Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

georgeob1

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:35 pm
@revelette2,
I believe the provision of ther law you cited would indeed prohibit Donald Trump from accepting any direct payments from foreign governments, though it wouldn's limit any contractual payments for services rendered by any of his corporations.

The same distinction applied to the Clinton foundation: the foundation accepted some very large payments from foreign governments that were and are quite legal. That they were in some cases obviously done in advance of favorable State Department actiona on pending requests by those governments, or national companies, was however a cause for some concern. Though, as Hillary and her apoligists repeatedly said, no one ever convicted her of breaking any law.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:45 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
Specifically, 18 U.S.C. Section 202 (relating to financial interests), holds that, “Except as otherwise provided … the terms ‘officer’ and ‘employee’ … of this title shall not include the President, the Vice President, a Member of Congress, or a Federal Judge.”

Quote:
any government official from accepting gifts or payments from foreign governments, as well as laws that prohibit soliciting or accepting bribes

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of him putting the whole thing into a blind trust to remove the appearance influence, but is doing business the same as just receiving payments? There is no mention of actually doing business or being a business owner. I guess we would have to look at the early history of our nation and how they did it. I'm sure a majority of our early presidents were business owners or farmers. Were they prevented from doing business while they were in office or did they set it aside and have someone else run them?
revelette2

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 03:15 pm
@Baldimo,
It is the foreign part that is significant, not the business part. From what I can see he can't really profit from foreign governments business entanglements because that might count as payments. I could be wrong though, I imagine it will be looked into by people who know this sort of stuff on both sides.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 03:17 pm
@georgeob1,
The Clinton foundation accepted money from foreign governments to the charity foundation which has been looked at a thousand times and found that I think something like 80% (might be higher) of the money does indeed go to charity. She didn't break any law or they sure would have found it, they looked enough.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 03:29 pm
@revelette2,
The Clinton Foundation has never been cleared of anything. The FBI still has a case open into the pay for play issues.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 03:34 pm
@revelette2,
I don't think "they" looked very hard at all. The foundation was a family affair: it paid their daughter a generous salary and gave her a very expensive wedding. It also paid the salaries of a cotire of Hillary's political assistants through either direct salaries or fees or through a captive consulting company that funneled money to them and the foundation, and , by all appearances, appeared to be directly involved in the coordination of pay-to-play activities.

I think it's pretty clear that the Obama Justice Department was merely nthe muscle for their political programs. Very hard to find anything to match that sorry aspect of our recent history in any other Administration of either party.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 04:09 pm
@georgeob1,
It seems $17 million disappeared from the Clinton Foundation.
http://www.wnd.com/2015/05/how-did-17-million-disappear-from-clinton-foundation/
layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 04:15 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

There is one exception to that rule it is something like an emoluments clause which bans:

Quote:
any government official from accepting gifts or payments from foreign governments, as well as laws that prohibit soliciting or accepting bribes

I see that you are putting special emphasis on the word "payment" and that you appear to be quoting from the clause itself. But that clause does not contain the word "payment." Here it is:

Quote:
No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.--ARTICLE I, SECTION 9, CLAUSE 8

According to a law professor, "he Emoluments Clause has apparently never been litigated..." One dictionary defines "emolument" as: " a salary, fee, or profit from employment or office."

Basically, the clause seems to be saying that you can't be "on the payroll" of a foreign State. Just another way of saying "bribery" is not allowed, really, only it's more specific about the source of the "bribe."

A "profit from employment or office" is not the same as a "profit" from buying a widget for $9, then selling it for $10. We, as a country, constantly "sell" things to other countries. I presume we usually make a profit, but that is not a "profit from office" or a payment for "service."

Nor is it a "profit from office" if Trump rents a hotel room to a person who is merely a citizen of a foreign state. The whole clause is primarily addressed to such things as "offices" and "titles."

The underlying idea seems pretty clear: Don't try to WORK FOR the U.S. and another country at the same time. Selling a widget to Japan is not "working for" Japan. It is simply doing business with Japan.

Conflict of interest may create problems for other reasons, but the "emoluments clause" doesn't really seem to be applicable to any of Trump's business dealings.

layman

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 06:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It seems $17 million disappeared from the Clinton Foundation.
http://www.wnd.com/2015/05/how-did-17-million-disappear-from-clinton-foundation/

Interesting article, Al. Some excerpts:

Quote:
Before Hillary Clinton completed her first year as President Obama’s secretary of state, Wall Street analyst and investor Charles Ortel calculates $17 million went missing from Clinton Foundation financial reports....

