True blue (oops that should be 'red') Canadian Liberals

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 03:07 pm
cav

Yes. Harris and Campbell (BC's present leader) both got their governments into power using precisely the same strategies developed in the US by a fellow (Reaganite) whose name I can't now recall.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 03:13 pm
Quick bit of further info on BC...

Our provincial politics here had previously been a match up between two parties not named above. Here, the Liberals and the Progessive Conservatives were not ever political powers. Here, power bounced back and forth between the Social Credit Party (right) and the New Democrat Party (on the left).

The Social Credit Party self destructed through corruption (manilla folders filled with dollars passed to the leader in an underground parking lot) and it too never recovered.

The forces on the right managed to take over the provincial Liberal Party (though being anything but 'liberal') and they lambasted the New Democrats in the last election.

Since then, their polls have dwindled steadily, not helped by the a smirking Hawaii police photo of the leader busted on a drunk driving charge.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 03:47 pm
but to drop a spot of fair play into the mix, the Liberals have been found with their arms up to the elbows in public funds recently, which is not bolstering their reputations or electoral chances.
we seem to be lodged in a political wasteland of, once again, choosing the least evil option.

but some evils do stand out!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 04:04 pm
another rather odd thing that gives me hope (being the hypocritical slag that i am) the CBC Canadas flagship broadcasting station has a decidedly Liberal slant on things being quick to cover rebuttles of any claims Harper may make.
One could consider this slanted journalism, if one didn't privately relish every little 'slant'!
Of course they know which side of the bread the butter is on, culture is the job of bacteria to the conservatives! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 04:24 pm
bo

Yeah as to pork barrel bullshit. Toss those guilty into a courtroom regardless of party.

But take a look at your notion that the CBC has a liberal slant. The farther right the political spectrum moves, the more left the CBC will look in comparison, but ONLY in comparison.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:31 pm
as far as i am concerned, the CBC can appear to be a Soviet Rock Band, so long as they defend the marginal gains won in the Battle of Culture, over the last 25 years.
Canada IS culture; of many, many kinds, it's what sets us apart, and gives us a coherence that is as near as i'll ever get to 'nationalism'.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:39 pm
bo

Agreed. Let it change its name, get a hairdoo, let it even play Celion Dion....but let it continue.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:49 pm
maybe Celine is going just a smidge too far! Shocked
0 Replies