Kolyo

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 04:24 pm
Relax everyone. We won. It's over.

We're On To Seattle!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Richard_Nixon_victory_wave.jpg
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 05:02 pm
@Kolyo,
I feel a little bad for the Seahawks. They are going to have to play a pissed off Patriots team with something to prove. It won't be pretty (but I am so looking forward to it).

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 06:14 pm
@maxdancona,
I've no rooster in the fight (I picked Green Bay with little but fervent hope) but I haven't gotten a warm appreciation for Belichick over the years. I'm also not Carroll's greatest fan, but am more unclear on that.

I'm pissy about stadium noise to dangerous to hearing levels, mostly at the designers who work that. I assume someone told them to, but they should advise otherwise.
Speaking as we were of cheating.....
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 06:30 pm
http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

The New England Patriots Prevention of Fumbles is Nearly Impossible

Quote:
Could the Patriots be so good that they just defy the numbers? As my friend theorized: Perhaps they’ve invented a revolutionary in-house way to protect the ball, or perhaps they’ve intentionally stocked their skill positions with players who don’t have a propensity to fumble. Or perhaps still, they call plays which intentionally result in a lower percentage of fumbles. Or maybe its just that they play with deflated footballs on offense. It could be any combination of the above.

But regardless of what, specifically, is causing these numbers, the fact remains: this is an extremely abnormal occurrence and is NOT simply random fluctuation.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 08:20 pm

why is the NFL dragging this out?

is it not in their best interest to wrap up the investigation quickly, hand out the penalty/fine, and get on with SB-49?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 09:28 pm
@parados,
Minnesota has fewer fumbles per game (0.6) then the Patriots (0.9). Jacksonville and San Diego have the same number (0.9) as the Patriots and three teams are right behind (0.1).

This is a silly conspiracy theory that is easy to debunk with readily available facts.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 09:45 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
is it not in their best interest to wrap up the investigation quickly, hand out the penalty/fine, and get on with SB-49?

Absolutely. How about dealing a one-game suspension to Brady, to be served at the next game? ... which, btw, is going to be held in a week or so, just a few miles from my house.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 09:47 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Absolutely. Why not hand a one-game suspension to Brady, to be served at the next game?

Because the NFL is a business... and the Superbowl their best big money making product.

A Superbowl featuring a Patriots team without Tom Brady is going to lose a lot of money.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 09:56 pm
They will still be "investigating" the matter, until the off season, I bet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 09:58 pm
@parados,
from your link

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Fumble-Chart-1.png

Quote:
I spoke with a data scientist who I know from work on the NFLproject.com website, and sent him the data. He said:

Based on the assumption that fumbles per play follow a normal distribution, you’d expect to see, according to random fluctuation, the results that the Patriots have gotten over this period, once in 16,233.77 instances”.

Which in layman’s terms means that this result only being a coincidence, is like winning a raffle where you have a 0.0000616 probability to win. Which in other words, it’s very unlikely that it’s a coincidence.

what I don't understand is how Tom Brady can say he didn't notice the difference in the balls, before and after. If a guy catching one of those balls noticed it, how can superpro TB not notice?
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 04:09 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
how Tom Brady can say he didn't notice the difference in the balls, before and after.
If a guy catching one of those balls noticed it, how can superpro TB not notice?
the guy who intercepted the pass did not know whether the ball was kosher.

he simply gave it to the Colts' equipment staff to save for him as a souvenir...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 05:10 am
Quote:
#DeflateGate theory

For those of who who want to vilify the Patriots and their team, you're welcome to that. But I believe differently. I speak not as an admitted fan of this team, but as one who is looking at it pragmatically.

I submit this alternate theory.

The QB chooses the balls over the course of the week. He has all week to work the balls in as he sees fit and then selects the ones he wants to use during the game. He then says to the league two and a half hours prior to game time 'I want these' and then those balls are taken from the team, weighed, stored away from any member of the team, and then given to the team only minutes prior to the first snap.

In this case, that means that all 11 under inflated balls were deflated IN PLAIN SIGHT OF EVERYONE to exactly the same air pressure.

In this day and age of electronics and sideline cameras and everything else that is there, how is that accomplished? Isn't that a major undertaking? There is a massive amount of risk in doing that - and especially in a game of this magnitude.

