art chat

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 09:19 pm
I am a very beginner at Chat. I have tried it twice here, and really liked the first two chat episodes I was in. The art chat group is scheduled from 8 to 10 eastern time, 5 to 7 my pacific time, on Sundays. Todays's was ostensibly about Mchaelangelo, Raphaelo, and Leonardo, people I know a little bit about, but not much.

I didn't get to the Chat group tonight until more than an hour into it, about an hour and ten minutes and no one was there. I know enough now to wait, and did, for most of the next hour. Timed out for about four minutes.

The only person who checked in was Dyslexia, who disappeared within seconds, and since we loved talking with him last week, I think that was some error, he thought no one was home.

So, I post this for others like me, beginners at chatting on line, who might enjoy trying it, and go there and there is no answer....please wait a bit....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,199 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 09:26 pm
Also, when I checked in, at what would have been 9:10 EST, I had no way of knowing if anyone had posted at all in the previous hour, since the screen erases itself every fifteen minutes. Did I land in a slough of despond or a momentary pause in the conversation?

I hope others here join us in this conversation, it is really fun when it works.
osso/j
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:58 pm
Oh Osso so sorry we missed you. It was only JLN and myself and we literlity did just chat. We talked about art of course but not the topic we I am afraid digressed. Dys never said a word.

Because it was just the two of us after an hour we signed off. We must have just missed you. Do you have any ideas for a new topic or do you want to stick with the one we have been on? It such a huge area of art.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:33 pm
Sunday Cyber Art Salon chat 1/12/03 at 8:00 p.m. EST. The topic this week is:

P O T P O U R R I
All the fine arts, wrting, music, painting - what we like and what we do not like and why Kismet is unique a representation of the possibilities that human beings can see and hear and feel.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:a2ccKU16_LUC:wwell.net/pi/objects/potpourri/potpourri-001.gif
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:55 pm
chat
Joanne, Potpourri: what could be better? Frankly, I think it should be the DEFAULT topic, unless somebody wants to address something in particular.
John
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 10:10 pm
Good idea, John. Say, hey, should we just relax and use first names here? I'll use mine since you used yours.

My own recent sense is that if someone has researched a topic and really wants to talk about it, that someone could get pretty aggravated to see it disappear in the chat atmospherics. So I think we should cover Leonardo and Kiki er al, in real time. Or not real time, as it were.

OK, I'm going to show up at 5 pst Sunday, I insist.

On my name, - I know all about, or somewhat about, various internet deviltry, but really, what could happen, people would sell me turpentine?

Yet I suppose the hacking types can figure out more and discretion is the better part of valor.

Or valor is the best thing about discretion.

Jo
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 11:17 pm
chat
Yeah, what can they do? At least what can they do to me if they think my name is John Nobody? I will use my real name in "pm" communication when I want the other person to know me unanonymously, but I wouldn't have wanted some of the wierdos at abuzz (and I'm sure some will show up here as well some day) to know my full name, social security number or mother's maiden name.
John
0 Replies

morbitalsun

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 10:59 pm
is anyone interested in chating about philosophy and art.....................especially texts like the birth of tragedy and maybe blanchot.the space of literture? maybe some heidegger....let me know
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 12:07 am
philosophy
Morbitalisun, I've read some Nietzsche (Birth....), no Blanchot, a little Heiddeger which, I'm afraid to say, if VERY difficult reading. I wouldn't want to spend too much time reading these works for a conversation, and I really wonder how many others would (they'll speak for themselves, of course). But the Birth of Tradegy, Neitzsche's first publication, I believe, is very relevant for the art community, particularly his dionysian/appolinian dichotomy.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 02:04 am
morbitalsun, welcome! You will probably find, or be able to stir up, what you're looking for if you click on:

Books

Philosophy and Debate

and/or

Religion and Spirituality

timber
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 11:45 am
Sorry I missed all of you! I'm such a numbskull, I forgot how to hook into the chat room. JD has been kind enough to invite me several times, and I still keep missing you guys. I put a note on my computer screen, so I'll try to make it at the next chat. There isn't much I can contribute on the three artists listed, but I did see art works by all three. Wink c.i
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 12:49 pm
chat
It turned out, C.I., that we talked about everything but the three artists. That seems to work best, in many cases.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 01:26 pm
I've posted this photo of Leonardo's Last Supper in another forum, but will post it here also for comments.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL11/869904/inbox/t-71359.jpg

Will look for other photos. c.i.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 11:23 am
Cyber Art Salon Meets tonight 8:00 p.m. EST. Tongiht is open discussion and all are invited.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 12:34 pm
John, There are too many sheriffs and posses to control the unweildy A2Ker. They will not last too long, and they will not be able to find another identity to imposter anybody else on A2K. My holster is close to my hip to police A2K for the undesirables. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 03:55 pm
I am going to add a new thread on decisions we need to make about the chat room. After we talk a while, I will develop a poll to survey what we think. In the meantime, I will start a second thread with next week's chat subject and some links.
0 Replies