Progress in consciousness?

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 06:34 am
When the truth comes, will the question render the answer redundant?
Or... will the answer even be related to the question?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphenomenon
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 06:36 am
the 'truth will not 'come'.
It is already here.
And it 'is' the question.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 06:51 am
That took reading three times before I finally said uh huh ......
Smile
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:41 am
I wonder why. I wonder why.
I wonder why I wonder.
I wonder why I wonder
Why I wonder why I wonder!

Richard Feynman
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 09:22 am
'Such wondering, and meta-wondering, takes us to the heart of ... "the major unsolved problem in biology (Crick)" [,that is:] explaining how billions of neurons swapping chemicals give rise to such subjective experiences as consciousness, self-awareness, and awareness that others are conscious and self-aware.' -- Scientific American 2004
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:12 am
jnhofzinser wrote:

Quote:
Such wondering, and meta-wondering, takes us to the heart of ... "the major unsolved problem in biology" [,that is:] explaining how billions of neurons swapping chemicals give rise to such subjective experiences as consciousness, self-awareness, and awareness that others are conscious and self-aware.' -- Scientific American 2004
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:32 am
Quote:
According to the American Institute of Physics site, Werner Heisenberg was "one of the greatest physicists of the twentieth century" and "the founder of quantum mechanics." A succinct summary of the man's most famous work can be found here. Welcome to the real world.

Most people have heard his name, and I have certainly heard his name, what I meant is that I am not familiar with his work. I think it is a fool who blindly agrees with what has been written about a person without reviewing their work and making their own judgements from that. Are you familiar with his work? what about it is impressive? I come from a very scientific family and almost all my relatives publish in scientific journals so im not really impressed by credentials. Another thing is that quantum physics is probably the least solid field of science, I do not think there is enough evidence for some of the thigns which have been accepted as scientific fact by a large portion of the community, and there is certainly room for error.

Until I actually look into his work, I cannot comment on whether or not I think he is an idiot. Note that I did not call him an idiot, I said that "based on what was said about him he sounds like an idiot". It is highly possible that the topic we are talking about was misquoted, or misinterpreted...which is why I specifically did not say he was an idiot.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought this forum was intend to be an open exchange of thoughts. While you dismiss my thoughts on thoughts as nonsense I will resist the urge to dismiss your thoughts as simply rude and continue to exchange ideas with the forum. May I suggest that you think a bit more about the truths that may be uncovered if we try to exchange ideas without belittlement of others contributions.

Geli, it IS an open exchange of thoughts. I encourage you to keep posting your opinion. But I will also continue to keep posting mine. I feel it is the duty of any poster to keep his posts honest, especially when discussing topics such as this. I read over your post carefully, and I honestly think it was nonsense. If I had not let this be known, then other people might notice that there were no objections to what you said, and in a sense I would be agreeing with you. When I read something I think is bull****, I am going to let it be known...

Quote:
I agree that there are different levels of consciousness in the sense that we humans not only are conscious of what we perceive with our senses, but are also aware of our own existence and of our own thoughts on a more "interior" level. Thus, as I see it, there's a distinction between uncontrollable, seemingly random thoughts passing through our mind, and realisation of the existence of these.

I think everyone can agree with this...although I do not think this is what others (at least not myself) am talking about when I refer to "differen states/levels" of consciousness. I am speaking more from a computer/technical perspective...if consciousness is a variable, it is not a boolean, but a real number...meaning that it is not just on (1) or off (0) but it can be partially on (0.333423....) even though it would not be actually quantified in numbers...just wnated to clear that up in case someoen was confused.

Quote:
jnhofzinser wrote:
..................The human mind (and hence science) has its limits.

the mind is 'unlimited'; only the human mind has limits.

Some people are smarter than others. There are many people who cannot understand simple abstract concepts like calculus or basic scientific theories. But a "why" is just a LIST of reactions which exlpain the current state of being of an 'object'...and I think that there are certainly humans capable of understanding such a sequence, even for the most complex and abstract why's.

Quote:
Here science has explained the 'how' of night and day; the why of night and day is a non question - meaningless.

eh...i wouldn't say a NON question...it is a valid question, the answer is just obvious.

Quote:
BoGoWo wrote:
the future ... has not yet begun.
A truism. The trick is putting meat on the bones. What will drive this future? Artificial Intelligence? phft. Evolution? yawn. Once again, answers to this question require faith. Whatever it is, don't expect to encounter it in your lifetime.

jholt: what are you trying to say? "what will drive the future?" the future doesn't need an entity to control it....the only precondition to future is that spacetime exists. This is in agreeance with BoGoWo.

Quote:
.......Once again, answers to this question require faith. Whatever it is, don't expect to encounter it in your lifetime.

the only thing faith is required for is to believe somethign without enough evidence...therefore i suggest nobody take this advice.

