified dangerous conditions.

Supposedly, speaking on a cell phone while driving in good conditions is very dangerous (even illegal)…yet a person driving while under the pressure of a news report (and the livelihood it represents) in treacherous road conditions, is not???

I see it on local news programs damn near every snowstorm, hurricane, and icy road conditions.

Why warn others about driving in those conditions (with full attention)…while driving in those conditions completely distracted by a camera, microphone, and need to keep a job?

Anybody?

Why are they not thrown in jail for the folly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,501 • Replies: 13
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Frank Apisa
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 11:12 am
Freedom of the press?
Sturgis
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 03:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I too have wondered about these 'reporters' going along in the car and yapping about the dangerous road conditions of ice and snow and etc. etc. Often times they look over towards the camera so they aren't even paying mind to the road or the frigging tree limb which is in the process of falling direct in front of them.

Same with the nutjobs out by the beach during the raging storm, even though it's been made clear that it is an arrestable offense to be there during the storm and that law enforcement persons will be taking you away.

The reports don't serve any purpose as far as I can tell. It's clear what the weather is and that it's dangerous. Tell us this and leave it at that.

Then again, it does take away from those charming (cough, cough, gag, gag) stories about the store with 400 different kinds of pepper or the clothing store which has some simply divine plastic hangers.

News ain't what it used to be on the television. It died with Walter Cronkite, John Chancellor and a few others.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 06:41 am
@Sturgis,
Thank you for coming to this thread, Sturgis. It is delightful to see you back. Hope all is well.

Glad we are on the same page about this reporting while driving nonsense. I have no idea of what it is about...other than theater.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 06:43 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Thanks for the thought, Bobsal, but I think we can protect freedom of the press without reporters driving cars in snowstorms.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 06:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
People want it. Or the media (owners) think, people want it.

It makes a plus due to more adverts. And avoids catastrophe tourism.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 07:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Question, Walter...

...do they have reporters doing this sort of thing over in Germany?

Anyone else from a country other than America: Do they have them doing it where you reside?

It is an absurd thing to allow...and I am almost hoping we are the only ones silly enough to allow it.
Kolyo

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 07:07 am
The benefit to society of showing people how dangerous and horrible conditions are and possibly saving thousands of lives is greater than the possible cost of one reporter's life.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 07:11 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

The benefit to society of showing people how dangerous and horrible conditions are and possibly saving thousands of lives is greater than the possible cost of one reporter's life.

Reporting unsafe conditions from a studio works every bit as well??? And if the ride absolutely must be taken in order to inform...why not have someone who is not a reporter or a crew member shooting the shot...be the driver!

Anyway...I am not as concerned about the life of the reporter or his/her crew...as I am interested in the life of people who have to be out there...and who may be hit by a distracted driver.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 07:24 am
What is the value of a television reporter...

$37.50 in Canadian dollars would be my best guess
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 08:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
I don't think that we have something similar.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 08:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I don't think that we have something similar.

Good. I am hoping we in America are the only one thoughtless enough to allow this kind of thing to happen.

And of course, I am hoping we eventually stop it from happening. We have freedom of the press...but we also can demand that media conform to laws intended to prevent distracted, dangerous driving.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
Isn't this more related to "demand and supply" than to freedom of the press?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Isn't this more related to "demand and supply" than to freedom of the press?

I don't think it is related to freedom of the press in any significant way, Walter. That was something I think Bobsal proposed almost whimsically.

And I do not see what it has to do with supply and demand.

Why on Earth do television stations have to have reporters driving cars around reporting on how dangerous it is to be driving...when they are adding to the danger they are reporting, by having the person driving doing so while distracted by having to report a snowstorm?
0 Replies