her strategy misfired?

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 01:45 pm
1) Does "a liberal Christian teacher" refer to " Miss Graves"?
2) If so, why did she say "I have been through that myself (in my understanding, "that" should refer to Skinner's experience "that I no longer believed in God.")
3) Does "her strategy misfired" mean "her strategy that she wants to assuage Skinner's fear of hell"?

Context:

Skinner was born in Susquehanna, Pennsylvania to Grace and William Skinner.[5] His father was a lawyer. Skinner became an atheist after a liberal Christian teacher tried to assuage his fear of the Hell that his grandmother described.

"Within a year I had gone to Miss Graves to tell her that I no longer believed in God. 'I know,' she said, 'I have been through that myself.' But her strategy misfired: I never went through it".[6]

Skinner attended Harvard University after receiving his B.A. in English literature in 1926. After graduation, he spent a year at his parents' home in Scranton attempting to become a writer of fiction. He tried to become a writer in Greenwich Village. He soon became disillusioned with his literary skills and concluded that he had little world experience and no strong personal perspective from which to write. His encounter with John B. Watson's Behaviorism led him into graduate study in psychology and to the development of his own operant behaviorism.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 334 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 02:17 pm
Her strategy was (I believe) to persuade Skinner that a person can go through a period of disbelief and later return to belief. It misfired in the sense that he did not accept this and did not later seek to return.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 04:29 pm
What does the footnote say that [6] refers to?
0 Replies