Quote:
This is "why" the human mind is the true "final frontier" of science: the illusion/reality of decision-making (i.e. intention, choices, free-will, etc.) requires an infinite regress that breaks the bounds of the materialistic dogma "there is no 'why'".

haha...man...you are losing it. a "why" question is no more different than any other question...many why questions are answered...and why questions do exist...the only difference is that it is soemtimes harder to answer.

Quote:
Faith that there is a why, has created nothing but misguided speculation on the 'needs' of the universe.

eh? "why did I respond?" "because I disagreed with what you said and my personality makes it a priority to let it be known when i disagree with someone"

here is a why question and its answered. this question exists. no faith is required to believe that it exists, I can see that it exists without resorting to faith. so what do you mean?

Quote:
the 'truth will not 'come'.
It is already here.
And it 'is' the question.

Nonsense. Sounds like somethign out of the Matrix....

Quote:
'Such wondering, and meta-wondering, takes us to the heart of ... "the major unsolved problem in biology (Crick)" [,that is:] explaining how billions of neurons swapping chemicals give rise to such subjective experiences as consciousness, self-awareness, and awareness that others are conscious and self-aware.' -- Scientific American 2004

thank you jnholfzinser, finally, getting back on topic.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:56 am
Here's another "on-topic" one for you: Quest for Consciousness. Christof Koch has very generously posted the first chapter of his wonderful book on the internet! It should be required reading for anyone wanting to post here Wink
stuh505 wrote:
you are losing it.
And you are not reading very carefully.
stuh505 wrote:
Are you familiar with [Heisenberg's] work? what about it is impressive?
Shocked Laughing Exclamation
0 Replies

Tiaha

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 12:54 pm
I couldn't read that chapter, I have a PDF reader but it said that the file isn't PDF.

anyway, I do think there are different levels of consciousness. sleeping, trance, awake, etc...
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:14 pm
From that chapter...
Nagel wrote:
Consciousness is what makes the mind-body problem really intractable. . .Without consciousness the mind-body problem would be much less interesting. With consciousness it seems hopeless.
The Chalmers site linked above provides lots of reading on the "mind-body problem", btw.
Koch wrote:
Philosophers and scientists have pondered the mind-body problem in its present form since the publication of Descartes's Trait´e de l'homme in the mid-17th century. Until the 1980s, however, the vast majority of work in the brain sciences made no references to consciousness. In the last two decades, philosophers, psychologists, cognitive scientists, clinicians, neuroscientists, and even engineers have published dozens of monographs and books aimed at "discovering," "explaining," or "reconsidering" consciousness. Much of this literature is either purely speculative or lacks any detailed scientific program for systematically discovering the neuronal basis of consciousness
Koch is being far too generous to the literature. His "much" should be "most" if not "nearly all".
Koch wrote:
There is no guarantee that science will discover a final, objective theory of consciousness.
But then again, what do Koch and his co-worker Francis Crick know? Have you heard of them, stuh505?
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:29 pm
Stuh505 wrote
Quote:
Most people have heard his name, .. what I meant is that I am not familiar with his work...
I come from a very scientific family and almost all my relatives .. Another thing is that quantum physics is probably the least solid field of science..

Then you must be the black sheep of your family!

Relative
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:58 pm
Quote:
Stuh505 wrote
Quote:
Most people have heard his name, .. what I meant is that I am not familiar with his work...
I come from a very scientific family and almost all my relatives .. Another thing is that quantum physics is probably the least solid field of science..

Then you must be the black sheep of your family!

what is your problem? if you're going to insult me, give a logical reason...point out a mistake I made...at LEAST try to contribute to the discussion...perhaps reply to some of the other people, try to add some of your insight...but to simply reply for the purpose of insulting me, on no valid grounds, and add nothing to the discussion...is only a disgrace to yourself.

jnhofzinser: alright, your sardonic tone is quite unneccessary, but understandeable given that I insulted you first...no, I am not well versed in the work of Koch and Francis Crick (shock)...I don't study this field...I do not profess to be an expert in this field...I hope I didn't make that impression...although I don't think there ARE any experts in this field...and I must confess that I am predisposed to think that reading anything on this subject other than original research is a waste of time ...so hopefully this will contain some original research/data.

I will read over your document at my leisure and respond later...but for now if you are going to start commenting on quotes from it, it would be nice if you gave a little more context, such as defining what the "mind-body problem" is. thanks
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 06:22 pm
First thing I want to say is that I apologize for flaming you, Relative, and for making a fool of myself...heisenberg's uncertainty principle IS common knowledge and for some reason I didn't connect his name to the theory when mentioned.

However, the uncertainty principle does not apply to understanding "why" questions such as how consciousness exists or how the universe came to be...if I recall correctly it merely states that the better an objects position is known the less accurately it's velocity is known and vice versa. I am not familiar with how he derived this theory, I have not personally read any evidence to make me believe it yet (althouh that is not to saty tgat it doesnt exist) and so I am of course skeptical as everyone should be until they understand how the theory works...I know Einstein was skeptical of it as well.

