The Ugly Economics of Privatized War

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 01:12 am
Common sense commentaries: June 7 - 11
Jim Hightower - jimhightower.com

06.10.04 - THE UGLY ECONOMICS OF PRIVATIZED WAR

Sometimes it takes the unspeakable horror of war to unveil ugly truths about national policies that our so-called leaders don't want us to notice, much less discuss.

Take, for example, the horrible news coming out of Iraq about contract workers for Halliburton and other war corporations being brutally killed and their bodies barbarically desecrated. Naturally, the first reaction is shock and outrage -- but then obvious questions come to mind: Why has so much of our military been corporatized, and who are the Halliburtons getting to take these dangerous jobs?

The first question reveals the ugly fact that the military itself has become a for-profit enterprise. Corporations not only provide the weaponry, but increasingly they also provide the war personnel -- everyone from armed troops to essential supply squadrons. This is rationalized on the basis that a Halliburton can do it cheaper. But do they? To get people to go to Iraq, Halliburton pays $80,000 to $100,000 a year for a truck driver or mess cook, plus health care and life insurance. Not to mention the overhead and guaranteed profit that Halliburton tacks onto each of the pay stubs it submits to us taxpayers. A soldier doing comparable work is paid a fourth of that.

The second question speaks volumes about America's ugly economic policies. By deliberately pushing outsourcing, union-busting, and low-wage Wal-Mart jobs, our corporate and political leaders have created a huge pool of the working poor. These are the people who, out of necessity, will take Halliburton's pay check, even though it means separation from family, 14-hour days seven days a week, and exposure to kidnapping, torture, and death. Unlike soldiers, these contract workers are poorly prepared -- they get only one week of training.

What we have here is an immoral system of war profiteering at the expense of taxpayers, the working poor... and America's democratic values.

"High-paying jobs lure workers to Iraq." Austin American-Statesman, May 23, 2004.
"Recruiters at job fair play up the dangers of working in Iraq." Austin American-Statesman, May 23, 2004.
www.goarmy.com

FANTASIES OF CORPORATE IDEOLOGUES

It's always enlightening to have the glories of corporate globalization explained to us by conservative pontificators who try to convince us that globalization is the height of morality, for it indirectly aids the poor -- a group of people they never care to aid directly.

Not long ago, we were treated to an example of such enlightenment by William Safire, the old Nixon speechwriter who's now a pundit for the New York Times. He offered a touching, hypothetical story of a low-income mother whose 12-year-old boy had said to her: "Momma, I need new shoes because the old ones with the holes hurt my feet, and the other kids in school are laughing at me." But, Safire tells us sadly, his fictional momma had to say to her boy that she "couldn't afford no $50 on new shoes made in America."

Glory Be and Hallelujah, Safire's morality tale ends happily -- for momma found a store that was "having a clearance of shoes made in China or Indo-someplace. I bought him a pair of fine leather shoes for $24. You shoulda seen my boy's face light up."

In case you missed the moral of this literary gem, Safire pounds it into us in the next sentence of his column: "Free trade is helping that lady make ends meet because her hard-earned dollar now has more buying power. If those fast-talking protectionists had their way, the high cost of living would deny her boy those shoes." Gosh, Bill, thanks for that little lecture.

Meanwhile, moving from fiction to real life, you might observe that Nike doesn't lower the price on its shoes just because it pays workers in Indo-someplace a dollar a day, instead of the $10-an-hour it used to pay U.S. workers. No, Nike simply pockets the savings. Also, if "Momma" had not had her middle-class job offshored by the likes of Nike, she wouldn't be poor -- and then she could afford "$50 on new shoes made in America."

Instead of pushing more trickle-down fantasies, lets invest in America's middle-class again.

"My Anti-Stump Speech," New York Times, February 23, 2004.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 414 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:35 am
Very interesting, BBB.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:26 am
On another thread last week, in a disagreement with thomas, I explained that much of the reason I am really very angry about how things have gone is because I felt a truly historic opportunity was tragically wasted after the Soviet Union fell and America became the sole world power.

But I've thought about that a bit more. Why did things really not change? If it actually was the case that world politics were overshadowed, constrained, or directed by the dynamic of East vs West, the dismantling of that dynamic should have resulted in something like the promised 'new world order'. But nothing like it has appeared.

It's hard not to conclude that the east/west dynamic really was not the story at all. Nor do I think that the present 'story', the west vs fundamentalist islam is actually a proper view of present states of affairs.

If Usama and Jung suddenly disappeared, if Pakistan and Iran and India threw their nukes in the ocean, I think some new enemy would be identified. The military would turn its antannae all about, knowing an enemy was out there, and if they were slow to their responsibilities, reps from Boeing and a lot of other newly desperate economic agents would encourage them to be less sanguine.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:57 am
Blatham
Blatham, your point illustrates a grave concern I have about the increasing privation of traditionally military forces. Contracting out with private companied (mercenaries?) do fight or to provide security which involves fighting may lead to marketing conflict and wars. After all, these companies won't survive financially unless there are conflicts and wars for them to bid on. This conflict of interest (for a peaceful world) may have unintended consequences that we should be concerned about.

If we think the military-industrial complex has inordinate power over our government, then think about the potential for mischief created by such independent contracts. They also might be beyond the reach of our laws to control them.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:04 am
Craven - what causes this?
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Blatham, your point illustrates a grave concern I have about the increasing privation of traditionally military forces. Contracting out with private companied (mercenaries?) do fight or to provide security which involves fighting may lead to marketing conflict and wars. After all, these companies won't survive financially unless there are conflicts and wars for them to bid on. This conflict of interest (for a peaceful world) may have unintended consequences that we should be concerned about.

If we think the military-industrial complex has inordinate power over our government, then think about the potential for mischief created by such independent contracts. They also might be beyond the reach of our laws to control them.

BBB

Craven, I've noticed during the last week that in some of my posts certain words, after the post is made, appear in green underlined. When clicking on that green word, it leads to a commerical ad. In the above post, the word is "security." I suspect that it is somehow connected with my firewall protection program.

Do you know what causes this? How can I prevent this so links to business ads do not occur. Is this happening in other people's posts?

BBB

p.s. You will notice that the word "firewall" became underlined and in green in this post.
0 Replies