Buddhist Dilemma?

tcis

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:31 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Im sure I come off as a smart ass too, but at least I'm a SMART smart ass. May I enquire about your education? our credentials? Did you get scholarships? Did you graduate college? Did you have a GPA above 3.5 at all times? Are you famous among ANY scientific circles? Have you published any well known papers? Written any best selling books? Designed any new technology? Did you have a real degree (sciences, math, engineering, or medical)? Or did you waste all your time in the college of arts and sciences? Do you have your masters? Are you a doctor? Are you even in a ten year track position? Or are you just an uneducated 60 year old man who sits by his computer and convinces himself that he knows something by spewing out unintelligable garbage over the internet? I will assume, by your idiotic posts, and by your lack of capacity for reason, and by the way that you immediately jump on every bit of mystical hooplah and are ready to believe any made up garbage, that you are in fact the latter.

Stuh,

Why are you so angry at eveyrone?

If you've got all the intelligence that you imply above, you should realize that making these kinds of negative statements towards others makes YOU look worse than them.

Ever heard of "attack the idea rather than the person?"

I thought we're here to try to expand our understanding of various topics through productive debate.

What is your goal in putting everyone down with your posts?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:32 pm
Yes, it is obvious that your comment displeased me. Perhaps not for the obvious reason (you migh think just because you insulted me). Like I have said earlier, if I make a mistake, or if I say something illogical...please call me on it, point out my error, so that I might not make the same error again. And if you find an error, I will humbly take any insults you feel like tagging along...as long as your correction is correct. But what you say does not identify any particular example of a stupid question...leaving me to assume that you simply did not understand my questions, and it does anger me when people who do not understand me think that I am wrong when actually I am right and they just dont understand. So be more specific and if you're right I'll apologize.

tcis,
I put people down because I think anyone who makes a mistake should be shut up. Can you imagine if everyone who disagreed with Bush did so silently? It believe it is necessary for everyone to be compltely blunt with each other, and if someone says something stupid, they should be insulted.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:42 pm
Stuh, I understand you lost your temper, and I REALLY didn't want to be talking to your ego. It was very thoughtless of me. I was trying to make life easier for our friend, Asherman, who is generally above petty disputes in A2K. I had the misguided sense that I had to somehow release him from the badgering that I had brought upon him. It was quite stupid of me. That's how MY ego got involved, causing me trouble. But I assure you that your attack on me was not heard with my ego. We've got to stop engaging each other negatively. Sometimes, depending on the issue, it will take effort on my part. Let's try to keep such entanglements to no more than five a year Laughing . I have virtually no temper (lost it after my youth), but I can be irritating, I know. I forgive you and hope you'll forgive me. I DO see you as a valuable resource in these discussions.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:25 pm
I do have an inflated ego. I also regret lowering the quality of this thread with my rampage. However, I do not understand how you see me as badgering asherman...I think we were just having a perfectly reasonable discussion. I would be surprised if he felt badgered. I certainly forgive you and I apologize for my outburst. but finally let me repeat myself...it's ok to point out mistakes I make, I expect this...I just expect you to give a reason for it when you do.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 01:19 pm
Now don't both of you feel better? I don't feel badgered, and understand that sometimes what I'm trying to say seems contradictory, or counter-intuitive. Ask anything, and I'll try to help. Direct, personal attacks that seem to have no purpose other than to wound are very difficult to ignor. I've been known to rise to such bait, and generally make a fool of myself. All that results is that we make ourselves feel bad, resentful and anger sure isn't pleasant.

Communicating across the internet imposes its own problems. We don't really know much of who our audience is. Though I might exchange words with someone that I've personally met, there may be countless others who read the words and have quite a different interpretation than either I, or the person I've addressed might have. Here we have no tonal quality, or visual clues to how our words should be taken. If we don't put a question mark at the end of a sentence, it may be taken as a statement when we really intended some sort of question (a less emphatic communication). Far too often we dash off a posting and don't even re-read it once, much less carefully edit it to insure that it really says what we want to say. There is a tendancy to use complex terms and fancy words, that may have different meanings to different readers. Complex communications on complex topics are much more likely to be misunderstood than simple ideas, expressed simply. When we reply after being emotionally stung, our writing becomes even less carefully formed.

The judicious use of emoticons is one way that has been tried to clarify our written posts. To be effective, they have to be kept to a minimum so as not to overload the reader trying to interpret meaning from abstract symbols. Still, they do give a clue when we are joking, or don't intend a remark to be taken too seriously. They can indicate elequently our embarssement, or disappointment.

Everything is a learning experience. The next step after learning something is to put it into practice. Suffering=bad; thought/words/action that mitigate suffering=good.

Thanks of thinking of me JL.

Ash
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:04 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Im sure I come off as a smart ass too, but at least I'm a SMART smart ass. May I enquire about your education?. . .Are you a doctor? Are you even in a ten year track position?

The irony here is just too, too devastating.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:06 pm
Yeah, Windy City Joe, you ol' ignoramus, you . . .
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:50 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
Im sure I come off as a smart ass too, but at least I'm a SMART smart ass. May I enquire about your education?. . .Are you a doctor? Are you even in a ten year track position?

Yes, Stuh, please educate us: What is a ten year track position?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:50 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
stuh505 wrote:

I did very well on my B-LSATs (buddhist law school admittance test). Does that count? The only reason I didn't pursue the career was because of the whole "they are guilty AND not guilty" thing. It was tough to form an opinion.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:11 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I did very well on my B-LSATs (buddhist law school admittance test). Does that count? The only reason I didn't pursue the career was because of the whole "they are guilty AND not guilty" thing. It was tough to form an opinion.

Try to grab the subpoena from my hand, Grasshopper.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:14 pm
LMAO Joe, nearly peed my pants . . .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:58 pm
I DID have tenure until my retirement, but I confess I never published a "best seller", nor did anyone else in my department.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:04 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

Try to grab the subpoena from my hand, Grasshopper.

I nearly subpoenaed my pants. Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:09 pm
Mind you, if you don't want to give that subpeona to me willingly, I have no plans on trying to grab it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:25 pm
But you'd take it willingly? Interesting.

Has anyone noticed the irony in the title of this thread, "Buddhist Dilemma?" A dilemma is the essence of dualism. Buddhism is the rejection or transcendence of dualism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:27 pm
Would Buddhist lawyers engage in the transcendence of trialism?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:29 pm
Now THERE'S a koan.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:05 pm
JLNobody wrote:
But you'd take it willingly? Interesting.

Has anyone noticed the irony in the title of this thread, "Buddhist Dilemma?" A dilemma is the essence of dualism. Buddhism is the rejection or transcendence of dualism.

Ahh, but I said nothing of taking it willingly, JL, just that it be offered willingly. What the hell kind of path are we treading now? Laughing
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:24 pm
must every post you make mention dualism/nondualism!? gah

I propose that you make a thread containing all 1,000 definitions for dualism in numbered format and then use the following notation whenever you use the word:

"....blah blah dualism[432]..."

so that we know you are referring to the 423rd definition of nondualism/dualism!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:40 pm
Now THAT'S an idea. Thanks, Stuh. Very Happy
0 Replies