Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 11:29 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

If the NFL officials failed to check the balls with a pressure guage. And if (as Packer's quarterback Aaron Rogers says) that many teams play with balls that are a couple of PSI above or below the limit, then the NFL should apologize for failing to do their job, and for singling the Patriots out for something many teams do.

With all due respect, Max, this is not an especially good point.

Kraft did not ask the NFL to apologize for (the umpires) failing to do their job (if that actually is what happened). He asked the NFL to apologize for what poor Bill Belichick and Tom Brady had to endure this week.

Belichick and Brady did not have to "endure" anything at the hands of the NFL. The NFL, if anything, ought to be admonished by the public for not being quicker to investigate...and to mete out punishment immediately rather than making sure they did not pay any price before the Super Bowl. If they did endure something...it was at the hands of the media...and sports fans who are tired of Belichick and the Patriots playing too close to the edge.

Here is Kraft's statement:

"If the Wells investigation is not able to definitively determine that our organization tampered with the air pressure on the footballs, I would expect and hope that the league would apologize to our entire team and, in particular, coach [Bill] Belichick and Tom Brady for what they have had to endure this past week."
maxdancona

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 05:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
... sports fans who are tired of Belichick and the Patriots playing too close to the edge.

There is no such sports fan.

You hate Belicheck and Brady for the same reason that I love them. They are dominating football. And you are enjoying the your emotions toward the Patriots as much as I am. The fact is that deflated balls or not, the Patriots took apart the Colts.

The Patriots play best when they are pissed. I hope (and expect) on Sunday they will play to make a point and shut up the haters. I almost feel sorry for the Seahawks.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2015 05:28 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
... sports fans who are tired of Belichick and the Patriots playing too close to the edge.

There is no such sports fan.

You hate Belicheck and Brady for the same reason that I love them.

One...there most assuredly ARE such sports fans...and sports writers, which is mostly what I had in mind.

And two: Why do you jump to such unwarranted conclusions, Max?

I think Belichick is the finest coach in professional football right now..in fact, I will go out on a limb and say "in all of football."

And I think Brady is certainly among the top quarterbacks of all time...although a bit too much of a pretty boy for my taste.

In any case, I have nothing but admiration for their abilities. And I most assuredly do not hate them...or even dislike them.

Where did you get that from?

Quote:
They are dominating football.

They sure are. I am a football fan...and love to watch Brady play and Belichick coach.

Quote:
And you are enjoying the your emotions toward the Patriots as much as I am. The fact is that deflated balls or not, the Patriots took apart the Colts.

They beat the piss out of them...as I have said several times.

If the balls had all been over-inflated...they still would have beat the piss out of the Colts...as I have also said before.

Quote:

The Patriots play best when they are pissed. I hope (and expect) on Sunday they will play to make a point and shut up the haters. I almost feel sorry for the Seahawks.

I have no sympathy for haters of any kind. But I have no dog in this fight.

I will wish Neo...good luck with his Hawks...and I wish you good luck with the Pats.

Stay cool.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 07:02 am
http://i60.tinypic.com/fpavr6.jpg
NFL mulls fine for Marshawn Lynch
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12242300/marshawn-lynch-get-fined-nfl-wearing-beastmode-hat-super-bowl-media-day-sources-say
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 09:23 pm
@engineer,
I have to admit, those texts are pretty damning.

A lesson for us all.... if you are doing something questionable, don't text about it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 10:13 pm
Oy.

I've no investment in all this flubbery.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 04:47 am

https://scontent-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11150657_1088230564524623_7439390309160346392_n.jpg?oh=6720fa845f14acd957818d255b8cacf7&oe=55BEC145
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 08:52 pm
@engineer,
Based on what we now know about Deflate gate, a one game suspension would be a slap on the wrist. A one game suspension would send the wrong message. That would show that Tom Brady who cheated, lied, and fail to fully cooperate with the investigation gets a slap on the wrist. Intentially having footballs deflated would justifiably warrant a 1 or 2 game suspension. Lying and refusing to turn over the text messages to investigators justifiably warrants an additional 1 to 2 game suspension. That would total a bare minimum of 2 game up to maximum of 4 game suspension. If he had came clean, told the truth, and cooperated by handing over the text messages to investigators, then and only then would it be fair for him to only get a 1 or 2 game suspension.
George

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 05:56 am
@Real Music,
What about the Patriots organization?
Real Music

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 09:10 pm
@George,
The investigation had cleared coach Belichick of having any knowledge of the footballs being deflated. So, he probably should not receive any punishment. On the other hand, the team/Patriots organization should definitely be punished. The employer "The New England Patriots" should definitely be held accountable for the actions of there employees. Since quarterback Tom Brady and the ball boys are employees of the New England Patriots, the Patriots organization should undoubtedly be punished. Fining a team means nothing. These NFL teams are own by billionaires. The only way to punish the Patriots in a meaningful painful way is to take away some of their future draft picks. Taking away some future draft picks would be the most fair punishment to issue the Patriots organization.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 09:33 pm
@Real Music,
Where do you live Real_Music?

I bet you don't live in New England.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 02:36 am
And the rule should be changed.

Some quarterbacks like balls inflated as much as possible...some like them not quite as inflated.

Why do the rules favor quarterbacks who prefer balls inflated to the max?

If some quarterbacks prefer a softer ball...allow them to use it. All would have the option.

Seems to be one of those rules that could allow for more leeway with no problem.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 08:02 am

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 10:30 am
@Frank Apisa,
That makes sense, Frank. Both teams can use the same PSI. Who cares?
As for Brady, he may deserve some public spanking.
But suspension?
No way!
I don't want those boorish, smug Patriots' fans to have any excuse when their beloved team gets trashed in the 2015 season.
Go Bills!
Go Dolphins!
Go Jets!

BooYah!
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 09:18 pm
@maxdancona,
No, I don't live or have ever lived in New England. I grew up on the east coast until I was 19. I have lived on the west coast ever since. I am now in my 40s. Until now, I never disliked the Patriots. In fact until now, without being a Patriot fan, I respected their excellence and winning tradition over the last decade or so. When it comes to sports, I really despise cheaters. The biggest cheaters in todays world of sports are athletes who use steroids or performance enhancement drugs. I despise each and every single one of them. Maybe I am not being completely honest. If this was my team, just maybe I might be singing a different tune. If this was my team I might be saying this is no big deal and the punishment should be mild and lenient. I guess it's human nature to defend and protect something that you are heavily invested in. If you were a fan of something for years, decades, or most of your life, that makes you heavily invested.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 09:47 pm
If ya do the crime, do the time.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 10:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Beating your wife get's you a four game suspension. I guess the question is how letting 2 psi of air out of footballs compares to assault and battery.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 10:23 pm
@maxdancona,
As a Patriots fan, I wouldn't mind a four game suspension, after which Brady comes back with an attitude and wins another Superbowl. The Patriots play very well when they are pissed off.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 10:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Where do you get that? I don't ever beat my wife.