In response to Koch's "Introduction to the Study of Consciousness" PDF...I think Koch has a pretty good handle. I am a bit dissappointed that he didn't put more opinion or research into it, though. As it stands, it seems like a bunch of questions (which I already wondered) and a bunch of facts (which I already knew) and a bunch of previous conjectures from other philosophers/scientistics (that seems largely illogical). But Koch's personaly opinions are widely agreeable.

I disagree with only one opinion of Koch's...and that is that consciousness encompasses the senses. I see consciousness as having a VERY VERY small part in our brain...it's a tiny little missing link that makes everything come together. Koch includes the senses as part of consciousness...this is wrong, the sense are just data inputs to the control source. Artificial eyes and ears can (and have) been made and sucessfully linked to the brain/consciousness (these artificial data sources are still capable of inspiring emotion as well).

I have been working on algorthms to emulate human behavior and this has led me to the conclusion that nearly everytihng in our brain can be emulated accurately (on a rudimentary level)...but self awareness is the one elusive property...this is the one thing that cannot be abstractly implemented (and hence cannot be programmed), and this is what I think consciousness is...I am sure that it is some kind of chemical reaction...it must be.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:21 pm
The brain is nothing more than tissue. A protoplasmic hard drive that can no more experience consciousness than a kidney ... all it does is store data from the senses. Of what use would a brain have for consciousness or self .... it is a componet.

Consciousness springs from a much deeper well than a land bound clay shell.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:37 pm
Stuh:

Good appology bro - well done. Most users on other boards simply flame and run.

Gel:

I agree bro. Never quite looked at it that way.

Also, your sig - is that from the Euthyphro? Do you know what dialougue that came from? Just curious. Wink

TF
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 09:57 pm
Quote:
The brain is nothing more than tissue. A protoplasmic hard drive that can no more experience consciousness than a kidney ... all it does is store data from the senses. Of what use would a brain have for consciousness or self .... it is a componet.

Consciousness springs from a much deeper well than a land bound clay shell.

Gelisgeti, I must vehemently disagree once again. Your post is completely false. The brain is much more than an organic hard drive. It also controls basic bodily functions for survival such as breathing, sleeping, body temperature regulation, fluid balance, digestion, and blood pressure. It also is home to our internal clock. The brain also is used to control all movement and senses of the body. Feelings and behavioral response patterns have also been proven to be controlled from the brain. The brain also allows us to perform pattern recognition to do things like understand language. The brain is capable of logic, emotions, imagination, abstract reasoning.

I will refer to consciousness as self-awareness from now on because that is the only thing I specifically mean when I say consciousness.

I do not know how our self awareness is quantified, whether it is some kind of electrical / magnetic / or undiscovered particle field...or perhaps it has no physical representation. But I do know for certain that it is sustained by the brain, because I know that it turns on and off with the brain, and that energy from the brain is used to think.

I also know that everything that exists has a physical representation out of energy or matter, even light, black holes, and "dark matter" (if it exists). I think it is also logical to assume that self-awareness is not "something" but rather a property of something, like "brightness" is to light...and that there is a physical source for it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:01 pm
I consider consciousness to be our most profound and significant mystery. I have no idea to "explain" either how it came about in the universe or why it did so emerge. But, this word, emerge, suggests that at some point, when biological structures, processes and functions became sufficiently complex consciousness simply, but mysteriously, emerged. It is an emergent phenomenon. But that is more than to say that it is no more than an epiphenomenon. It does not satisfy me to say that it is merely a reflection of physical processes. This form of "physicalism" begs the question: remember, we are talking about such physical structures, processes, and functions from our vantage point of CONSCIOUSNESS. The mystery itself is a mystery. I agree with Gellisgesti that its sources are much deeper and mysterious. Consciousness is a product of Evolution, but with a capital E.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:18 pm
Quote:
This form of "physicalism" begs the question: remember, we are talking about such physical structures, processes, and functions from our vantage point of CONSCIOUSNESS.

I'm sorry, but this sentence makes absolutely no sense. also, what is meant by the capital E in evolution also
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:54 pm
Stuh, just an intuition of the moment. Sorry for it's obscurity. I wanted to describe this in terms much grander than the biological evolution of mundane science. I wanted to couch the emergence of consciousness in more cosmic terms--hence the capital E for Evolution (and perhaps Emergence). Don't you ever get such urges for hyperboly?
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:33 pm
JLNobody, If consciousness is an emergent phenomena then Krishnamurti, Buddhism nondualism etc. etc. are false; consciousness cannot emerge from a fiction that it itself has created. Smile

If objects of observation are observer dependent; have to be observed to exist as such, then the brain which is rarely observed does >not< give rise to consciousness, for cause and effect only come into existence upon observation. Consciousness has to be prior to that which is observed, prior to the observable uiniverse.
0 Replies