Whoops.

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:01 pm
Looks like there was a little error made by the state department when they reported terrorism levels dropped in 2003, an item highly touted by the Bush admin as proof that we are 'winning the war on terror.'

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2026&ncid=716&e=28&u=/latimests/20040609/ts_latimes/uswillrevisedataonterror

Quote:

Yet another example of inaccuracies presented as fact by the Admin. I swear, these guys apparently have the worst fact checkers EVER.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 552 • Replies: 5
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:10 pm
If they are the worst, why do they keep correcting themselves? I think you are looking at this as though there is some balck ops agenda at work...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:10 pm
That's very misleading. It is true that the criteria for attacks had been recently revised and attacks like the ones within the Iraq war zone were not counted.

But this revision criteria was grandfathered and aplied to previous years.

Either way, there can be pro-administration spin.

Without the territorial attacks that had been exclusded the administration portrayed the stats as a consequence of their actions (which is misleading given that the statistical decline predates the administration).

By including attacks such as those in Iraq that are more a product of an invasion than terrorism the administration gets to portray the times as needing the actions the administration tends to favor (and subsequently a need for the administration itself).
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:19 pm
McGentrix wrote:
If they are the worst, why do they keep correcting themselves? I think you are looking at this as though there is some balck ops agenda at work...

I think the point is to be good enough to not have to make such corrections in the first place.

But maybe this is best for them (admin) in the long run. Very rarely do corrections get the press and attention that the original headline makes.

So if a bunch of people see the "we are wonderful" headline, hype it, spread the news, lock in that strong first impression, the "oops, we kind of f*cked it up" correction piece doesn't get nearly the same press or attention.

Oh well.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:22 pm
Yeah, the hope is that the admin would make sure about such things before going public with them as sucesses.

Gosh, I sure can't think of any other times the administration has gotten into trouble for reporting fiction as fact. Can you?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:38 pm
from a quote by y6y6y6 I saw on metafilter, on this same subject:

Quote:
Before - The number of terrorist attacks had dropped to its lowest level in 34 years.

After - The number of significant terrorist incidents increased to its highest level in 20 years.

The State Department's explaination - Clerical errors.

We have a government of asshats. It's an assocracy.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies