RX for Bush: Electoral Surgery: Bush on the Couch

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:24 am
washingtonpost.com
Rx for W: Electoral Surgery
By Richard Leiby
Thursday, June 10, 2004; Page C03

We can assure you nobody will be caught perusing this book in the White House. "Bush on the Couch," authored by a longtime Washington psychiatrist who has never met or treated the president, offers "an exploration of Bush's psyche" that delves into such touchy topics as his baby sister's death, his relationship with his mother and father and his drinking history.

In the book, to be released Tuesday, Justin A. Frank, a clinical professor at George Washington University Medical Center, claims President Bush exhibits "sadistic tendencies" and suffers from "character pathology," including "grandiosity" and "megalomania" -- viewing himself, America and God as interchangeable. Frank told us yesterday that his opinions are based on publicly available materials, adding, "I've never met the president or any members of his family."

A Democrat who once headed the Washington chapter of Physicians for Social Responsibility, Frank concludes in the book: "Our sole treatment option -- for his benefit and for ours -- is to remove President Bush from office . . . before it is too late."

Frank, who has practiced for 35 years, told us he began noting Bush's mannerisms in the fall of 2002. "I was really very unsettled by him and I started watching everything he did and reading what he wrote, and watching him on videotape. I felt he was disturbed." In the book, he writes that Bush "fits the profile of a former drinker whose alcoholism has been arrested but not treated."

A White House spokeswoman would not comment yesterday on "Bush on the Couch," reiterating a statement from communications director Scott McClellan: "I don't do book reviews." (Although the White House has recommended Bob Woodward's "Plan of Attack.")
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 478 • Replies: 1
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:40 pm
This all sounds about right to me. Though I wouldn't count Bush out for having a few nips stashed away. I shudder to think what would happen if he was reelected and had nothing more to lose!
0 Replies