Ortel is accusing the Clintons of “inurement,” an offense that is defined at law as using a charity for personal financial benefit or for the material financial benefit of close associates, including those managing the charity, working at the charity, or affiliated with the charity in some other way, such as being a member of the charity’s board of directors.

When it comes to inurement allegations, the burden of proof shifts....The IRS defines “inurement” in strict terms: ...“The regulation places the burden of proof on the organization to demonstrate that it is not organized or operated for the benefit of private interests such as designated individuals...

State and federal law requires regulators to shut down the organization and typically fire the board of directors. The charity is thrown into receivership once accusers demonstrate a pattern of financial mismanagement that suggests it is being fraudulently operated to commit the crime of inurement....

The disappearance of $17 million, Ortel argues, is reason enough for regulators to shut a foundation down and to throw it into receivership.

If they have the burden of proving that they DIDN'T illegally profit, their problems just got worse.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 07:02 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Beautiful ! Laughing

Easy George. Your real personality is beginning to show up here rather than the good old guy some on this forum claim.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 08:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Your article is from World Net Daily, which is a right wing rag which specializes in concocting scandals against Democrats. The "article" is from a special report prepared only for World Net Daily, ie, the rag paid some hambone off to concoct a scandal, the "investigation" is not official. And the column pushing this "report" is by Jerome Corsi, who's the guy who concocted the Swift Boat Scandal against John Kerry.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 09:14 pm
@Blickers,
Thanks for the head's up. I did a factcheck on Jerome Corsi, and this is what I found.
Quote:
Summary
Despite its place near the top of The New York Times’ nonfiction bestseller list, where it has been riding high for the past six weeks, Jerome Corsi’s "The Obama Nation" is not a reliable source of facts about Obama.

The SOB has a PhD (earned at Harvard), and he lies often.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 09:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's rather vague. What's the source? Any comment on the missing funds?
Blickers

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 09:26 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
That's rather vague.

It's actually rather clear cut. Corsi has lied before.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 10:54 pm
@georgeob1,
From the Huff Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-k-wilson/jerome-corsis-lies-inside_b_119036.html

Quote:
Fiorina and others are referring only to the amount donated by the Clinton Foundation to outside charities, ignoring the fact that most of the Clinton Foundation’s charitable work is performed in-house. One independent philanthropy watchdog did an analysis of Clinton Foundation funding and concluded that about 89 percent of its funding went to charity.
Simply put, despite its name, the Clinton Foundation is not a private foundation — which typically acts as a pass-through for private donations to other charitable organizations. Rather, it is a public charity. It conducts most of its charitable activities directly.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 10:54 pm
Donald Trump campaign staffer in Michigan convicted of felony election fraud
http://www.palmerreport.com/news/donald-trump-campaign-staffer-convicted-felony-election-fraud/302/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 11:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Clinton Foundation Form 990 for 2011: http://www.clintonfoundation.org/files/2011ClintonFoundationIRS990.pdf
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 11:21 pm
NORTH CAROLINA GOV. BEHIND ANTI-LGBT HATE LAW LOSES RE-ELECTION
http://theintellectualist.co/north-carolina-gov-behind-anti-lgbt-hate-law-loses-re-election/
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 11:44 pm
@layman,
This is what Wikipedia says about Jerome Corsi who wrote that fraudulent article about Hillary.

"Jerome Robert Corsi (born August 31, 1946) is an American author, political commentator and conspiracy theorist"

No proof whatsoever and were are Trumps tax returns??? Still waiting...

Hillary has provided her tax returns and if there was one single shred of evidence here don't you think a 2005 story might have gained some legs by now and gotten up and walked?

All just hate mongering from the right. LIES.

They hate on a black president and hate on women and find people gullible enough to pass on this kind of tripe.

I don't find a story full of lies and innuendo "interesting" at all.

It is offensive and this is a prime example of FAKE NEWS...
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 08:08 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
The investigation into Mrs. Clinton’s emails is already closed and, while the one into her family’s foundation remains open, senior F.B.I. officials and career Justice Department officials have said there is little evidence justifying moving forward with a case. When the case comes up for review, senior agents and prosecutors may decide to shut it down, but it will not be because of Mr. Trump’s remarks.

source

FBI Probe of Clinton Foundation Based Mostly on Allegations in ‘Clinton Cash’: Report
0 Replies