Or....

The league didn't weigh the balls like they normally do and won't admit to it. To me, this makes way more sense. Someone said at some point 'Oh yeah, we weighed them' and they didn't, knowing full well they would hold up a major television event and most likely lose their job. And since those balls weren't measured or weighed, having been in various temperatures, they'll most likely be inflated with slightly less air pressure.

All of them.

The kicking balls are new that day of the game, so that's the 12th ball that was at the proper air pressure.

Let me back this up with additional information.

This being the same league that had Ray Rice evidence all along and admitted it, then said they didn't, then admitted they messed up.

I believe the Patriots are innocent.
(from the NEP FB page)
Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 05:58 am
@Region Philbis,
One correction as I watched all of this being described by ESPN talking heads. What I heard renders this a bit inaccurate. But I agree mainly with what you conclude or proposed:
Quote:
The kicking balls are new that day of the game, so that's the 12th ball that was at the proper air pressure.

There are 3 sets of 12 balls delivered. One throwing set goes to each team. Then the remaining set of 12 is/are the 'K' balls. Those tainted 11 out of 12 balls were all throwing balls.

My wild-ass theory is that somewhere during the time from after the officials measure the one set of the balls, they lost vigilance. Another party (not Patriots QB or offense... say maybe a ball boy) did some doctoring. Remember that Las Vegas and Fantasy football betting is multi-billion dollar industry.
Follow the trail of easy money to be made.

Corruption temptation to mess around may have snuck its ugly head in. That someone or Vegas-ite might have a cool pay day if they can affect a QB stats for the game.

IMHO, there's no way to prove that Brady did this dastardly deed. Why would he take such a risk? Too much to lose and with some tiny affect with some tiny potential advantage. Hell in the 2nd half he had far better stats with the replacement balls that were in regulation inflation.

I too think Pats are innocent. Also feel the officials lost site of the balls...and were caught with their balls down.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 08:53 am
I am a Patriots fan. I've been a fan since the team first took the field as the
Boston Patriots in 1960.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but from what I've read and heard, I cannot
imagine the Patriots were not at fault. Either they slipped the official a
bunch of bad footballs and got away with it or the balls were tampered with
afterwards. Nothing else makes sense to me.

This whole thing just depresses the hell out of me.
Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 09:42 am
@George,
Clearly something slipped by the officials. To my understanding the blal validation/checking protocol and chain of custody process seems flawed.

Ballboy tampering (perhaps unaware by Brady and Belichick) is my potshot guess.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 09:50 am
@Ragman,
I would agree with you, but for the fact that the ones handling the balls would have known they were not right, from the beginning, and did nothing about it.
Ragman

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 09:55 am
@edgarblythe,
QB a bit distracted, perhaps?

regardless, there was no actual advantage. Can't imagine that Brady or coach B. would have knowingly taken such a risk. something more benign caused this...but it's pretty firkin odd.
roger

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 03:49 pm
@Region Philbis,
Gee! I did not know you could check pressure by weighing.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 03:53 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
#DeflateGate theory

The QB chooses the balls over the course of the week. He has all week to work the balls in as he sees fit and then selects the ones he wants to use during the game.

how does this jive with three sets of twelve balls being delivered the day of the game?

I am reading so many different descriptions of what is supposed to happen (let alone what may have happened). They'll never get ISO certification like this Rolling Eyes
George

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 04:13 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
#DeflateGate theory

The QB chooses the balls over the course of the week. He has all week to work the balls in as he sees fit and then selects the ones he wants to use during the game.

how does this jive with three sets of twelve balls being delivered the day of the game?

I am reading so many different descriptions of what is supposed to happen (let alone what may have happened). They'll never get ISO certification like this Rolling Eyes

The three sets of twelve:
Set 1: Balls used only for kicking. These are 12 new footballs direct from
the manufacturer. They are kept in the officials' room until 2 hours
before kick-off. They are marked with a "K".
Set 2: Balls used by the home team offense. These are twelve balls
provided by the home team and inspected by the officials 2 hours
and fifteen minutes before kicking. If approved, they are mark by the
inspecting official, placed in a bag and delivered to the home team's
ball attendant just before kick-off.
Set 3: Same as Set 2 but provided by the visiting team for their use.
0 Replies