Wife's Brother in Delivery Room?

Foggy

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:52 pm
My wife is getting ready to born our second child and because of financial and work related reasons, I can't accompany her, or be in the delivery room, as I did with our first-born.
We live in a remote area and she has to travel about 400 kms to have the baby in the city. She will be staying with her brother, who lives in the city, until she's admitted to the hospital.
My problem is; he wants to go in the delivery room with her. I wouldn't mind his wife or another woman, but it doesn't seem right for her brother to be there, gawking. He's around 30 and my wife is 20.

Has anyone else run into a similar situation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,635 • Replies: 9
No top replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:08 pm
The LAST place in the world I would want to be is in the delivery room with my sister! Eeeewwww! Ptooy! Blaht! Pbbbttt! Pbbbttt! Barf! Puke! Etc.!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:27 pm
"Gawking"?

There are plenty of places to stand where you can't see nothin'. Especially if he's up there holding her hand, talking to her, etc.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:22 pm
Foggy, I thnk you're being a bit presumptuous. About something. I can't figure out what, exactly. I think it's great that her brother wants to be there.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 04:26 am
I agree with littlek- It is a devoted brother indeed who would stand by his sister while she is giving birth. What are you afraid of? Would you rather her be only with strangers during this time?

What does your wife want? THAT is the crucial issue!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:17 am
I'm with the others informed and articulate women. The doctor is going to be at the foot of the table, "catching" your heir and image. The baby's uncle is going to be encouraging your wife, the baby's mother.

Incest in the delivery room? Highly unlikely.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:33 am
I've heard that assisting a woman in child-birth is like mountain climbing - ignore the pain in your hands and don't look down...
0 Replies

Foggy

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 08:29 am
Thanks For The Advice
After reading your responses, I think you're right. I might be a little too paranoid. I was in there for my daughter and stuck by my wife's side and didn't see a thing.
My wife is query about him going too though, because awhile back, she was in the city for medical reasons, and stayed with her brother (whom she thinks the world of). About 1:00 AM, she struck cramps and thought she might be going early. She than came down stairs to alert her Bro and he's sat around with the guys smoking pot. He gets all concerned and brings her to the hospital (stoned) and everything and it really upset my wife.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 09:08 am
Well, the stoned/ irresponsible part is seperate from the brother part.

If your wife doesn't want him there, then she shouldn't have him there.

Have you looked into getting a doula? If there is nobody else available who your wife trusts, a doula might be a great option. We almost did, decided to go it alone (just me and hubby), and it was really a lot for him to handle on his own. (But that was a loooong labor -- 56 hrs.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 05:17 pm
Re: Thanks For The Advice
Foggy wrote:
My wife is query about him going too though, because awhile back, she was in the city for medical reasons, and stayed with her brother (whom she thinks the world of). About 1:00 AM, she struck cramps and thought she might be going early. She than came down stairs to alert her Bro and he's sat around with the guys smoking pot. He gets all concerned and brings her to the hospital (stoned) and everything and it really upset my wife.

If he had the sense to take her to the hospital when she was concerned that she was 'going early' while he was stoned, it seems like he'd be a good support to have at any time.

I think she's very lucky that she's got someone in her life who wants to be there with her - and who can be. If she's not comfortable with it, she will need to tell him, but you'll have to get her to think about it very seriously. Being there only with strangers, or having the support of a brother - who you say she thinks the world of - well, she's got to think seriously about it.

Does she have time to develop any kind of a relationship with a doula or labour coach in the city before the birth?
0 Replies