Surrogate mother for daughter?

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:28 pm
I recently ran into a 50-something woman who I (being a typical naive male) assumed was overweight.

Later during the day she and her husband revealed to me during conversation over their carpets that she was pregnant with her daughter's child.

Now, I thought at first how very sweet and generous it was for both she and her husband to take on the child-bearing burden.

Then, I thought, wow, that would be weird--being the mother of your grandchild.

Or being the daughter, mother to a child your mother gave birth to.

Would this not get complicated--especially for the child as it grows older?

Just curious of other opinions. Maybe I'm the weird one--excuse me a sec. The wife's saying something--

What's that, Dear? I am the weird one?

General Tsao
Man of Chicken
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 975 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 04:42 am
Quote:
Now, I thought at first how very sweet and generous it was for both she and her husband to take on the child-bearing burden.

General- It is not like the mother carried the groceries for her daughter. In many cases, the biological mother is physically unable to carry a pregnancy to term. The surrogate will allow the mother to have the child.

There are two types of surrogacy. One is where the surrogate IS the biological mother of the child. The other is where an egg from the biological mother is implanted into the surrogate.

http://www.surromomsonline.com/articles/define.htm

I don't know how much psychological counselling is given a couple considering surrogacy, but I would hope that the doctor is secure about the emotional health of the two women before beginning this procedure.

As far as the surrogate you described is concerned, her participation will make her a grandma..........................and at 50+, that is just about the extent of "mothering" that most women want! Laughing
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 05:28 am
I think what that woman is doing for her daughter and her husband is very sweet and loving. What better gift could a mother give her child...than a child of her own.

Nothing weird about it General Tsao. I think it's a beautiful way to link the generations!
0 Replies